Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Finally got my 2003 Legacy GT!

After going back and forth trying to decide which car to buy, I finally bought one, and it finally arrived!!!! Woo-hoo!!!

Okay, so it only came with one key (I knew I'd forget to ask the dealer at least one important question), and it doesn't have an owner's manual, but overall I'm very pleased with it, it looks and drives freakin awesome!

Quick question for you Legacy owners: This car's NZ New. It says it's got the factory datadot, and it's supposed to have factory immobilizer. Does that automatically arm itself when I turn the car off? I have no clue how it works, coz no owner's manual :(

I'll take pics soon!!!!!

EDIT: ********** w000000000000000000t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Added pics below :D **********

dubbedup said:

data dot, is like a way of invisible inking your parts,

Sorry, yeah I wasn't clear in the post. It comes with factory immobiliser and alarm. I'm just wondering how I can test to see how it works.

DRFVDR said:

easy

wind window down

lock car

reach in and unlock door thru open window

open door

listen to the screaming :)

+1

works for most alarm systems, factory or not

Guest boostin

Yup, as soon as the key is pulled out of the ignition the immobiliser is active.

Where did you buy it from? Tell them you want a manual and a spare key with it (free of charge of course).

DRFVDR said:

easy

wind window down

lock car

reach in and unlock door thru open window

open door

listen to the screaming :)

Before I test this out, can you tell me how I turn it off, lol? I'm assuming I just press the lock or unlock button again, but I didn't wanna take chances and have it screaming at me.

I got it from Canterbury Wholesale Limited. They're MTA approved and all, but I had a really bad experience with them. They're not obligated to give me anything at this point (they didn't technically lie about anything), so I'd rather just wash my hands clean of them. I need to take it in to Highbrook Automotive (they seem to be who everyone here recommends) and get my 100,000km service done. The dealer had already done the cambelt, but I have no clue if they did the fluids (which after reading the other thread in General forum, I think I need to get the cambelt off again just to get that changed, right?), so I'm gonna have Highbrook check to make sure the cambelt was done properly, and that it's not some shoddy cambelt. If it is shoddy stuff, I'm not sure what I'll do. I was quoted around $1200 for all the 100,000km service w/o cambelt change.

If anyone wants to hear the full story of how bad the dealer is, just PM me, I don't wanna bore you guys with a wall of text of me complaining.

Overall, I like the car, and I took a risk buying it without seeing it, but the exterior and interior looks mint, so I'm really happy with that. Now just gotta make sure it's mint under the hood too, and I'll be set.

Not long after you take the key out of the ignition you should get a flashing key on the dash board. I think this means the immobilizer is active.

Like others have said. lock it using the button on the remote with a window down, leave it 30 seconds or so unlock the door through the window (lock button goes the opposite you you think it should) and see if the alarm goes off. Mine uses the horn and is real loud.

If it does just use the unlock button on the remote to turn it off.

Car looks just like mine except mines Jap. Mine actually as a subaru vehicle security sticker on the rear left passenger window.

I think i have a US manual somewhere.

Ah, yeah, I have a Subaru "alarm/immobiliser" sticker on the car as well. I'll test out the alarm tomorrow, hehe. I'm not even sure what all the buttons/switches do, so I'll probably ask you guys if I can't figure it out.

Quick question about the AC/heater though, if I set it at a certain temperature, does it automatically just set the car to that temperature, and then turn itself off until it needs to turn on again?

I've actually already scratched my front left wheel. I've never had to park on the curb in the US, so I'm completely not used to it, and I knew it was gonna happen within the first week, so I just shrugged it off. Can't really see it anyway. I'm totally psyched about the car! ;D

Yep, set a temperature on the climate control and it will try and maintain that temperature in the cabin through the adjustment of fan speed and vent selection.

Normally it'll default to having the air conditioning on too.

Shame about the wheel... you'll get the hang of it. It helps to tilt down the curb side mirror when parking so you can see the curb. Normally you'll be backing into a parallel park rather then driving forwards into it.

Anyone know if I should use 95 or 98 fuel for this car, given that it's NZ New? The sticker said "minimum of 95", which to me means that the higher the better, but I've heard in the past that sometimes a lesser grade is more suitable for a car and it would perform better if it was meant to use a certain grade.