Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Opinion please '02 STI or '05 WRX wagon

richm

richm said:

That brings me to my dilema and why I wanted your opinions. The '01-'02 STI wagon is 195kw and the '05 WRX is 169kw - not much difference - but then comes the 6 speed gearbox, harder tune, great looking, e.t.c. And I wonder is it worth giving up 3-4 years of newness fo the same coin? Perhaps it is?

NZ new and JDM v7 hatches had the same 206kW as the sedan.

UK and Australian STi v7's were detuned to 195kW.

If you want a nice daily driver go for a newer WRX, they are fine for most drivers.

If you want something more hardcore and bling laden go for an STi, v7 or a lighter v6.

Be mindful you can expect some big bills on any high mileage Subaru.

If you want to forever kick yourself for NOT buying an STI, buy a WRX... :P

There are three types of WRX owners:

Those that buy an STI.

Those that buy a non-Sti, drive an STI and then cause permanent brain damage from smacking head against a wall.

...and those that haven't driven an STI yet.

DPI said:

Those that buy an STI.

Those that buy a non-Sti, drive an STI and then cause permanent brain damage from smacking head against a wall.

hahah... :D

what abt the type who spent a lot of money on their wrx to get to an sti level and still know the sti is better lol

pappu']

[quote name='DPI said:

Those that buy an STI.

/quote]

what abt the type who spent a lot of money on their wrx to get to an sti level and still know the sti is better lol

why didn't you just say what about QRAF's car ;D ;D

QRAF']

[quote name='DPI said:

Those that buy an STI.

/quote]

why didn't you just say what about QRAF's car ;D ;D

hahaha now that u mention it... nah bro, im in the same boat - had previously donne t the wrx mod thing and then went and got an sti and realised should have got the sti in the 1st place lol..

i was nearly in the same boat all over again as i got offered $8000 trade in of a 2006 wrx which was worth 19,999 at the time but my wife said whats the point just buy an sti next year when we can afford it.

She has now back tracked and wants me to get a holden ::) buy we'll cross that line when it happens

QRAF said:

i was nearly in the same boat all over again as i got offered $8000 trade in of a 2006 wrx which was worth 19,999 at the time but my wife said whats the point just buy an sti next year when we can afford it.

She has now back tracked and wants me to get a holden ::) buy we'll cross that line when it happens

Buy a HOLDEN?

I thought they were just for drug dealers and Company cars...

Jeeze, bad enough buying a WRX over an STI, but buying a Holden is like buying a budget n/a Impreza... :P

Don't Holdens still have a hitch behind the bumper for hooking up the horses? ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

As per my opening thread I am looking to buy during the next couple of months. Or more specifically in the new year after all the xmas holiday period - end of Jan.

BUT, following your valuable feedback, I will go for the '01 or '02 Sti wagon with around 80kms. They are just HOT and not so expensive either. I really, really, really want to change now but am holding back due to family comittments.

Thanks again for your assistance. They helped me to decide on which road I will take.

richm said:

Hi,

As per my opening thread I am looking to buy during the next couple of months. Or more specifically in the new year after all the xmas holiday period - end of Jan.

BUT, following your valuable feedback, I will go for the '01 or '02 Sti wagon with around 80kms. They are just HOT and not so expensive either. I really, really, really want to change now but am holding back due to family comittments.

Thanks again for your assistance. They helped me to decide on which road I will take.

No problems . That'll be alot faster than the Legacy!

These special editions are kinda coll if you want something a bit different

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Type/auction-251896688.htm

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just letting you know I am the proud owner of a mint V7 STI wagon with 106kms. Great car. Much faster than my old WRX and GTB to that matter. Thanks for your advice, I think I would have gone with the WRX otherwise. Having 6 gears is great. Does the water spray on the intercooler make much of a difference? I guess I had better put some pics up later...

Rich.