Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V10 Sti

2dr

Hi All,

Just doing a bit of research in regards to these cars, I am looking at getting one. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues know of issues that occur with this model, pro vs cons of the 2.0 vs 2.5, jap vs nz new. Would really like a spec-c v10 but they only come up now and again.

Any info feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 2dr

Optical']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

The best of the GD chassis.

/quote]

The GD chassis barely changed bar the hubs, or do you mean the best headlights of the GD chassis?

Hubs changed from 5x100PCD to 114.3x5 with the STI v9, more importantly the V9 also productionised the v8 spec C front end re-jigged suspension mounting.

My testdrive of the V10 was lost in the Great CS Crash of '09 but I found my original notes so redux time;

;D

Adventures in Tyrekicking: 05 JDM Impreza STi v10

When I first saw the pictures, I thought YUK.

Later seeing one in the metal and in different colours, the reaction softened.

Having seen a few more and the yuk has returned.

The nose job is a truly awful piece of rhinoplasty.

If a plastic surgeon had done a similar job he would have been sued off the planet.

The rest of the car looks a mishmash rather than a coherent whole.

Bits have been tacked on instead of being designed from the outset.

JDM's do without headlight washers which tidy up the front bumper a bit but other details jar.

The standard wheels look like Repco copies of the previous model BBS's.

It also looks like Repco supplied the roof air deflector and the chintzy taillights.

The interior fares a little better.

General design and ergonomics are OK but the quality of materials is cheap and nasty to the touch, especially the ventilation controls and the column stalks. The red faced instruments and their faux chrome surrounds are particularly garish and not very legible.

Over the years STi seats have gotten wider and more softly bolstered.

The v10 continues the trend. The front seats are actually quite comfortable until you start cornering hard, then the side support evaporates.

The major controls fall easily to hand, you sit quite high so visibilty is good all-round. Pedal positioning is good, with adequate spacing for heel and toe-ing.

Start the car up and it sounds rather pedestrian, certainly not like a rally-bred road warrior. On the move the immense torque impresses. The new engine pulls like a freight train with very good flexibility. Learn to drive around the noticeable turbo lag and this is a very fast car that is also happy to potter around town in sixth gear, give it some gas and it just pulls without hesitation.

On the open road the new car is more relaxed than previous STi's and would make a competent cruiser except for the noise. Road noise from the big, fat Potenza RE-070's. Wind noise from all the appendages that stick out; the door mirrors, the rear roof deflector.

Handling is pretty good.

The car just goes where it's pointed. But the response is soft rather than instant. A lot of this has to do with the dodo dead steering. It's well geared to minimize wheel twirling but is totally devoid of feedback and suffers from weird power assistance that results in the weighting changing as you corner which can be un-nerving. Ride quality isn't too bad for a performance car. The damping/springing is firm but can be caught out on rough roads, sending the car into a lateral porpoising motion. Braking will have your eyes popping out of your skull, the pedal is firm and unyielding, suffering from a lack of progression.

STi/WRX's currently make up just 20% of Impreza sales and are declining.

With this latest version it's not hard to see why.

The car is still good value for money but the current STi concept is getting stale..

A modern performance car needs more than what the STi v10 offers.

Roll on 2007 and the Impreza replacement.

Postscript;

2007 did indeed roll on with the disappointing MY08 Impreza, also testdrove one of those and will post the notes if there's demand.

;)

The ultimate V10 was the mighty STI RA-R.

sti_speccrar2_02.jpg

Runner-up, the S204

One on Tardme now

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-200636837.htm

original.jpg

Optical']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

The GD chassis barely changed bar the hubs, or do you mean the best headlights of the GD chassis?

That is indeed what i meant. As i never had the interest to find out (other than it's alot stiffer) RE: Differences

And Newsuba will have to wait in line; I want a writers job at EVO

I tht the one old mixja had was probably the best ~

Ver 10 WRX STI spec RA

The new impreza makes all previous models look good.

I have a JDM 2.0 V10 2006 STi, and I love it, I test drove a 2.5l and it was nothing close to the one I got, it does have a cat back exhaust over the 2.5l, the ride is firm and handles like on rails, th rear wing annoys me somewhat but it;s been like it is for ages so yeah. I didn't like the nose on it either but as usual it has grown on me and I now love the V10 overall shape, if you can afford a V10 I would take it over a V9 as I would hope at least in an engineering sense they improve with each version, and the safety rating is better too (for the kids :) )

Overall any late model STi is going to make the owner happy as they are all fun cars to drive.

newsuba']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

Hubs changed from 5x100PCD to 114.3x5 with the STI v9, more importantly the V9 also productionised the v8 spec C front end re-jigged suspension mounting.

More than just a PCD change, it was the whole wheel bearing and knuckle that changed to a more 'motorsport' orientated design

What is this suspension mounting change you speak of?

Yes, that's part of the productionisation of the v8 Spec C front end.

Front lower arms are different length, with different mounting (IIRC).

The effect is increased castor for greater stability and less understeer.

If you look at the front wheels of a v8 Spec C or STI v9, the front wheels no longer sit squarely in the guard, they are pushed forward by 15mm. Wheelbase increases by same amount (v9 2540mm, v8 2525mm).

newsuba said:

Yes, that's part of the productionisation of the v8 Spec C front end.

Front lower arms are different length, with different mounting (IIRC).

The effect is increased castor for greater stability and less understeer.

If you look at the front wheels of a v8 Spec C or STI v9, the front wheels no longer sit squarely in the guard, they are pushed forward by 15mm. Wheelbase increases by same amount (v9 2540mm, v8 2525mm).

Actually, the revision stems from the V7 RA Spec C (2001):

Rev. B (2001)

Along with the rest of the Impreza line, the grill and body of the WRX STi was minorly updated by Peter Stevens to give it a more angular look when seen from the side. The foglight covers had pink STi lettering. Not much else besides minor suspension improvements and a small increase in torque output was done.

The WRX Type RA STi was dropped for a new WRX STi Spec C. This model was much lighter than the WRX Type RA as it received lighter glass and body panels. The Spec C's handling was much improved due to an increase in caster (from 3.5 degrees to 5 degrees). This was achieved not by changing the suspension mounting point, but by lengthening the wheelbase (15 mm). This was done by including different control arms. This increased caster significantly helped the turn-in capabilities of the car. The Spec C also has a steering rack ratio of 13:1. The transmission is supplied with its own oil cooler.

The WRX STi wagon had ceased to be produced.

Subaru then carried it over into the STi models from V8.5 onwards:

Rev. E (2004)

The WRX STi receives the same increase in wheelbase as the Spec C. All STis received additional rear fender flaring in order to allow an increase in wheel size. The wheel size went from 17" x 7.5" to 17" x 8". In accordance with the increased wheel width, steering lock-to-lock turns have been reduced.