Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Chinese made turbos

wildturkey

I've come across a NZ internet based auto parts business selling Chinese made turbos.........

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=50 they are prolly not the only one

I'm not saying they are ****e just because they're Chinese.......Prices seem quite reasonable but obviously they're not the factory item.

Has anyone run one of these copies and how did you find it?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wildturkey']

[quote name='driftrex said:

i have the gt30 from driven performance on my wrx, but its not running yet so cant confirm if its any good, but looking at it it does look reasonably well made for the price.

/quote]

thanks.......be good to hear how it runs once its goin

yea i few people are interested to see how it goes, just need to sell this damn legacy then i will get it all finished and running and let you know.

btw thats my auction on trademe you asked question on bro.

driftrex']

i have the gt30 from driven performance on my wrx, but its not running yet so cant confirm if its any good, but looking at it it does look reasonably well made for the price.

/quote]

thanks.......be good to hear how it runs once its goin

yea i few people are interested to see how it goes, just need to sell this damn legacy then i will get it all finished and running and let you know.

btw thats my auction on trademe you asked question on bro.

I've asked a few lately.........which one?

driftrex said:

driven performance is also a club sponsor so you get even better deals than whats on the website, i have dealt with them quite a bit now.

umm alternator bracket auction.i replied earlier but if you got any other questions pm me.

That's good info to know about driven performance...............ahhh yes the alt bracket. yeah lookin at flippin manifold........seen a few diff variation of it

There are people on both sides of the argument... those that swear they cane their DSR/masterpower/etc without any issues, and those that blow them up after their first run.

I myself think that the latter are probably due to not sorting the oiling out... generally if you buy a cheap turbo, you're doing it to save money, and you'll install it yourself... so be careful with oiling.

To be honest the quality control might not be up there with Garrett etc, but for $500 you can't go wrong really. Just buy from a reputable (i.e. reasonably large / longstanding) supplier, so if it comes to warranty/CGA, you save hassles.

http://forums.d1nz.com/viewtopic.php?t=25219&highlight=chinese+turbo&sid=c0d273249db401f199a441155d68be18

wildturkey']

driven performance is also a club sponsor so you get even better deals than whats on the website, i have dealt with them quite a bit now.

umm alternator bracket auction.i replied earlier but if you got any other questions pm me.

/quote]

That's good info to know about driven performance...............ahhh yes the alt bracket. yeah lookin at flippin manifold........seen a few diff variation of it

yea there are a few different ways you can do it, i can mod the bracket for better adjustment, using the factory adjusting bolt and slide, just requires a small tab to be welded on. am thinking bout changing the one i have fitted to my car like that, even though it hasnt been an issue yet.

Erelyes said:

There are people on both sides of the argument... those that swear they cane their DSR/masterpower/etc without any issues, and those that blow them up after their first run.

I myself think that the latter are probably due to not sorting the oiling out... generally if you buy a cheap turbo, you're doing it to save money, and you'll install it yourself... so be careful with oiling.

To be honest the quality control might not be up there with Garrett etc, but for $500 you can't go wrong really. Just buy from a reputable (i.e. reasonably large / longstanding) supplier, so if it comes to warranty/CGA, you save hassles.

http://forums.d1nz.com/viewtopic.php?t=25219&highlight=chinese+turbo&sid=c0d273249db401f199a441155d68be18

yea totally agree with all that, from the paper work i got with the turbo its very very important to not have to much or to little oil flow, also if fitted by a professional you also get a full 1 year replacement warranty, so yea not bad for what cost me around $560 to my door, when i was looking at the equivalent size garrett i would of been looking at least a $2000 min, and im just not in a position to be spending that on a turbo quite yet.

Erelyes said:

cheers for that info sum good stuff in there

driftrex']

[quote name='Erelyes said:

url]http://forums.d1nz.com/viewtopic.php?t=25219&highlight=chinese+turbo&sid=c0d273249db401f199a441155d68be18[/url]

yea totally agree with all that, from the paper work i got with the turbo its very very important to not have to much or to little oil flow, also if fitted by a professional you also get a full 1 year replacement warranty, so yea not bad for what cost me around $560 to my door, when i was looking at the equivalent size garrett i would of been looking at least a $2000 min, and im just not in a position to be spending that on a turbo quite yet.

that's good 2 know bout the warranty

Guest itsgotgo

I am sure you will find 98% of turbos are made in china.

Just depends as to which company you buy one through.

With a big name brand,they are cast and all that in china then shipped out to the company for tidying up process.

World products,summit racing supplies have all their gear done in china then cleaned and surfaced in the states.

It just depends on the supplier as to the finished product.

Go back 15 years and you will see sh it made in china,still do its just raw product,but nothing like it was 15 or more years back.

No time taken to finshing the product properly like some of the trademe jobs. :)

Have seen t/70 chinese turbo make 320kw on a rotor and has done for the last 3 years,no issues.

But it was cleaned up and checked before being put on the engine..

For those that say "I wont touch that chinese cr ap",pull your heads from the clouds!

You touch it every day,we live in the real world here chaps ;)

Awaits the flame throwing :P

Erelyes said:

Keep away from DSR i had problem with them and wont refund our money. brought a front mount kit from them for one our cars, car wasnt going at that time so there was no point putting it on, once we got the car going and got the right turbo, and about to put the front mount on they wont refund our money as it was for GC8 but for a SKYLINE. but the box said its WRX GC8

The problem with chinese stuff is its not all equal in quality. Some good, average and poor.

Some of the manufacters get a bit greedy and skimp on the quality. Short sighted management.

I mean if you start making poison baby milk formula to increase your profit margins... some people there are not going to worry about making poor quality turbos to make a quick buck

driftrex']

[quote name='DPI said:

Wouldn't touch a chinese manufactured part that had any moving parts... :P

/quote]

so you dont actually have any experience to share with us? lol.

you might not touch them, doesnt mean they arent useable. not all of us can afford expensive big name turbos.

Ha, ha.

Love this attitude.

If i can't have a 500kW moster with big name parts, i'll do it on the cheap with chinese crap parts... :D

If you can't afford to buy the right gear, you can't afford to do it, period!

And, yes, i'm aware many big name brands have their products made in China.

They do it because in China, you can hire someone who'll work their ass off for peanuts, so you can make a disgustingly large profit.

There are also many, many Chinese companies, ripping off the design of 'genuine products' and making very, very dodgy quality copies which they then sell to muppets who wanna build a high HP/kW modded car, but can't actually afford to.

Once you've got your cheap Chinese mosta turbo on and making 500kW, you gonna run high performance TRIANGLE tyres too?

Your money, your choice...

After seeing the piping, clamps and samco that come in the DSR kits i wouldn't buy anything off them, especially a turbo. It was all complete rubbish. Samco was weak, the alloy was stupidly thin and weak and the clamps were crap. Kit didn't even come close to fitting either.

we just installed a kit from RedLine Perfomance the other week on a ver8 sti. everything in the kit fits perfectly even comes with extra hoses and clamps and the price are pretty much the same or cheaper but then this thread isnt about frontmount

DPI']

[quote name='DPI said:

Wouldn't touch a chinese manufactured part that had any moving parts... :P

/quote]

so you dont actually have any experience to share with us? lol.

you might not touch them, doesnt mean they arent useable. not all of us can afford expensive big name turbos.

Ha, ha.

Love this attitude.

If i can't have a 500kW moster with big name parts, i'll do it on the cheap with chinese crap parts... :D

If you can't afford to buy the right gear, you can't afford to do it, period!

And, yes, i'm aware many big name brands have their products made in China.

They do it because in China, you can hire someone who'll work their ass off for peanuts, so you can make a disgustingly large profit.

There are also many, many Chinese companies, ripping off the design of 'genuine products' and making very, very dodgy quality copies which they then sell to muppets who wanna build a high HP/kW modded car, but can't actually afford to.

Once you've got your cheap Chinese mosta turbo on and making 500kW, you gonna run high performance TRIANGLE tyres too?

Your money, your choice...

lol 500kws? triangle tyres?