Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Loose gearstick bushes

cliffdunedin

Hey guys! My gearstick in my legacy wagon is VERY sloppy though there are no other known issues with it(noise etc) i have been doing a little reading through the forums and realised it must be the bushes!

I'm just wondering how hard is it too replace these and where i would buy them from?

Cheers

easy as to do if your shift coupling has removable bushes, and replace with new genuine ones

other type need coupling replaced

Pre 98 models also need a spring attached between the coupling and the gearbox

legacy666 said:

had same issues with mine. Bit of a mission pulling everything apart, used alcathene pipe instead , cost me $4 from bunnings.

as opposed to $5per bush genuine and no hassles

I've taken my linkage assembly out in half an hour, it's pretty easy if you're familiar with the underside of your car. Taking them out for the first time is a pain in the arse, cause of the double spring pin holding it to the gearbox (I replaced it with a bolt, nut, and spring washer, never had issues), but once that's out it's easy.

Here's why they get sloppy

IMG_5242.jpg

And a new item

shifterknuckle.jpg

And ichiban, is there a way to get the assmbly's appart, cause from what i see, it's impossible. If it's a gen 1 leggy, then sweet, the linkage is bolted together, but the newer ones aren't.

wow, can some one tell me more about this spring on the pre '98 coupling?

I had a spring left over on my manual conversion about 3 years ago, and i didn't fit one between the coupling and the gearbox. Can you explain a little better about where it goes?

sorry no pics, but the are pretty much the same shape at the rubber ones but not tapered at the flanges if that makes sense, i just machined mine square.

i machined mine to fit my linkages and pins to suit them to within a thou , i could machine them to a given size to a thou but i trial fitted mine about a dozen times before i was happy with them, more to get the sideways movement tight not the pin movement tight. i doubt they would fit straight up if i made some to your sizes, no disrespect or anything. how ever if i had the whole linkage assembly i could make it all to suit. this would take some time mind.

depends how tight you want your shifter , new bushes and pins that are not worn suit most.

hope this pic makes sense

smalllinkage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had mine done at Subby mechanic in Chch and the solid end link part was $140 (genuine) and $175 for labour - expensive!! but well worth it though, you actually have a gear box rather than a sloppy pottle of yougurt with a plastic spoon in it lol