Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Neutral'in down hills

R.D

Guest boostcut
 R.D said:

i think you dont understand how the injector cut off OVER 1500 rpm with no throttle, i find coming down the bombays if i leave it in 5th it runs away to 125-130k so no need to find extra speed there.

haha whoops, yeah i read it as under 1500rpm. But it didn't come across that all models have this cut? Do old sti's? Or is it more of a legacy thing? And i dunno what the bombays but im guessing thats a vertical drop haha, coz mine will not gain speed if i keep it in 5th down a hill on motorway.

and lets rewind a second. Could someone please explain to me how if my injectors cut, when im off the throttle, how come my car still roars. If there is no explosion taking place, wheres the noise coming from? ???

this injector shut off has been around longer than sti has been around dude. try the oldschool k-jectronic injection, no vacuum=no fuel into the donkey, and that was in mid 80s

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member

looks like we are getting somewhere

get in your car at the top of a hill and try and push start it with nothing on - you get exactly the same sound.. (like its trying to run)

I KNOW this cos I did it with Funkytowns recent purchase... only we ended up with a non running car further from where it was supposed to be....

If the injectors didnt shut off, you would hear a crackling popping noise from unburned fuel being ignited by the hot headers. Just like on old carbed cars without a shutoff and on my car when i unplug the speed sensor :D

Back in the day (in the mighty DX corolla) I would turn the engine off going down a hill, give the throttle a good couple of pumps then flick the ignition back on.....BANG, and a four foot flame out the exhaust.

While on the subject of slow drivers. What is with people deciding 80kph is an acceptable speed to travel at on a straight, flat Canterbury plains road? I find these people every time I drive on West Coast Rd.

i see, i see.well i just learnt something, although it still doesn't seem right in my head haha.

So in conclusion, it seems the only benefit of slipping into neutral is to escape the rumble of the beast, when your ears crave some sweet silence haha.

aim said:

Meh 80kph is fine on the straight and flat, you can just overtake. It's when they do 50kph in corners at 100 on straights that annoys me :/

Sounds familiar. Had a 90's V8 commie fly past me at 115-odd, piloted by the usual balding old guy; this is just north of the Brynderwyns. He then proceeded to mash the failstick whenever he SAW a corner, and slowed down to about 30km/h for each damn corner. My 150hp of FURY flew past him on the first safe straight...after having me haggle him from behind the whole way down it wasn't surprising that he didn't resist. Lucky in this case...he could have gone back up to 115 and f**ked everything up all over again :P

Auto just ain't an excuse for it either; I've taken Frankie on cruises. Hopai and SpotMe can vouch for the boat - she's fine with a spot of extra rowing. ;)

JoKer said:

a foot of flame OR the entire rear section? ahhh good times... then off to shop for a COBY yea boi!

Yip, Coby was the muffler to have. Back when a 2" exhaust was massive :D

The exhaust is probably my first memory of a subaru. I remember seeing an RS legacy in about'95 that had a 3" exhaust, that was the moment I decided I had to have one.

QIK_KAS said:

If i have a headache I coast my car on the straight where I can.. cause my god its noisy :( IF it was legal to wear earmuffs I would haha

Since when is it illegal to wear earmuffs? I wear them whenever I drive my RS... Never had any problems with Police etc over it...?

Munkvy']

[quote name='QIK_KAS said:

If i have a headache I coast my car on the straight where I can.. cause my god its noisy :( IF it was legal to wear earmuffs I would haha

/quote]

Since when is it illegal to wear earmuffs? I wear them whenever I drive my RS... Never had any problems with Police etc over it...?

went to chch with a box ear buds (or wahtever you call them) im my 3tte ke70 basicaly staight pipe and at 100k it was soooooo drony!

Treecrusher said:

Back in the day (in the mighty DX corolla) I would turn the engine off going down a hill, give the throttle a good couple of pumps then flick the ignition back on.....BANG, and a four foot flame out the exhaust.

While on the subject of slow drivers. What is with people deciding 80kph is an acceptable speed to travel at on a straight, flat Canterbury plains road? I find these people every time I drive on West Coast Rd.

I used to do that in my old Leone lol.

One guy I new did that for a fuerl eccommany run. he switched the iginattion back on and boom went the muffler. It was blown to pieces lol ;D

Shale']

[quote name='aim said:

Meh 80kph is fine on the straight and flat, you can just overtake. It's when they do 50kph in corners at 100 on straights that annoys me :/

/quote]

Sounds familiar. Had a 90's V8 commie fly past me at 115-odd, piloted by the usual balding old guy; this is just north of the Brynderwyns. He then proceeded to mash the failstick whenever he SAW a corner, and slowed down to about 30km/h for each damn corner. My 150hp of FURY flew past him on the first safe straight...after having me haggle him from behind the whole way down it wasn't surprising that he didn't resist. Lucky in this case...he could have gone back up to 115 and f**ked everything up all over again :P

Sorry Shale but thats FAIL post, we all now 90's Commies cant go straight let alone go around a corner(s)... ;D :D

If its anything like the old blue one we had, it'll make it out of the driveway but faceplant into something retarded.....yet somehow still drive home with half a front end. (Wait...did that one Falcon steal ALL the good karma for other Fords??)

• 5 months later...
 Treecrusher']

[quote name='JoKer said:

a foot of flame OR the entire rear section? ahhh good times... then off to shop for a COBY yea boi!

/quote]

Yip, Coby was the muffler to have. Back when a 2" exhaust was massive :D

The exhaust is probably my first memory of a subaru. I remember seeing an RS legacy in about'95 that had a 3" exhaust, that was the moment I decided I had to have one.

hey man, this may be irrelevant. I am after a rough labor fee to fit a coby in my leggy? any comments would be nice :). I also got told that this would give the standard sound change to a gruntier sound by a previous subby driver. cheers guys

Guest boostcut

i had a hot dog on my legacy and it made it sound like arse. they arnt a muffler. theyre a resonator. you need a high flow double pass muffler to sound decent