Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FLYWHEEL -oem>aftermarkit ???

im thinking of changeing the oem flywheel on my 03 spec c to are light weight aftermarkit flywheel

i dont have the tools , nor the knowledge to change it my self , so i was wondering does anyone know if its alot of effort for a machanic to do ?

im just wondering how much it would cost to get it changed for a machanic obviously depends on how many hours it takes , hence why im asking is it alot of effort ???

i dont have any problems with the oem flywheel , just thought id get an aftermarkit light weight one to save power lost and more relibility in the drivetrain since 41 AUTOMOTVE has JUN light weight flywheels on special

could someone help me out

cheers kevin

Ill fit it for a thousand million dollars.

Not a hard job, just excessively time consuming. Only requires 4 different sockets and a power bar.

6 speeds way a fuck load and take a bit of time to get out swap flywheel and swap over..

much easier if it was on hoist but im sure a mechanic would charge AT LEAST 8 hours labour to do it

id wait till something fucks out and has to come out before you do it.

Gearbox removal, bit of time involved, nothing too serious though. Depending on where you take it the charge could vary greatly. Good mod, after having a light flywheel in the race car id never go back.

Spec C said:

i dont have any problems with the oem flywheel , just thought id get an aftermarkit light weight one to save power lost and more relibility in the drivetrain since 41 AUTOMOTVE has JUN light weight flywheels on special

your power will stay exactly the same. visit your physics teacher and ask why.

also, if you fit a lightweight item, chances are your car will be harder to drive.

this is my msn => [email protected]

just ask next time u want to buy some random upgrade part and i'll happily talk you out of it :)

The power will be exactly the same as mentioned but the delivery will change. For me it is a change I will never reverse, the 4kg flywheel is awesome even when paired with a paddle clutch :D

Was wondering when someone would mention that it's gonna make the car arse to drive. I do believe it might be half the reason my Impreza is gutless yet such a pleasure to drive; it appears to have a lead disc attached to the engine -______-

Srsly... no more mods til you've learned to put that thing through its paces. I'm going in a freakin' HX20s!

Shale said:

Was wondering when someone would mention that it's gonna make the car arse to drive. I do believe it might be half the reason my Impreza is gutless yet such a pleasure to drive; it appears to have a lead disc attached to the engine -______-

Srsly... no more mods til you've learned to put that thing through its paces. I'm going in a freakin' HX20s!

some one did say it would be harder to drive. . .

-smurff

Spec C']

[quote name='CUDDAS said:

Hi Kevin is there a problem with your clutch? is your g/box in need of repair?, does your engine need removing for some new triple layered head gasket's or to do the rear main, If not dont waste your money until you do. Go get yourself a nice pair of overalls & a helmet :)

/quote]

wanting to race at manifeld in april with the other spec C's

what.. are the other wrx/sti's not good enough..?

I dont find the car any more difficult to drive with a light flywheel even when paired with an aggresive paddle clutch, its something you just change your driving style for. Part of the enjoyment is adapting to the car and driving it the way it perfoms best. Heavy flywheels are so that grandma does not stall as shes leaving the supermarket, its one of the most rewarding modifications I have done to be honest highly reccomend it to anyone who likes to drive their car.

boostcut said:

a lightweight flywheel is an ideal mod.. but once again, why fit it until you pop your clutch

Good advice, not worth doing it just for the flywheel if your paying for labour. On the other hand if its a wet weekend and your bored :D

Guest boostcut

yes but if he is bored and has no tools or knowledge??? hmmmm. id buy it off him when its in 30000000 pieces..

you have to pull the rear wheels off first to take the diff out to get the driveshaft out, then you have to take the gearbox apart to get the flux capacitor out to undo the front axles and then you pull the engine out to get to the flywheel.

boostcut said:

yes but if he is bored and has no tools or knowledge??? hmmmm. id buy it off him when its in 30000000 pieces..

you have to pull the rear wheels off first to take the diff out to get the driveshaft out, then you have to take the gearbox apart to get the flux capacitor out to undo the front axles and then you pull the engine out to get to the flywheel.

Why not just drop the driveshaft, pop the front halfshafts out and remove the box, or am I missing something with it being a 6 speed?

WRX8YA']

[quote name='boostcut said:

/quote]

Why not just drop the driveshaft, pop the front halfshafts out and remove the box, or am I missing something with it being a 6 speed?

think he was taking the piss :P

dont remember having a flux capacitor

-smurff

Talk to Jason at Midway Motorsport if you are serious about a light weight flywheel for a 6 speed.

I had him design one for my car and he has them available.

I also fitted a HUGE organic clutch and pressure plate and have never had a problem, its also really nice to drive compared to a paddle clutch.

I noticed that the car is really fast to hit the rev limiter compared to when it had a standard flywheel.