Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

HID light kits now avail for H4 fitting

spark_38

A few months ago I purchased a HID kit from trademe, H4 fitting (about 90% of cars use this) with low/high beam - prior to this one could not get a road legal HID fitting kit for this particular bulb fitment

The one I got was claimed to be 8000k, these Jaycar kits are identical but are 6000k, most would not notice any real difference, most normal halogen 55/60W bulbs are about 3750k for the white/blue bulbs so 6-8k is a significant difference in terms of 'whiteness' of the light

I have found these to be great and can highly recommend them. $160.90 is their trade price.

The seller on trademe claimed they would pass WOF, I will find out in May...

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=SL3417

productLarge_13862.jpg

productLarge2_13862.jpg

I believe its because the light reflector shape was designed for halogen bulbs. When you put a HID bulb in place - the light dispersal pattern isnt the same and so you run the risk of blinding oncoming traffic.

Bingo.

Plus Xenon bulbs produce a lot of UV light which degrades standard polycarbonate headlight housings.

EU regulations require cars with Xenon lights to have headlight washing and self-leveling systems, mainly to counter galre complaints from other road users. Xenons produce ~40% more glare than a halogen head light.

Won't be long before Xenons are old-hat as LED technology improves.

;D

I'v got these in my v6 (crystal head light) they do provide good lighting but they light up every thing in front of you, theres no real line if you know what i mean. I'm thinking of taking them out, i imagine they're blinding on coming traffic.

On the Ver 5/6 crystal headlights (what i'm using), they give a nice distinct low beam and high beam - does not blind oncoming traffic at all, almost same beam as stock filament bulbs except whiter and clearer at night

Prior to fitting these I used the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs which claimed to be 80% brighter than OEM bulbs, I believe the 80% is a little exaggerated, but 55/60W bulbs have their limitations, prior to the Philips I had Narva Arctic Blue ones - they gave a cool whiteish light but again not very bright

i had the 8K color, picking up some 10K color tonight, will be interested to see the difference, as the pictures on teh net can be different from seller to seller.

-smurff

spark_38 said:

On the Ver 5/6 crystal headlights (what i'm using), they give a nice distinct low beam and high beam - does not blind oncoming traffic at all, almost same beam as stock filament bulbs except whiter and clearer at night

Prior to fitting these I used the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs which claimed to be 80% brighter than OEM bulbs, I believe the 80% is a little exaggerated, but 55/60W bulbs have their limitations, prior to the Philips I had Narva Arctic Blue ones - they gave a cool whiteish light but again not very bright

Pity you're so far away; I've wanted to see what a good set of HIDs are like on the crystals. I've driven with a set I really didn't like, but I'm sure there are setups a little friendlier on my poor eyesight.

5k would be epic win. 4500k isn't a heck of a lot whiter than the 4300k halogen poop I have in at the moment; 'pure white' is meant to be 6000k, but IMO 5500k is more like it. But again, eyes = screwed.

In colourimetry, 6500K is "pure white", more akin to daylight on an overcast day than the artificial "whiter-than-white" you get from laundry wash powders (which actually use a lot of blue additive) etc.

HID light output is closer to daylight but there is no evidence that this is ideal for driving at night.

In fact a shift towards blue light is bad for driving in adverse conditions.

Some good links on HID conversions etc.

Thinking of converting to HID?

Disadvantages of HID

Shale']

[quote name='spark_38 said:

/quote]

Pity you're so far away; I've wanted to see what a good set of HIDs are like on the crystals. I've driven with a set I really didn't like, but I'm sure there are setups a little friendlier on my poor eyesight.

5k would be epic win. 4500k isn't a heck of a lot whiter than the 4300k halogen poop I have in at the moment; 'pure white' is meant to be 6000k, but IMO 5500k is more like it. But again, eyes = screwed.

spak38 did a tidy job installing it. just take out and replace it. takes about 30minutes.

i was worry that it was going to be glare for on comming cars or the car infront. it isnt. it is abit distracting but not enough to blind you.

im happy with my blue bolbs at the moment when it blew then i get some of those HID ones.

i my old headlight (same ones as Funkytown) with HID flew through VTNZ easy.

hehehehehehe I would HID my lights but for 2 reasons I probably wont

1/dont drive much at night

2/got lotsa added driving lights :)

IMG_5120.JPG

I also are running 100/90 in the main headlights which I am running an IPF upgraded wiring loom on

and 100w in the driving lights also running thru a relay

and my cruiser (which i do most of my night running in)

IMG_4067.JPG

Which are upgraded to the max

130/90 w in the main headlights/100 in the driving lights/100 in the foggies all running upgraded wiring/relays and running thru a flasher unit