Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Potentially a massive weapon against car thieves?

matt1710

Hi

Would appreciate some feedback about this as am unsure if it'd work given the way cars are stolen.

My company imports from Sweden, a device known as a sound barrier. It's Swedish military technology and is essentially a device that produces such a hideously unbearable sound that you cannot tolerate it for more than a few seconds. It's 125dB (about the same as a jet engine at 5m) but that's not the worst part of it - the actual sound spectrum it produces is. It's specifically designed to disrupt the human brain by virtue of a complex (and patented) sound spectrum that the brain simply can't deal with.

It does get installed in cars, but generally as protection for either the cargo (eg technician's vans, courier vans) or the driver (taxis). However, it could easily work against a thief - they simply couldn't stay in the car to do whatever they do. It has it's own battery which it draws current from when sounding so isolating the car's battery would do nothing.

So - my question is : would it have an application against the theft of sought after cars like Subarus? Or are they more often stolen by being towed?

Happy to supply more info to anyone who is interested. The website is : www.sonicsecurity.co.nz

Matt

PS - I'm unable to supply direct to end users - however can supply to car security installers etc.

the problem i see, even cars with battery backup sirens, and top of the line alarms still get stolen, seen a few cases were the alarm siren is sitting on the driveway in the morning and no one heard a thing.

can u supply to an electrician who does home alarms? this could help some of our users, as there are a few registered electricians around an i myself also do house alarms?

-smurff

It would certainly stop a fair portion of thefts. But I'm sure a majority of subaru thefts would be done by trailer as most have some kind of imoboliser. It would be interesting to see the statistics on that though.

I guess when they get it back to the hideout or whatever they'd have fun trying to diasble it though.

wrx_lou said:

It would certainly stop a fair portion of thefts. But I'm sure a majority of subaru thefts would be done by trailer as most have some kind of imoboliser. It would be interesting to see the statistics on that though.

I guess when they get it back to the hideout or whatever they'd have fun trying to diasble it though.

they just remove the car battery and wait lol or get the "apprentice' to do it

-smurff

wrx_lou']

[quote name='smurff said:

they just remove the car battery and wait lol or get the "apprentice' to do it

-smurff

/quote]

you mean the prospect ;)

ahhh is that what its called :)

-smurff

The Micro (protects 35sqm at 122db) is probably around the $1,100 mark (supplied and installed) and the Intenso (protects 70sqm at 127db - ie more than twice as loud) is probably around the $1,300 mark. Would all but guarantee that it couldn't be stolen by a person inside the car - but not so effective if towed away. Price would depend on the installer too.

Could well be - however if you could prevent it being whipped in the first place - it might be better than being able to trace it - and then finding it wrecked. Maybe GPS and a sound barrier is the solution if you've got plenty of cash and a very expensive car?!

Forgive me for trolling, but this isn't a new idea. Pioneer for years offered their top end head units with a "dfs" alarm. Basically a high frequency sound as loud as you stereo can go.

You can get "scremers" from jaycar as well. Same idea, internally mounted siren to deter f**k wits from stealing your car. Don't know if jaycars ones are 127db though, but they certianlly aren't $1,300 bucks either.

Guest boostcut

yeah, i wouldnt pay 1300 bucks for an alarm... of any kind. id rather pay extra in insurance as i havent ever had a car for longer than 3 or 4 months- excluding the current one

Interesting idea re the HUs. As far as I understand the technology, it's the nature of the spectrum which does the "damage". It's a similar spectrum used by the US military - they "shoot" it from a parabola dish and can aim it over a couple of hundred meters - I talked to a guy here who experienced it in Iraq and he said it was absolutely debilitating. Obviously more powerful than what I have - but the price is in the hundreds of thousands. The Japanese whalers use them against Sea Shepherd.

I very much doubt that the HUs or the Jaycar screamers do anything other than broadcast twin static tones loudly - which whilst a deterrent, probably won't force anyone to exit. However, as you say, they're not $1300 either!

Most of the applications for the sound barriers are in static commercial/industrial installations where they're protecting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock/property - so the $1,300 figure is a drop in the bucket. Just though it might have appeal to some vehicle nuts too.

boostcut said:

id probably just buy a chain, a big rotty, a .303 rifle and a scope for 1300 bucks.

funny you say that, many years ago when I had my first Subaru, a 91 gt legacy wagon, I caught some guys caseing my car port. I bought a dirty great chain and threded it through the front wheel around the front stut pad locked it to a steel post. That car never went missing though I'm sure it would have if not for the chain.

Treecrusher said:

You can get "scremers" from jaycar as well. Same idea, internally mounted siren to deter f**k wits from stealing your car. Don't know if jaycars ones are 127db though, but they certianlly aren't $1,300 bucks either.

i tried the big one at work the other day, and regretted it.. headache for the rest of the day :-\

i'm just curious though, even before you start playing with brain liquefying frequencies.. a false alarm is going to be a problem