Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Potentially a massive weapon against car thieves?

matt1710

I guess it would have to work off a different sensor - ultrasonic or somesuch, going off only when the cabin is breeched. Rather than falsing on the shock or glass sensors and making your neighbours barf all the time.

If you had a $60,000 show car or modified marvel, $1300 + the same for well-installed tracking isn't really that hideous. Your turbo would have cost more :)

For the rest of us, it's those magic four words.

"If I win Lotto..."

What's the guarantee that it wont shatter the glass in the car?

You know... Confined Space... Large amount of sonic waves...?

I know it's probably minimal, but it's still possible.

Would suck, thief tries to break into car... Sonic Boom goes off, shatters glass, thief steals all the gear inside your car.

Hooray!

It doesn't do permanent damage - the worst one can expect (from the kind of short duration exposure that one can tolerate) is slight ringing in the ears - however that's known as TTS (Temporary Threshold Shift) which goes away after a few hours. It's been tested against the ISO standard for Noise Induced Hearing Impairment and was subsequently classified as harmless. It falls just below all the legal requirements for maximum sound pressure too.

If someone is game to sit in the car with it, I'm happy to press the button. I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't last more than 5 seconds.

Oscar said:

What's the range of it, and is the sound directional?

Does anyone else see where I'm going with this?

you want to point it at people as you drive?

-smurff

smurff']

[quote name='Oscar said:

What's the range of it, and is the sound directional?

Does anyone else see where I'm going with this?

/quote]

you want to point it at people as you drive?

-smurff

Hey I never thought of that.

Perfect crowd control device!

Sound is directional - it's designed to protect an area - anything from 35sqm up to 70sqm with the smaller ones. There's a monster that can do 800sqm too - good for warehouses. It gets kind of lost when used in open spaces - unless you're close to it - ie within 10m. Abroad they're used as crowd control devices, mounted both on vehicles and police shields.

It will only go off if commanded to do so - by an alarm control unit or sensor. You could run it off the siren output for the existing car alarm - however it'd be best to run it off a more stable, independent sensor - or even two - so that it requires two triggers to set it off. An automotive security installer would probably have some good ideas. You certainly don't want it going off when you're in there!!!

Guest Oscar
 matt1710 said:

Sound is directional - it's designed to protect an area - anything from 35sqm up to 70sqm with the smaller ones. There's a monster that can do 800sqm too - good for warehouses. It gets kind of lost when used in open spaces - unless you're close to it - ie within 10m. Abroad they're used as crowd control devices, mounted both on vehicles and police shields.

Perfect.

• 6 months later...

my parents had this in their house, total gay balls, if you stuff the alarm code it would go off, and it is imposable to type the code correctly after the alarm sounds. its mind numbing for sure

• 3 weeks later...

I have a query on this thing. As thieves do, theyll first disable your alarm siren under the bonnet (woe to people who mount the siren and/or wiring in plain sight in the engine bay). They will have done this after munting your bonnet vents to get at the bonnet sensor/battery/siren. So, as of yet the alarm hasnt been triggered. Once the siren is disabled they are free to set the alarm off (wont be heard) while they make entry to the car to rip the ignition and rewire the immobiliser. So my point is..

When they eventually DO trigger this loud dB thing, the doors will most probably be shut. So how loud is it to the outside of the vehicle?? And also, how long does the battery last, as theyd probably just leave and come back once its dead??

Cheers

I'm not up with speed as to exactly how car thieves do their stuff - sounds as though they're pretty crafty though. Essentially, the sound barrier's sole purpose when installed in a vehicle, is to make the interior an unbearable place to be. If located, it could be neutralized - one advantage it has though is that there are 8 transducers - so they could be spread far and wide in the car - and even some under the bonnet. This would make it more difficult to defeat. That said, given enough time/will/knowledge, just about anything can be defeated. It's not the silver bullet - just another layer and one that prevents the thief sitting in the car, undisturbed, while he rips apart the interior searching for _____.