• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STi strut brace - mine won't fit!

Shale

Righty, so I have me one of these:

dsc00001nn.jpg

Buuuuut... it has THESE on it!

dsc00002ut.jpg

The bolts on my tophats aren't long enough to accomodate the brace with the feet on it; the nuts only go half-way down, then try to tear the thread off.

So.

1) Do all GC8 STi strut braces have these wee feet?

2) If no... does anyone wanna swap stock for stock for a sans-feet model? $20 your way for your troubles.

3) If they're all like that...are the feet removable?

Cheers guys :)

If you do grind them off, do what the Whiteline people say to do... put some thin stainless washers under the brace instead. They'll be about a third as thick as those feet.

You can buy stainless washers of the right size from placemakers for sfa :)

My v6 brace has them too, in fact I haven't seen a stock brace without them.

Best fix is to get proper length bolts.

Those feet actually help secure the brace because the top of the strut tower is not flat so the flat ends of the brace won't fit securely without those feet; basic geometry, three points define a plane, the plane being the flat end of the brace.

DRFVDR said:

:) just use a large drill on the flat side to lessen the amount of metal holding them in then tap them out with a hammer and punch them out :) easy as Pie :)

That and the washers idea sounds most viable :) <3

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed it was pretty soft when someone shoved a screwdriver under it and it flexed. :-X

Might see about popping 'em out, though not sure whether there's enough surface for the nuts to sit on once removed.

Might as well switch with Big Dave if his fit properly, given the cars and braces are versions 4 and 6 - but around the wrong way currently ;D

Speaking of which, how would you rate the generic stuff. There are plenty of metal braces at Strong, but nothing of recognisable brands. My final option of course is to get something gruntier, and put the STi brace on the Legacy ;D

Tis what I thought - was holding out for some Cusco goodness, but missed out on the Genome one Hopai scored (that's where I got my current STi one).

As far as I care, STi carbon is better than nothing and will give Dave's a shot before Megameet :) After that, might be time for an aftermarket one of decent quality :)

kamineko said:

its quite surprising how flexible the carbon sti brace is as a whole

i much perfer a solid metal brace. turn in is much more direct

The STi carbon brace is largely for bling.

;D

Seriously, the brace needs a degree of compliance hence it's not 100% rigid.

I would have tht the strut brace Sti or otherways only needs to be strong in one direction only to keep the strut towers from moving relative to each other in the horizontal plane.

The effectiveness of a strut brace is strongly connected to the stiffness of your suspension. So for a car that is fairly standard, the strut brace probably doesn't do a great deal, but as they get modified and stiffened the brace will contribute more