Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gear Ratio Calculator/Grapher

Guest lan_killa

Guest lan_killa

Ive built up this excel spreadsheet to as accurately as possible Calculate and Graph Speed Vs. RPM for your vehicle.

Very simple to use, download it here: RATIOCALCGRAPH.xls

Enter in your gear ratios, final drive ratio, tyre size and RPM limit and it will produce a graph showing RPM Vs. Speed in each gear. The spreadsheet is only setup to map out to a maximum of 10,000RPM. This can be used on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 speed transmissions, simply enter 0 for your ratio on gears that you dont have.

If you want to see more detailed data, click on the DATA sheet at the bottom of the page.

To find out what your ratios are find your gearbox code on this site: http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/trans.html

I hope some of you find a use for this

Guest lan_killa

thats quite possible...

The values that are in the sheet when you first open it are my car, which has a top speed of circa 240kph... In the past I have seen the speedo hit 180kph in 4th at 6500rpm ish, and this graph says exactally that

But quickly heres the math behind it

RPM: 7500

6th Gear: 0.842

Diff: 3.900

Tyre Diameter: 24.77inchs

0.842 * 3.900 Diff = 3.2838

6th Gear multiplied by the Diff ratio gives us a final ratio of 3.2828:1

7500/3.2838 = 2283.94

Every 7500 revolutions the crank does = 2283.94 revolutions of the axle

so 2289.94 = Axle/wheel RPM

24.77 * 3.14159 = 77.8171843

Tyre Diameter multiplied by PI to give us a circumfrence of 77.8171843 inchs

77.8171843 * 2289.94 = 177729.73

Distance covered per wheel multiplied by wheel rpm = 177729.73 inchs per minute

177729.73 * 0.000 015 782 828 283 = 2.80507780937395359

This is converting from inchs to miles so we get 2.80507780937395359 Miles per Minute

2.80507780937395359 * 60 = 168.30

This is converting from minutes to hours so we get 168.30 miles per hour

168.30 * 1.609344 = 270.8525952

This is converting from MPH to KPH and get get 270.8525952KPH

Looks right to me

One thing to take into account is tyre size, this can change things HEAPS. Also as your tyres wear they get smaller so your top speed becomes less

so me thinks - 270 sounds crazy fast, and almost impossible to test anywhere.

Lots of people do track / rally / drags etc,

How and where is one able to do legitimate top speed testing?

* if anyone says the salt flat "I SLAP YOU >:("

Im being serious in asking, i've manged +240km once but that was in another vehicle on a less than ideal (but legal) location. Im interested to try for more

funkytown said:

so me thinks - 270 sounds crazy fast, and almost impossible to test anywhere.

Purely theoretical v max., with no regard for physical environment or factors like aerodynamics.

To regard as gospel is a bit like thinking your car really will do the big numbers on your (non-JDM) speedo.

;D

• General Member
 Koom']

[quote name='lan_killa said:

meh... piss off :P blame the japs for still using imperial wheels

/quote]

haha. Rollin on 558.8's doesn't have the same gangsta sound to it.

haha similar to 12" is still more impressive to wommin than "its 300 millimeters baby" (or for most of you's 200mm)

Guest lan_killa

dont think the closed road lets see how fast you can go thing happens too often, and to quailfy to enter would be fairly strict I imagine, They use that day/road for setting the NZ Land Speed records...

About the only options are SALT FLATS (OMG I SAID IT!!!!) or the autobhan

Koom']

[quote name='funkytown said:

right - ignore 270, and put xxx in, where can one test

/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehra-Lessien

Or failing that apply for road closure of Tram road in Canterbury. Or go to the Australian Outback (they have a salt flat too :P )

You need a really long straight anyway and NZ's racetracks don't have huge straights (Puke would be best?)

Good link!

The HSV Club used to close off a road near Carterton in the Wairarapa and do 1km flying sprints. Im pretty certain it wouldnt be that hard to do so again. However you would need to get it done by an actual motorsport club to have any chance of setting it up. Could perhaps talk to Wairarapa Car Club as its their area.

Alternatively, Ohakea used to run days for Armed Forces personnel. But pretty sure you cant get in if your not in one of the Services.

Your car should see some interesting speeds at MM however on the front track. However use GPS, not the speedo to guage actual speed.

Munkvy said:

The HSV Club used to close off a road near Carterton in the Wairarapa and do 1km flying sprints. Im pretty certain it wouldnt be that hard to do so again. However you would need to get it done by an actual motorsport club to have any chance of setting it up. Could perhaps talk to Wairarapa Car Club as its their area.

Alternatively, Ohakea used to run days for Armed Forces personnel. But pretty sure you cant get in if your not in one of the Services.

Your car should see some interesting speeds at MM however on the front track. However use GPS, not the speedo to guage actual speed.

it "should do yer" but not that much more than about 220 i would pick.. last outing i was already well out past the 180 "indicator"..

thanks for the useful info too :)

Guest keltik

237kph in mine is just touching the stop by zero.

Goudies road is ok.....but SH38 past Kaingaroa forest is better :D

Am about to stick some numbers in this spreadsheet to see how my frankenbox will drive. I want a 4.111 diff in a V2 WRX box.

• General Member

heh - what was wrong with the top sped calc on the catherine site? apart from being in mph...

same result 269.54

TY752VBCAA (BG5C GTB)

would be cool if you could just copy paste gearbox code rather than all the values :P