Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Busted Turbo :(

Swindog

DSCN2143.jpg

Broken fin and bent bottoms of the remaining fins. Unsure what went through it but i think its still in the casing of the turbo or at least the broken fin is. The bearing is wasted and spins noisly.

This happened at the top of second gear around 7k rpm at 20psi. After a monster launch and good 60ft time it made a mass whistle noise and a ping. This is obviously when the fin snapped. So clutched it and made it back to pits to diagnose it. Drove home slowly, which luckily was round the corner. Bits are hopefully in the intercooler or still in the turbo. Unsure weather you can rebuild these?

Ive had loss of power probs and poor dyno readings and i had figured the turbo for awhile.

The turbo is 3 years old with approx 40,000km on it. Bad day at the office :'(

The blue bullet shell rise again!

This was at Otepuni Street Sprints btw.

See WTB for details on me buying a VF22

Swindog said:

Thought they were good for 25psi?

What else can people recommend that will fit directly on close to the VF22? Other a VF series?

see my pm.. i might look for a hybrid idea - P20 housing and vf34-38 compressor wheel for something different.

some if the Garret's may bolt on (but dont quote me), either way your looking at lots of $$.

you have a p20 housing already, shared on the 22/23

Update -

Thrust bearing failure resulting in the main compressor wheel moving and rubbed on the compressor housing causing the fin to snap. Looks like its been getting worse and worse.

AND they do do a rebuild for the VF22

as per our PMs, mine will be coming out next week and off to be checked hopefully to avoid what happened to Swindog , getting alot of noise and very low power on my 23.

Have you decided on a straight rebuild or a hybrid? or those other units you showed me?

Turb side of intercooler

DSCN2162.jpg

Busted fin

DSCN2163.jpg

Still waiting on the APS turbo prices. Can get the turb pulled apart and checked for $70 to see what needs replaced. $2500 for a brand new VF22 plus mayaswell do the uppipe while im there. Dunno if i want another VF22...not really designed for on off power as in track racing.

BC5RA said:

AFAIK you can rebuild a VF series turbo but it is dependent on what the damage is or how it failed.

Turb was 3 years old. Motor has 40k on it. One would suspect either when it had a faulty boost tap and spun out too much or when it overheated when a side tank cracked on the radiator a year ago. Same as Funkytown, weird noises and low power started after those things.

See my above posts to why failed. Im thinking brand new though. No point stuffing round with rebuild or second hand. On ward and up ward. Chin chin.

something could have gone through it, broken the fin, then the out of balance wheel could have premiturily worn the bearing til it hit the housing??? those pieces could have been broken of in the cooler for a while hence the loss of power for a while. power loss due to out of balance turbo not spinning so fast due to bearing picking up and one less fin to move air.

something still gotta get into ya intake to break the fin to start with though.

also whats ya oil pressure like??? poor oil supply/quality and beleive it or not to much oil flow can cause bearing failures in turbos to.

my 2 cents worth.

ooooo also depending on what heads you are running, some of them have a fine steel gauze like filter in the oil supply line to the turbo, this could be blocked. especially if the engine has been rebuilt and not cleaned out properly apon assebly from machineing.

I thought it might be the filter too but it seems intact.

If something was in the intake and gone thru would it be safe to assume it would be in the fronty aswell?

Ill have a look when i replace everything like oil lines etc.

HOW do i remove the existing stock intake that pass under the manifold? Do i have to hack it up?

What brand should i be looking at to replace it?

just lift your manifold off, 4 bolts on each side. Given you have a front mount you dont have to remove your Topmount. The manifold will have a few things attached to it, but its not hard to put it back together.

I have a samco type intake that bolts right up to the turbo - these are quite $$$ however. You can get a new stock one through armstrongs aswell at under a $100.

if you get a twisted setup which adds momre $$$ then you can get away from routing the pipe under the manifold all together..

so many possibilities. I feel your pain. Getting my diagnosed on Friday

the wee filter gauze in the head leith???

stuff can pass through intercoolers, if thery small enough and get in the right spot, has happened before. check ya pipes after the cooler for signs of anything going through them , may see scuffmarks on the inside etc.

yep will do. Have it in pieces any way. Whole fronts been stripped lol.

Time for a couple new parts me thinks. Reese has told me he has a turbo for me, a steve murch special and im gonna get a new uppipe and silicon intake as the factory one is rooted.

Anyone know how to get the new one in without cracking the manifold open?

Swindog said:

Anyone know how to get the new one in without cracking the manifold open?

no you have to lift it - it has some pipes that need connecting under it and some other funky pipe work you wont clear with out damanging the new pipe..

ITs real easy to get off, and the new gaskets are cheap as chips and very easy to place. Take 30mins max i guess - its not worth breaking the new pipe.

man why you got it out - do a split rail at the same time - easy peazy.

I could do a lot of things easy peasy while i got half the motor out but no. Lol coin is the issue.

Plus i have a wedding to pay for!

I am goin with a samco or perrin turbo inlet after i hack the stocker to pieces to get it out. These silicon ones slide in ok apparantly.

I am goin with the M&H uppipe that moves the external to beside the turbo and this will resolve the header cracking issue i had/have.

I will prob go with that Steve Murch spec Rockr as i just spoke to the guys at Chequred Flag and they just did exactly the same one on a V6 which had a larger top mount and 3" exhaust with a G3 and had it mildly running at 236kw atw on 18psi.

Funkytown, for $1500 you can get one he said. They just bought a stuffed td05 off trademe for $200 and gave it to Steve Murch and he worked it up.

Cheap as. Those APS SR40's are $3600.

OR you can get a direct fit GT3540 from the states direct bolt on for $3800.

interesting - i will see how we go on friday, depends whats wrong.

also 18psi is alot, nothing mild about that lol, and my block is still standard, not forged or closed etc like yours.

I would like to know more about what that worked turbo is before i chose it, that and to see the graphs etc.

Maybe they cud work my 23?. Does anyone have details for Steve Murch himself, id rather go direct if possible.