• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aquariums

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QRAF said:

now they just have to be fertilized and then not get eaten by any of the other fish we had our angel fish lay heaps of eggs but nothing survived :-\

the other angel has already done his run over, think its a male anyway hahaha, has different organ than the one that laid the eggs.

as for being eatin, yea, its a slightly busy tank, they may not last the night, see how overloaded the mum and dad get, at teh moment they are doing a good job protecting them.

i am worried as they have been layed on the filter inlet tube, so if they fall off they get sucked straight in to the filter.

shall wait and see what happens

-smurff

If you are getting algae something is unbalanced in your tank, so adding "X" nutrients can make is go away(and helps to keep water stable). I've been looking into PMDD for nutrients supply an hopefully test a batch soon. fnzas has heaps of info on this stuff

we have always had algae problems, or 60L tank did, now our 180L tank does, im buying a UV filter to deal with it.

our sucker fish dont do stuff all when it comes to eating algae, he did when he was little, now days he cant be bothered.

the clown loaches we have seem to do a good job, but they dont get the spots on the glass, but when the spots sprout, there all over them.

my 20L tank had a rather big algae problem, moved one of the clowns in, over night he destroyed the stuff, tank was sparkling the next day and he was an aweful happy fella lol

Clown loach

6079577012_dfe2ed3bb5.jpg

clownL by smurff900, on Flickr

Simon the Siamese fighter

6079039131_3772ea5a33.jpg

simon by smurff900, on Flickr

one of 4, new guys to the tank

6079040091_9cfa2deb43.jpg

SilverA by smurff900, on Flickr

-smurff

ahh, all the eggs are gone, sucker fish got in there and had some dinna, mum and dad decided to eat the rest.

going to make a tank divider, incase it happens again the the future.

any of you guys tryed having a blue light? we have a white fluro light, im thinking of retrofitting a duel tube holder and larger ballast (maybe an e-ballast) into the light housing i have already

-smurff

I have a 2ft tropical aquarium :)

Has 1 angel fish, 2 pearl gourami's, 1 blue gourami, 1 moonlight gourami, a mix of tetras & barbs and an albino pleco (sucker fish like above).

Used to have a 4ft tank and a tall hex tank. My old's had a 7ft tank that had a giant gourami, 3 silver dollars a flower horn, an Oscar and a massive plecostomus. The flower horn was a mean machine....HAD TEETH lol!!

used to have some pretty epic fishtanks while i was growing up, lots of cool tropical tanks, some axolotls, had a massive turtle tank in my bedroom at one stage, with about 4 turtles the size of dinner plates, the tank sat on a table as big as a decent sized dinner table at coffee table height - was pretty churr, 90% of the tanks were built at home too

might get a tropical tank again one day maybe

QARF, does the blue fluro have any effect on the fish's temperment, or does it just bring out there colour more?

i bought a UV filter this weekend, a wave generator thing just a little one, to get some water movement in my tank.

i re-did the plumbing for my external filter, spray bar is on one end of the tank, not across the whole back and intake is straight, not at a 90 degree, its working alot better now.

and got some new plants :D some christmas moss on a bit of drift wood and some plant, no idea what its called, but the guy said its super easy to grow.

so once the other plants i ordered show up i will have the tank well planted, i have been told this helps with algea.

now to wait for my crushed oyster shells to show up to help stablize my PH :D

i love fish :D

-smurff

• 3 weeks later...

One of my mates at work had an outside pond with 4 turtles in it. All about the size of a small plate.

He said they were real easy to look after. only had to feed them during the warmer months as they would sleep in the bushes all winter. Just had to clean the pond out ever could of weeks.

yeah turtles are good fun. some of the big ones i had as a kid were laying eggs but in the water rather than there sandbox lol turned the tank water all white and murky ... but cool pets nonetheless, ended up selling them to a pet store after a fair few years

we had a baby one in a tropical tank too that was pretty choice tiny thing

• 2 weeks later...

turtles are farken filthy things lol.

need a lot of cleaning!

They just started swimming about in willowbank reserve( i take my wee guy there a lot) the other week. Have been sleeping somewhere all winter obviously.

Just bought a new tank yesterday to finally replace my EQ damaged one after it was painfully obvious EQC were gonna take ages to payout.

What happens they ring me next day lol

Getting nitrate cycle going now in the water and should be ready for more fish in a week or so.