Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Just a quick Q

subaru-mania

Ok well I have a 89 gt legacy has the standard gray injectors atm, But looking at some 97 sti yellows, Will these fit in sweet as and work as per normal , Eg take my rails out pull grays out, But yellows in with new o-rings then away I go? Cheers in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea you will either need a chip or a link....the chip is cheaper ;)

you'll also need to look at the AFM if a link is not a option.....but i rekn a bigger turbo's prob needed 1st...then a walbro is prob gonna be a good idea too...

the list goes on...

the gt loom only matches the v1/2 wrx so probably be more fiddling required if u use another ecu.

i thought chipping it to run yeoows was cheaper like 260 or so?

someone here may have done a chip perhaps.

wait on wait on..

the sti yellows will fit into your rails ok as per your question. No 4 plug ecu factory we set to run yellows however. Thus the chip or link or similar ECU is probably the required option. AFAIK on a chiped ecu for early RS's you dont need to alter the AFM but is a smart idea to swap to a td05 with bent inlet. (like the td04 it likely has).

What you can also do as a different approach is put in a V2 STI or STI RA ecu.. that way its only the ecu swap (leave the afm and greys alone), and put in the td05.. wud make lots of difference.

Lastly as a side note.... i do know a v2 wrx running yellows on a stock wrx ecu and it does so with out drama. (no dyno sheets to show whats happening however). It still runs a td04. Note that its likely this does nothing to its power output in current form.

i reckon the yellows are pointless in cars that are not looking at large power..

mines running around 150-160kw(new ecu haven't checked what its running now was 148) with grays and its doing fine.. no lack of fuel or anything, TD05H turbo.. v2 wrx.

I say get a 6k or 7k ecu and td05 turbo

kingersman said:

i reckon the yellows are pointless in cars that are not looking at large power..

mines running around 150-160kw(new ecu haven't checked what its running now was 148) with grays and its doing fine.. no lack of fuel or anything, TD05H turbo.. v2 wrx.

I say get a 6k or 7k ecu and td05 turbo

and leave the greys in on that combo yer.. (and green afm).

your correct the greys are happy as up to about 200kw. = fine for a tdo5 and stock boost

kingersman said:

when WRXER had it, it was making 148kw on grays, green afm, v2 wrx ecu(Z4) TD05 and 12 or 13psi

and thats more than enough for a start

only problem i see there is the fuel maps wont be right for the td05 as the td04 behaves a bit differently, where as the 6/7k will be.

id assume the Z4 to be rich down low as the td05 has a higher boost threshold, and will be lean up top as it flows more air and higher boost level (your 12/13 psi noted) than a td04.

yeah the Z4 had also been fiddled with so was rich in low/mid. Was getting about 200-300km to a tank.

Any way back to topic.

There no reason to upgrade to yellows unless you are aiming at what i would call BIG power. As funkytown said grays would be good up to around the 200kw mark and pretty sure you would need a stronger engine to be able to handle that for while

funkytown']

[quote name='kingersman said:

when WRXER had it, it was making 148kw on grays, green afm, v2 wrx ecu(Z4) TD05 and 12 or 13psi

and thats more than enough for a start

/quote]

only problem i see there is the fuel maps wont be right for the td05 as the td04 behaves a bit differently, where as the 6/7k will be.

id assume the Z4 to be rich down low as the td05 has a higher boost threshold, and will be lean up top as it flows more air and higher boost level (your 12/13 psi noted) than a td04.

Depends more on VE of the system. The TD05 will flow more air for a given amount of boost up top due to bigger turbine housing increasing the VE up there (also dependant on exhaust efficiency too). Down low may not be that different as the ECU fueling is dependant on the AFM reading vs RPM. If the bigger turbo isn't creating boost yet (at an RPM point where the smaller turbo would have been making boost pressure) then the ECU will just be operating in a lower load cell.

Its the top end where the ECU is trying to give over ~90% to the injectors where you run into issues with leaning out IMO.

kingersman said:

yeah the Z4 had also been fiddled with so was rich in low/mid. Was getting about 200-300km to a tank.

Any way back to topic.

There no reason to upgrade to yellows unless you are aiming at what i would call BIG power. As funkytown said grays would be good up to around the 200kw mark and pretty sure you would need a stronger engine to be able to handle that for while

I wouldn't go chasing 200kw with greys......maybe 200kw at the crank but not at the wheels.

Koom']

[quote name='kingersman said:

Any way back to topic.

/quote]

I wouldn't go chasing 200kw with greys......maybe 200kw at the crank but not at the wheels.

yeah of course! just because some say you can doesn't mean you should lol

This Is all very interesting... Cheers for all the reply's, what advantages would I have if I was to run a V1/V2 Sti Ecu, and it would be a straight plug in yeah? just need the necessary Afm? Im currently running green Afm. At the moment , Tdo5 , leave grays, upgrade Ecu, and do a split fuel rail set up while im at it, ? Seems like a good way to go.

But with the V2 sti, they come out with stock yellow tops? and therefor the v2 sti Ecu could run them? Like you said if it did work I wouldn't notice any difference, By changing my grays out, Im more so thinking about using yellows 4 more of a peace of mind , If i decide to go more power later on. ?