• Raised $0.00

Anyone know the top speed of a v5 sti gearbox

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CR4SHR said:

with uprated clutch

wtf does an uprated clutch have to do with top speed?

And what gb code (thus to get the gb ratios) are we talking?

and use the search - youl find isaac's gb speed calculator..

and what size tyres are you using.

use ya melon before asking - you should know better

Guest keltik

Depends one whether or not youve got a wastie/adjusties or a skank whistle. VTEC stickers will add about 10kph.

Guest keltik

Yes. Rev limiter in 5th gear is the limit. So 215kph in my wagon

6500rpm limit

1996 WRX box 5 speed

Stock 4.111 diffs

With the auto box - the car would do 235kph (and still slowly accelerating) at just under 6,000rpm

CR4SHR said:

what im asking is there a point (speed) where the gearbox is the limiting factor of the car not going any quicker

Depends entirely on what your gearbox is. Need the code to get a better idea. Could be a 215kph box or could be a 250kph one. Depends on rev limit too. Power is most likely going to be your limiting factor.

Guest boostin
 keltik said:

Yes. Rev limiter in 5th gear is the limit. So 215kph in my wagon

No. Gearboxes don't care how fast they're spinning. Just fit an engine that revs higher.

CR4SHR']

thanks all i wanted to know someone commented to me (they own a v5 sti ) that they went 250 and thought it would have gone faster if they didnt run out of road

they probably had this

[quote name='keltik said:

Depends one whether or not youve got a wastie/adjusties or a skank whistle. VTEC stickers will add about 10kph.

Guest boostin
 CR4SHR said:

thanks all i wanted to know someone commented to me (they own a v5 sti ) that they went 250 and thought it would have gone faster if they didnt run out of road

Was his name Lance/Hopai??

boostin']

[quote name='CR4SHR said:

/quote]

HA HA HA HA HA best joke I have heard today!!

Sorry been out in the shed sniffing petrol fumes 8)

Guest keltik

200bhp will get you to 250kph in a turbo brick (volvo). Seems perfectly reasonable to me that a STI would get there with the right gearing.

boostin']

[quote name='CR4SHR said:

/quote]

tee hee

ONeill']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

Nah his old one ran out of HP at 326km/h (gps tracked speed) but no officially recognised.

My V3 sti runs out of puff at 252/3 km/h

Yeah cause he'd stolen this car while it was in the country ::)

jun_gc_01.jpg

Koom']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

Nah his old one ran out of HP at 326km/h (gps tracked speed) but no officially recognised.

My V3 sti runs out of puff at 252/3 km/h

Yeah cause he'd stolen this car while it was in the country ::)

i dont know about you.. but i lol'd

i have a 240kmh gearbox at 7000rpm assuming standard rolling diameter tyres. at 170kw it would get there but be running out of puff. 200kw would get there with not too much effort. 240kw and it's still climbing fast. i don't know when the aerodynamic wall would hit, but power wise i'd guess 280 would be achievable with longer gears or pushing to rev cut which i'm not keen on.

this is useful

http://www.boosttown.com/gearbox_differential/speed_calculator.php

in conjunction with this thread

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,11920.0.html

incidentally you can also take your car to half redline and see how fast you're going. double that speed and that's how fast you will be going at redline and therefore the max achievable speed of your car (assuming you don't push it to rev cut, and power or aerodynamics isn't what limits you)

sultan said:

incidentally you can also take your car to half redline and see how fast you're going. double that speed and that's how fast you will be going at redline and therefore the max achievable speed of your car (assuming you don't push it to rev cut, and power or aerodynamics isn't what limits you)

explain this some more - interested as to the mech logic behind it.

funkytown']

[quote name='sultan said:

/quote]

At 3k rpm you are doing 100kph (for example).

Double rpm to 6k and you are doing 200kph.

Not hard to see the maths there.

If you don't have enough power to overcome the aerodynamic drag, you won't reach redline in top gear.

Guest keltik

3200rpm for 105kph. Yeah the math checks out nicely.

But seriously, if a volvo turbo can hit 250kph with a factory claimed power level of 210bhp....and the actual car in question was 10 years old and had 250,000km on it. Then surely an STI can top that.

Koom']

[quote name='sultan said:

/quote]

At 3k rpm you are doing 100kph (for example).

Double rpm to 6k and you are doing 200kph.

Not hard to see the maths there.

If you don't have enough power to overcome the aerodynamic drag, you won't reach redline in top gear.

no no you've missed the point. does it work in any gear? or is 5th "special".. i assume the gearing ratios work out nicely or something?