Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

MSNZ JUST GAVE ME A HARD ON....

I know im not fast off the mark on this, but i just found out this morning and im all barred up now!!

National Hill Climb Contest Relaunched - Original Link

A national hill climb series is being introduced to the MotorSport New Zealand motor racing calendar this year.

MotorSport president Shayne Harris said it is anticipated the first round will be run early in the spring and will be open to all classes of cars.

“The event will carry series status in its first year and it is our intention to upgrade it to a full championship event carrying gold star status once the competition becomes established.

“The format will involve two qualifying weekends in each island, with one day on tarmac and one on gravel with the final to be held by the end of April 2011 in the South Island. The final will alternate between the islands in the following years,” he said. “Cars will compete on both tarmac and gravel surfaces.

“Hill climbs were hugely popular with the public and we believe they will prove so again. In the early years of hill climbing most events were held on tarmac, and the list of winning cars includes single seater Ferrari, Cooper BSA, Begg Ford and March 77B. The growth of rallying and four wheel drive cars has seen the winners list switch to saloon cars

“Hill climbing is one of the oldest disciplines on the New Zealand racing scene with the first national champion being found in 1957. It continued as a stand alone competition until 1994 when it was combined with motokhana and autocross as part of a ClubSport Championship.

“We now plan to re-establish it as a stand alone championship,” he said.

Former gold star champion Andrew Hawkeswood, who recently contested the Pike Peaks Hill Climb in the US, said reintroduction of the event is great news.

“I did Pikes Peak because there are no worthwhile hill climb events in New Zealand. I’ll certainly be interested in having a look at it,” he said.

Five times winner, Marty Roestenburg is also thrilled at the prospect.

“Conditions allowing I’d definitely have another go. It would be a great event and allows cars from grassroots to fancy machines to compete. It would be more economical than a full on rally.”

The friend that told me about it, has just been talking to Shane Harris and was told that off the record, one of the places they are trying very hard to secure as a location, is the turoa ski field road. Race to the sky tarmac Edition? IM SO KEEN!!!!

al said:

The only down side is that it will almost certainly be for caged vehicles so more events vanish from clubsports arena.

Great for crazy mad speedlovers with caged cars though, Clint!

I do agree it is kind of crap that it will be removing from the clubsport championships. But on another note, to win the hillclimb championship, would you want to be in a car that doesnt have a cage?

I still think it will be good as it will give it more publicity and get more people keen and involved in it.

On a personal note tho, i so know what i want to do now!!! :)

Please note, to do most hillclimbs/bent sprints for most clubs you need a cage. Gone is the day when the fastest car you could buy for 5 grand was a 1300 carb'd mini or austin. You can get quite quick honda civics/integras, subaru wrx's etc for that money, which means that 120km/h becomes the new 70km/h when you run out of talent and leave the road.... :-X :'(

Oh Oh!!!!!!!

This could be a bit of me!

And for some events a cage would be a NEED TO HAVE!!!

I don't know about you guys but 180kph on gravel in a non caged car would be a HELL NO!!!!

For example Whariti hillclimb Regs require a co-driver which automatically excludes non caged cars. But the Saddle road hillclimb does not.

Hillclimbs are Huge in Europe..

This sort of thing would be great in NZ

Check out the Berg Cup..

These are why cages are needed!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdsH34jAjTA&feature=related

For those that are keen, we (Motorsport Manawatu) are holding a "King of the Mountains" 3 day hillclimb event on Labour Weekend this year. 3 hillclimbs in 3 days around the Manawatu region! Should be a bit of fun - and as far as I know, cages are not mandatory for this event (well they weren't last year).

Will post up more info once the other details are finalised.

Tony said:

For those that are keen, we (Motorsport Manawatu) are holding a "King of the Mountains" 3 day hillclimb event on Labour Weekend this year. 3 hillclimbs in 3 days around the Manawatu region! Should be a bit of fun - and as far as I know, cages are not mandatory for this event (well they weren't last year).

Will post up more info once the other details are finalised.

I'm not sure about two of them But i am totally going the Saddle Road!!!

I have some unfinished business with that road!!!!

And no fire at the finish would help that!

Guest boostcut

half of the open wheeler crashes looked like a major loss of traction was the issue. cold slicks+too hot on the gas=fail

• 4 months later...
 DRFVDR said:

I am on the organising commitee for this :)

it will be awesome

:)

dont crash or u may have me rescuing you,and we all know u dont want that :)

Whats the reason for it being so expensive to enter? Is it quite pricey to close that particular road, and get permits etc?