Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

tdo5 = ohh hell yea

rex-leggy

i blew my vf8 up a couple of weeks ago i think it was because the water couldnt be returned (overheated)

anyway how glad was i that it broke . i have a tdo5h now in my 96 gt legacy wag . wat a difference !! its great i recomend everone with a legacy to do it.

only problem is that the water feed and water return are a different size to the smaller versions of turbos used on the legacys.

lucky for me tho i went to the local subaru workshop got the right bolts for free and only had to spend 2 bucks on some copper washers .

drilled out the doughnut thingys to fit and away i went .

great responce tho!! just need a computer now

doubt ya turbo blew up from "overheating". I run a TDO5 in my legacy and I purposely do not run any water through it, if you have a decent turbo with decent bearings etc then theres no need to run water through it, whats the point in running your engine coolant through the hottest possible place in your engine?

My TDO5 is still mint as no play etc after around 5000km, exhaust housing glows red hot at night after a good thrash too- pretty cool

Guest boostcut

and you wonder why it glows red hot..... wat a dork. your trying to re invent the wheel... subaru spent millions reserching this for reliability... your glowing turbo wont be doing shit for intake temps or the oil thats sitting in there....

boostcut said:

and you wonder why it glows red hot..... wat a dork. your trying to re invent the wheel... subaru spent millions reserching this for reliability... your glowing turbo wont be doing shit for intake temps or the oil thats sitting in there....

Ive gota say i dont like the idea of my turbo glowing lol

mite still be good at 5000kms but thats not really alot

pl0x']

[quote name='boostcut said:

/quote]

Ive gota say i dont like the idea of my turbo glowing lol

mite still be good at 5000kms but thats not really alot

All turbos will glow red under high load for long periods of time. Thats just the turbine side of it though. The only reason that the water lines are there is to cool down the bearing housing when you've shut the car down hot (which you should never do btw) and is really just a longevity/reliabilty for idiots which the car manufacturer has to assume everyone is when they design a car.

The water cooling is in no way going to stop the turbine housing from glowing under long periods of high load.

by the way my turbo setup was done by a highly respected turbo technician who has spent years building high powered subarus for road/track/rally etc and does it to all of them, I think he knows what hes doing.......

Guest boostcut

could you tell us who this tech is???? id love to question him as it makes for a huge learning curve for me also.....

ok then... lets throw one out there....

The JDM Isuzu Piazza turbo runs a RBH turbo centre. (without water circuit.)

And the Aussie Built car runs the water circuit version of the same turbo.

Who was right? The JDM lads Or the Aus boys?

Now About two years ago i put a VF8 into my Piazza and did not connect up the water lines.

The car has never missed a beat the whole time it has been installed.

About 20 thousand km's and none of them easy.

boostcut said:

could you tell us who this tech is???? id love to question him as it makes for a huge learning curve for me also.....

I just told you what the water lines are there for. Basically the same thing as a turbo timer. Allows idiots to turn off their engine while hot without causing too many issues. Relieves a bit of the heat soak that occurs on shutdown.

We remove the water lines from the turbos on our rally cars too.

Not really.

Seem's to me that it removes a potential coolant leak.

The water hard pipes can get brittle over time, and the rubber hose's pre/post turbo can thin and split or develop a pinhole.

Not the sort of thing you need at ten tenths on a stage.

boostcut said:

1 word ..............ROUGH

And your reasoning for thinking that this is rough would be????

Just let the car cool down a bit before turning it off and the water line is completely redundant. So as mentioned by BC5RA, it removes a potential problem.

Guest boostcut

the fact that they are ment to have water cooled turbos and you guys decide you know better.... im not going to argue with you dudes about it anymore but i think you have to agree that its not ideal for every day driving/ longevity

There's alot of stuff that the factory put on the car that alot of people remove. The cars aren't designed purely as a performance vehicle. The accountants have their say on most aspects of the design so there is always areas that can be modified so the car suits my needs better.

i.e. Subaru must have spent ages designing the suspension, I've removed half the factory bits and pieces are replaced with aftermarket or custom stuff.

just thought it may have lead to the turbo busting because when i removed the vf8 there was a decient sized crack in the wastegate haha it was wasting the whole time i had it on there . i thought i could hv either been that or the fact there shit an i had it on full boost so it prob just gave up lol.

also just asumed you should have the water hooked up as how can it hurt ?

oh also zarnah do you have forgies ? wats your setup and how much boost do you think can be run safely without doing damage or having to replace ecu?

by all means run the water if you want to. vf8 and vf10 series turbos are well known for developing cracks around the wastegate inside the exhaust housing. No I dont run forgies or anything like that, setup is a bit different than in my sig picture now- Td05 turbo, custom siamese downpipe (seperate wastegate pipe) 2 1/2 inch exhaust,front mount intercooler, split fuel rail running greys (going to be yellows as soon as someone wants to sell me some) fat tank turbo intake, boost set at 14psi high 10psi low. factory legacy single turbo ecu doesnt like to run much over 15psi so keep it below that and it should be reasonably safe, note that I dont boost around all day everyday running most of the time I just run 10psi- nice and safe and also still a bit of fun

also note that 10psi with your TD05 is a lot stronger than 10psi with your vf8. simple test to check the strength of your turbo is put car in 2nd gear and just as boost starts to build keep your foot right up it but also apply the brakes at the same time, gives you a real "feel" for the turbo. would probly only really notice it if you had tried it with your vf8 and then again with the TD05.

I tried it and the TD05 definately keeps trying harder to build boost under braking than my vf8 did- dont know if any of that made sense, oh well.....

zarnah said:

by all means run the water if you want to. vf8 and vf10 series turbos are well known for developing cracks around the wastegate inside the exhaust housing. No I dont run forgies or anything like that, setup is a bit different than in my sig picture now- Td05 turbo, custom siamese downpipe (seperate wastegate pipe) 2 1/2 inch exhaust,front mount intercooler, split fuel rail running greys (going to be yellows as soon as someone wants to sell me some) fat tank turbo intake, boost set at 14psi high 10psi low. factory legacy single turbo ecu doesnt like to run much over 15psi so keep it below that and it should be reasonably safe, note that I dont boost around all day everyday running most of the time I just run 10psi- nice and safe and also still a bit of fun

my engine is same ecept for a 3 inch exaust and pistons and no frountmount .

i shall keep it safe around 12 for the mean time .

4* 575cc injestors

sti matching fuel rail

sti fuel regulator

sti ra spec c fuel pump

does anyone think this is a deal i should go for when its only $450

koom is correct the water coolant helps with the cooling of the core when the engine is shut off. Some late model Audis also run litte pumps to circulate water after the engine is switched off.

All the air cooled 911 Porsche turbos (up to 993) run turbo cores with no water gallerys at all. But Porsches do run 10L of oil

Also on the old group A rally cars (At Ralliart) we used to discount the water lines because with anti lag the turbo & exhaust manifold would run super hot & this would cause over heating of the coolant.

But the rally cars got oil changes before every event & the turbos got pulled off & serviced alot.

I would not remove the water lines because they will help your turbo stay alive for alot longer.

rex-leggy']

[quote name='zarnah said:

/quote]

Good deal. I want! If you spend that on those mate splash out and get a link or summin. Dont need to spend heaps. Possum link or whatever.

Youll be hauling again.

my engine is same ecept for a 3 inch exaust and pistons and no frountmount .

i shall keep it safe around 12 for the mean time .

4* 575cc injestors

sti matching fuel rail

sti fuel regulator

sti ra spec c fuel pump

does anyone think this is a deal i should go for when its only $450