Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Supporting mods needed to run TD05 in BC5?

CEG

I would go for a fuel pump to be safe, fuel rail mod with some yellow injectors, a.f meter and computer to suit then get it tuned properly and away you go. assuming you have things like a free flow exhaust good air filter and everything else runs well I shouldnt think you would need too much more. I am looking to do something similar to my beast once I save some more $$$ and get a recond longblock to go in. hehehe keep us informed on how it goes so I can learn whats what while you do it.

kamineko said:

if you just bolt on the td05, you might just need an EBC and set your boost at something reasonable. otherwise it will probably overboost on load and cut out

Our V2 WRX auto on factory boost control is sweet. Hits 12psi and tapers back to 10psi. Fair moves too.

Mine couldn't handle it with a chipped ECU. The control parameters the chip used for boost control was way too slow and it just free boosted. I actually managed to get it to work by running two solenoids in parallel as an experiment but then as it would hold 15 psi right up to red line the fueling was way off and was running dangerously lean (the previous VF10 dropped off up top). So then I freeboosted it as an experiment and it lost a rod bolt and perforated the block.....

Koom said:

Mine couldn't handle it with a chipped ECU. The control parameters the chip used for boost control was way too slow and it just free boosted. I actually managed to get it to work by running two solenoids in parallel as an experiment but then as it would hold 15 psi right up to red line the fueling was way off and was running dangerously lean (the previous VF10 dropped off up top). So then I freeboosted it as an experiment and it lost a rod bolt and perforated the block.....

I hope you just unbolted that rod (through the hole), and unplugged that injector and ran it as a 3 cylinder!!

boostin']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

I hope you just unbolted that rod (through the hole), and unplugged that injector and ran it as a 3 cylinder!!

I would have but the oil light came on as the rod had removed the intake to the oil pump on its way round. Bit of a pain really as I could have driven it home otherwise. Still using that crank to this day.

Koom said:

I would have but the oil light came on as the rod had removed the intake to the oil pump on its way round. Bit of a pain really as I could have driven it home otherwise. Still using that crank to this day.

Reminds me of a classic interview with an aussie guy by the name of Pete Geoghegan, who had just had a DNF at Bathurst some years ago. A reporter asked him what happened and Pete replied "electrical trouble." The reporter continued to quiz him, and he said in a dry tone, "yeah, the engine threw a conrod, and it knocked the alternator off!"

Koom said:

Haha dam. So only options are really to go for the whole link thing in which case I mayaswell grab a VF23 or the like and do the full thing. Any other solutions?

My opinion is that Koom's chip was to blame, not the turbo. I say bolt it on and go. If you want a bit of peace of mind, fit an intank Walbro pump.

I note in your project thread that your legacy has mid range fuelling issues with the TD05 too Boostin?

Id guess there would be all sorts of loom butchery needed to use a WRX ecu?

A cheap possumlink or the like would be your best bet imo

ODB said:

I note in your project thread that your legacy has mid range fuelling issues with the TD05 too Boostin?

Id guess there would be all sorts of loom butchery needed to use a WRX ecu?

A cheap possumlink or the like would be your best bet imo

+1 on the possumlink

It appears to be the chip at fault. That and I'm running boost outside the scope of the gen 1 map sensor. But like I said earlier, our basically stock V2 auto WRX has no issues with a TD05. The AF gauge sits firmly on rich with the boot hard up it. I would love a Link, however we apparently have better things to spend money on at the mo.

I'm running a TD05..

I have an 8 bit ecu with a modcontrol chip in it and run it off a Gizzmo EBC..

Still running greys and standard rails

Runs quite well..

I have been running like 14.5psi and it seems to handle it ok.

Always on 98.

And considering the only time i drive it i am racing it hasn't done any damage yet

madmike said:

I'm running a TD05..

I have an 8 bit ecu with a modcontrol chip in it and run it off a Gizzmo EBC..

Still running greys and standard rails

Runs quite well..

I have been running like 14.5psi and it seems to handle it ok.

Always on 98.

And considering the only time i drive it i am racing it hasn't done any damage yet

and i ran that exact same turbo (literally) on my BF5 and thrashed the tits off it on a daily basis for aaaaaages and it was fine, did have the turbo rebuilt after I took the car off the road though, and then Mike bullied me into giving it to him haha

boostin said:

It appears to be the chip at fault. That and I'm running boost outside the scope of the gen 1 map sensor. But like I said earlier, our basically stock V2 auto WRX has no issues with a TD05. The AF gauge sits firmly on rich with the boot hard up it. I would love a Link, however we apparently have better things to spend money on at the mo.

surely not :D

smokn4']

[quote name='boostin said:

It appears to be the chip at fault. That and I'm running boost outside the scope of the gen 1 map sensor. But like I said earlier, our basically stock V2 auto WRX has no issues with a TD05. The AF gauge sits firmly on rich with the boot hard up it. I would love a Link, b]however we apparently have better things to spend money on at the mo[/b].

I thought so too. Her opinion is different....

ODB said:

so what chip would you recommend for the OP to be able to run the TD05?

Dunno, maybe a VOS chip or Mod control? But then both of those are into PossumLink territory $$ wise.

I too ran a TD05 on my factory RS motor. Only mods were filter, exhaust and a Walbro pump. It ran fine upto 14psi or so. Anything more and it hit the factory boost cut alot. I later bought a Dynamic Race chip for about $150 or so off Trademe and that got rid of the boost cut, but I didn't run more than 16psi as apparently thats where they run into fueling trouble? Either way the chip didn't make a massive difference, but the TD05 certainly was an improvement compared to a VF8 or TD04.

I am actually going to go back to a TD05 this week and see if I can crack 200kw on an RS motor, however I now have a Link, FMIC and 440cc injectors.

when i 1st put my TD05 in that was the only mod i had besides the pod and front mount....car seeemed to run fine and heaps more ballz.....but that didnt last too long before the yellows /chipped ecu/walbro...etc

in the short term i think it will be sweet to chuck in the td05 but then yea better start thinking about your ecu/fueling etc before too long 8)

boostin']

[quote name='boostin said:

It appears to be the chip at fault. That and I'm running boost outside the scope of the gen 1 map sensor. But like I said earlier, our basically stock V2 auto WRX has no issues with a TD05. The AF gauge sits firmly on rich with the boot hard up it. I would love a Link, b]however we apparently have better things to spend money on at the mo[/b].

I thought so too. Her opinion is different....

bro if you ask nicely and give her breakfast in bed....

she might let you wear the pants on SUNDAY'S

:D :D SNAP!! :D :D