Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru debuts 3rd gen Boxer

Boxer lovers, the next chapter in your love affair has just begun. Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, has introduced the latest, third-generation boxer engine that will relieve the second-gen after 21 years of service. This is a brand new lump, not a rework, and FHI has built a factory just to produce it.

The displacement, bore and stroke have all been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements. The intake ports have been redesigned, lighter pistons and connecting rods offer reduced internal friction, and separate cooling circuitry for the block and the head are some of the changes that have resulted in a lower emissions and a ten percent increase in fuel efficiency. No power figures are being quoted yet, so we'll have to see how it measures up when it finds its way into production engine bays.

This new boxer will be Subaru's primary engine, and will first be seen in the Forester.

subaru3rd-genboxerLarge1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/subaru-debuts-third-generation-boxer-four-cylinder-engine/

"The displacement, bore and stroke have all been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements"

that statement does not make any sense

this is what really has happened

horizontally-opposed engine features new bore and stroke dimensions (84 x 90 mm compared to the previous 92 x 75 mm), for improved combustion. The new engine achieves a 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency compared to its predecessor

make more sense ;D

Why has no-one just developed an electronic one that feeds oil level info to the dash so you don't need to get your hands dirty while checking it? Cause seeing as none of the petrol stations have service on the forecourt anymore, my oil never gets checked....

Hell even the fuel tank has had a level gauge for half a million years already.

Koom said:

Why has no-one just developed an electronic one that feeds oil level info to the dash so you don't need to get your hands dirty while checking it? Cause seeing as none of the petrol stations have service on the forecourt anymore, my oil never gets checked....

Hell even the fuel tank has had a level gauge for half a million years already.

BMW have the electronic dipsticks.

I read somewhere 109kW/196Nm quoted as well as reference to the fact that being under-square reduces the engine's inclination to rev for more performance.

WTF ?!?

Most BMW's have biological dipsticks too.

:P

Porsches used to have a mechanical oil level gauge.

Lancias had a dashboard button that activated a mechanical vacuum measurement system, push too hard and the rubber tube would blow-off.

Looks like the water pump is now accessory belt powered too. That is a good thing. Timing chain should also reduce the 100,000K service cost quite a bit :P

And is that AVCS/AVLS/Dunno-what-but-something-intersting on all 4 cams?

I love my EJ's though, i do not look forward to it getting harder to buy parts for them over the next few decades, and i fully intend on keeping mine that long.

• 1 month later...

Japnese writting but showing pics.

http://golf4.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-201.html

Translated Verson.

http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://golf4.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-201.html&ei=Y2XTTN3lGYa0sAOovqHKDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://golf4.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-201.html%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1020%26bih%3D565

↑ FB20 type. オイルフィラー、レベルゲージ、オイルカートリッジの位置に注意 Oirufira, level gauge, note the location of the oil cartridge

このほどスバルの新世代エンジンに関する技術説明が行われ、ほぼその全容が明らかになった。 Technical description is made of a new generation of Subaru engines recently, almost the whole picture became clear. まずエンジン型式名は、FB型と発表。 Engine type name first, FB announcement type. したがって、北米用の2.5LはFB25型、日本でメインになる2.0LはFB20型となる。 Therefore, the FB25 2.5L North American type, as in Japan, the main type 2.0L will be FB20.

FB20のボア・ストロークは、84.0×90.0mm、FB25は94.0×90.0mm。 FB20 ・ bore stroke, 84.0 × 90.0mm, FB25 is 94.0 × 90.0mm. ボアピッチは98.4mmで、EZ系(6気筒)、EE系(ターボディーゼル)と同じ生産ラインで流されることが分かる。 The bore pitch is 98.4mm, EZ system (cylinder 6), EE system (turbo diesel) is seen to be played on the same production line. とはいえ、FB型のエンジンの骨格、部品は新設計である。 However, FB skeleton type engine parts are new designs.

The concept of development, characterized by a boxer engine revs up to high revs rise, but will remain stress-free, that aimed to improve environmental performance and ease of use can increase combustion efficiency. 「え? 今の時代に高回転まで狙っているの?」という気がしないでもないないが、実際には6000回転+アルファが最高許容回転数だろう。 "What? Is trying to high speed until the age now?" But not even I do not feel that it is actually 6000 + rpm maximum allowable rotation alpha.

具体的な開発の狙いは燃焼効率(燃焼速度)のアップと、平均有効圧力の向上=摩擦抵抗の低減をメインに、低中速トルクとレスポンスを高めることで扱いやすさ、ドライバビリティをを高めることだ。 The specific aim of developing efficient combustion (burning rate) and up, the main increase in mean effective pressure-reducing the frictional resistance by increasing the manageability of a low-speed torque and response, enhance the drivability thing.

そのため90mmというストロークを選定し、FB20ではロングストロークに、FB25はわずかにオーバースクエアとなっている。 Select a stroke of 90mm Sono Tame, FB20 in long strokes, FB25 has become slightly over-square. もちろんロングストローク化そのものが目的というより、燃焼室径をより小さくし、あわせてバルブ挟み角を狭めることで超コンパクトペントルーフ型燃焼室にし、燃焼速度を高めているわけだ。 The purpose of the stroke itself, rather than long, of course, smaller than the diameter of the combustion chamber, combustion chamber to narrow the angle and ultra Konpakutopentorufu pinch valve together, but they get to increase the burning rate.

バルブ挟み角は最終型のEJ20(DOHC)との比較で41度→27度と大幅に縮小。 Pinch-type valve is the final corner EJ20 (DOHC) and significantly reduced time compared with 27 → 41 degrees. 吸排気のカム芯間距離は126mm→104mmと限界まで攻めている。 The distance between the core 126mm → 104mm intake and exhaust cams are the limits to attack. ちなみに最初期のEJ20はクラス最高の出力を狙ったスポーツエンジンとされ、バルブ挟み角は意図的に52度と広く、ビッグボアを前提にバルブ面積の拡大とストレートポートを追求した、本格的な高出力・高回転型エンジンだった。 The earliest way EJ20 is the engine and sports aimed at the class output angle clamp valve is large and 52 degrees and deliberately pursued a straight port and the area expansion valve assumption Big Bore, high output full-scale - was a high speed engine. FB型と比べるとまさに隔世の感がある。 FB have a sense of the type than just poles apart.

The structurally-cylinder unit and the cam carrier is separated expressions, productivity has been increased maintainability.

カム駆動はチェーン式となり、補機は1本ベルトで駆動される。 The cam drive chain and expression, the auxiliary machine belt driven by one. もっともチェーン駆動としたため、エンジンフロントカバーはアルミ鋳造製となっている。 And chain drive for most Enjinfurontokaba made of aluminum casting has become. なおチェーン潤滑はオイルパン一体式である。 The chain lubrication is an integral oil pan.

FB20はレギュラーガソリン仕様のため、圧縮比は10.5。 FB20 specifications for regular gasoline, 10.5 compression ratio. ピストン頭部は浅皿形状になっている。 The piston head shape is a shallow dish. 動弁は、摩擦抵抗を減らすために、従来のダイレクト式からローラロッカーアーム式に変更。 Valve is to reduce friction, the equation changes Rorarokkaamu direct expression of art.

The combustion chamber configuration and the narrow valve angle is sandwiched between a good shape compact and increasingly difficult while the intake port shape. レース用であればストレートポート、ストレートインテークマニホールドも可能であるが、幅と高さに制限がある乗用車のエンジンルームではポートを含め大きな角度で曲げざるを得ない。 If racing straight port, Sutoretointekumanihorudo It is possible, in the engine room of passenger cars is limited to the width and height can not help 曲Gezaru ports, including at a large angle.

高出力と低速トルクを両立させるためにはポート形状、吸気をどのようにするかが大きな問題であり、そのひとつの解が可変バルブリフト機構である。 In order to achieve both high power and low-speed torque port shape is a major issue, or how the intake variable valve lift mechanism is the solution of one of them. しかしFB型エンジンは従来から使用実績のあるTGVを選択した。 But FB is the proven engine selected using conventional TGV. ポート図のように、ポート側にもTGV用の隔壁を設け、低速時にはTGVを閉じ、吸気を容積の狭い隔壁上部に流すことで吸気流速を高め、なおかつピストン頭部の形状に合わせて縦渦を生成し、均一な混合気を作ることができるようにしているのだ。 As shown the port side or the port TGV provided a partition wall for, at low speed TGV closed, increasing inspiratory flow rate by playing the top wall a small volume of the intake vortex to match the shape of the piston head yet generated, so that they can make a uniform mixture.

When running a large number of low load than conventional EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to introduce, but also for enhancing ignition TGV will be adopted. 大量EGRの導入は、低負荷走行時にスロットル開度を大きくし、ポンピング損失を低減させる狙いだ。 The introduction of high EGR, increase the throttle when driving low load, it aims to reduce the pumping loss.

ユニークなことにEGRの体積効率を高めるために、ディーゼルエンジンのようなEGRクーラーを装備する。 Unique to that EGR volumetric efficiency of a diesel engine as an EGR cooler provided. おそらくガソリンエンジンでは他に例を見ないと思う。 The gasoline engine would probably not see the other cases. ただディーゼル用のEGRクーラーは冷却コアを持つ本格的なインタークーラー方式が多いが、水平対向エンジンの場合はエンジン後部上面に左右のシリンダーブロックを接続する流水路を装備するため、FB型はここの内部パイプにEGRを流すことで冷却する水冷式EGRクーラーとしているのだ。 For the diesel but EGR cooler is often system intercooler in earnest with a core cooling if the horizontally opposed engine in order to equip and flow that connects the cylinder block left and right upper back of the engine, FB type within this cooled by water-cooled EGR pipe to flow through EGR cooler and it has been.

Each of the intake and exhaust cam AVCS (variable valve timing) is equipped. 従来は吸気側だけであったが今回から吸排気両方に装備し、高膨張比的な運転も行うことができる。 Equipped with both conventional exhaust from the intake side was only this can be done with an expansion ratio operation. そのため、吸気側のAVCSは油圧式としては初の中間点ロック式とした。 Therefore, as hydraulic AVCS intake side of the midpoint of the first and locking. 従来の油圧式はエンジン停止時には片側ロックとなっていたが、中間ロック式ではエンジン停止時に中間位置で止まり、再始動時には状況に合わせて遅角側に作動させることも可能になり、早閉じ、遅閉じのいずれもできる。 Conventional hydraulic Upon stopping the engine had become the rock on one side, by locking the intermediate stop at an intermediate position during engine shutdown, on restart becomes possible to operate with the retarded according to the situation, closing early, None of that can be closed slowly.

排気マニホールドも新設計となり等長エキゾーストマニホールドの集合部の体積を減らし、さらにその直下に触媒を配置し、始動時の熱損失を少なくして触媒活性化を早めている。 Reduce the volume of the set of equal length exhaust manifold and exhaust manifold is also new design, put it more directly under the catalyst, which accelerate the activation of the catalyst to reduce heat loss during startup. なお燃焼改善により有害物質の発生量も少なくなっているため、触媒の貴金属容量は30%減、触媒コストは半減しているという。 Due to the small amount of hazardous materials generated by the improved combustion The amount of the precious metal catalyst is 30% lower that the catalyst cost by half.

冷却面では、燃焼室周囲をじゅうぶんに冷却する一方でシリンダーブロック部分は高温を維持する2系統冷却を採用。 In terms of cooling, while the cylinder block portion around the combustion chamber is cooled enough to employ two systems to keep cool temperatures. さらにボトムバイパス通路も新設して暖気の促進をはかりシリンダー部の摩擦抵抗低減と冷却損失の低減の両立をはかっている。 Hakatsu to reduce the balance of friction reduction and cooling loss of the cylinder to balance the promotion of new warm air can even bypass passage bottom.

摩擦抵抗を減らすために、ボアは真円加工、すなわちボアのボーリング時にはダミーヘッドを組み付け、スタッドボルト軸力を加えた上で加工する。 To reduce friction, circular bore machining, drilling bore when assembled dummy head that has worked to make the axial force on the stud. 欧州の高級車のエンジンの手法だが、近年は摩擦抵抗を一段と減らすために、日産マーチ用エンジンでも採用されている。 But the European luxury car engine approach, more recent years to reduce friction, which is also used for the engine Nissan March.

ピストン、コンロッドも従来レベルより約20%軽量化された。 Piston, connecting rod about 20% of the conventional level of weight reduction. またバルブ駆動がローラーロッカーアーム式にしたり、オイルポンプのリリーフ圧を低める2段リリーフなどによっても摩擦抵抗を低減している。 Rorarokkaamu expression and the valve drive also has to reduce friction and also by lowering the two-stage pressure relief oil pump relief.

エンジン重量は、アルミ鋳造フロントカバー、AVCSの4個装備などにより従来のEJ20型より少し重くなっている。 The engine weight, cast aluminum front cover, AVCS conventional equipment due to the four types from the EJ20 is a little heavy.

FB型の性能は、燃費が約10%、加速性能は約3%、アクセル開度が少ない状態での加速、つまり実用域での加速でレスポンス、加速感の向上が実現しているという。 FB-type performance, fuel economy of about 10%, about 3% acceleration, with low acceleration accelerator opening, the response acceleration in the range of practical means to achieve a better acceleration feel.

なお今回発表されたFB型は自然吸気に特化したチューニングが行われているのだが、レギュラーガソリン仕様とはいえ、出力はやや物足りない気がする。 The FB type is announced today but have been tuned specifically for the naturally aspirated, with regular gasoline specifications, however, feel that the output is somewhat unsatisfactory. 逆に出力を抑えるのであればより低回転化してもよかったのに。 You did not have lingering than if converted to suppress the reverse.

もちろん今後の展開としては、シリンダーヘッド、ピストンやコンロッドなどを専用設計することでターボ化、直噴化が可能になると考えられる。 As a future development course, cylinder head, special design of the turbo by pistons and connecting rods, etc., can be considered as direct 噴化.

このエンジンは今後10年間といったスパンでのスバルを支えるエンジンの原型といえる。 This engine is considered the prototype of the underlying engine in the Subaru and span the next 10 years. 将来的にはダウンサイジングコンセプトも考慮されているようだが、それを実現するにはしばらく時間を要すると思われる。 In the future, but seems to have been downsizing also consider the concept, to realize it is expected to take some time

newsuba said:

I read somewhere 109kW/196Nm quoted as well as reference to the fact that being under-square reduces the engine's inclination to rev for more performance.

WTF ?!?

Most BMW's have biological dipsticks too.

Porsches used to have a mechanical oil level gauge.

Lancias had a dashboard button that activated a mechanical vacuum measurement system, push too hard and the rubber tube would blow-off.

i got a lancia beta and found that out lol the hose was so brittle it just snaped!

gta say tho best na engine i have ever had they rev extremely hard . I hate monster tachs with a passion but i

had to have one so i knew wat i was doing because after i got the cams done it just revd and revd AMAZING!

(must get it back together for a track day)

I had a 1984 Beta HPE IE.

It looked great but what bag of s*** to own, it had crappy electrics, leaked, the paint came off (on a near brand new car) and I would get dragged off by guys in their Civic GTi s

Best thing I ever did was get rid of it.