Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What argument do you put up when you get a "unreliable subaru "rant from people?

ben-jamminn

I was avoiding buying one this year because of the whole 'oh they're terrible to work on'.

I did try out a couple of toyotas, looked at a caldina and was going to buy it. My Toyota Carib has over 300K on the clock, and I seriously haven't serviced it in the last 5 years I've driven it (it's OK, certainly not the plan with my Legacy).

I tried out a Leggy because there were so many around, and half the price of a similar Toyota.

I ended up getting a 95 LX 2.2 and I really liked it - I liked the size of it and how it sits on the road - until some stupid bitch ran a red light and a wrote it off on her Supra. I felt completely safe in that accident, not a bruise on me.

After that, I was set on getting another one and have a 1999 TX now - which needs some definite TLC but has gotten over to the west coast and back the last 3 weeks without a hitch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GravelBen']

[quote name='1989RS said:

most mobil and some bp stations do even thought its like $2 per litre

/quote]

Depends where you live... nowhere south of Dunedin sells 98 dammit.

My 3 local BP's have stopped selling 98 and have gone to 95, and the same with the Mobils...

slystiguy said:

the turbo ones are the ones that are "unreliable" an they're not really unreliable its just how they get treated, wrong petrol not enough oil changes young people thrashing them all day long ect ect an honestly.... does anyone know any 200+hp cars that make it past 300km easy without some sort of major repairs?

any to anyone who says they expensive to fix just say to them do they actually know that or just talking s***? last time I checked stubaru does cambelts for 280$... once got quoted 1500$ for a clutch change O_O because of the intercooler was so hard to remove... I was like wow really want me to do it ?

it depends who you go to an what you want done....

my rant over, got an ignorant f*** at work who constantly coming out with bs like that about subarus, i just say all good well you wont be wanting to ride in it EVER

So he does a cambelt for cheaper than the price of just parts to do one? when we bought the mrs wrx there were a few things we wernt happy with and asked the owner to get them sorted before we picked it up.... he took it to stubaru..... lets just say the work was "sub-standard" (no pun intended)

slystiguy said:

is there much of an advantage buying 98 over 95? ive always used 95 on all my subarus

Much more so for turbo than NA and it can depend on the specific car, but generally yes - for example my GTB (BH Rev-D) is usually 10-15% more economical on 98 than 95, as well as making more power/torque throughout the rev range and running more smoothly.

• Admin

My V3 WRX ran HEAPS better on 98. Way smoother and vastly improved fuel economy which offset the additional cost.

My V7, no idea, it's only ever had 98 in it in the time I've owned it.

And what argument do I use? Apart from the 'well, it hasn't broken on me yet' line, I go with "It's the quality of the k's you get from a car that matter, not the quantity"