Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF banjo bolts!!! wat a mystery

Guest S T  E Y E

Guest S T  E Y E

so ive searched on all other forums and this one and have no ACTUAL FACTS

some forums are saying the banjo on the turbo itself is different between the TD and the VF23/22 and some forums are saying the banjo on the head is different...

soo i need actual facts not bullshit

the reason is because my cars a wagon so woulda came factory with td04 and wen i got it it was fitted with vf22...

the vf22 had no oil seal leakage and blew no smoke so im only guessing that its the right bolt...

i read somewhere that the VF23/22 should have a 1mm restrictor on the banjo bolt on the turbo and a 4-5mm hole in the banjo bolt on the head with a filter?? some people recomend removing the filter...

can i get some answers asap i dont wana fuck the new turbo i get

cheers guys

I think you're on the right track.

I'm running a TD05H now, but I had a VF24 (same CHRA as your 22/23) and that definitely had a 1.00mm restrictor in the turbo banjo bolt.

From my experience it appears that head banjo's are about the same (not sure about later models, I'm talking EJ20G, H, K & R here).

All the VFs have the same banjo as far as I know, I bought a brand new one from Subaru for a vf30 which is journal bearing and it still had the 1mm just like the ones from the TT legacies and the vf22 I also had. The TD05s were the only turbo to have a bigger aperture, not sure how big that is but the mitsi one that I have now is 4-5mm and there is a 2mm ish restrictor in the chra iself.

Guest S T  E Y E

aw yea i read on another forum that a vf22/23 runs a 1mm restrictor on the turbo and a vf34 runs a 1.5mm restrictor on the turbo

ive pretty much sorted it down to the fact i need a 1mm restrictor on my turbo but what about the other banjo bolt im unsure about this

Guest S T  E Y E

really?

i have measured mine and i red somewhere that a vf22/vf23 should run a 1mm on the turbo and i measured mine (roughly) at 1.5 with one hole (not both sides) and the head bolt is around 5-5.5mm and online it says 4-5mm so does anyone think this will be ok?

Itll be ok. Just keep checking for the first wee while any leaks or blue smoke out the back. If you start getting that change it over. You can get custom stainless ones made for them with whatever feed size you want. Normally about $80 i think...down here anyway.

• 1 month later...

old topic but need some info:

im looking to change from a vf30 to a vf22 (not fully there but 90% is the plan) - its a v7sti

anyway, i have gotten a vf22 but no oil feed banjo bolt on it.

in case the seller is not able to get the oil feed bolt that is missing on vf22 the turbo, i have a few questions:

1 - will i be able to use the oil feed banjo bolt off the vf30 on the vf22? if not i have a TD04L banjo bolt - will that fit ok if the vf30 one does not?

2 - do i need to change any thing on the block for the oil feed etc?

3 - is there anything else i need to consider as far as the whole turbo swap goes in terms of water and oil lines/restrictors?

i have not done this swap before hence the questions.. i read stuff abt 1mm restrictors and 1.5mm and all that and an a tad confused lol

on a side note, a mate of mine swapped his td04 for a vf22 and used the banjo bolt from the td04 the vf22 and the car ran ok , no smokes etc..

does that mean the oil restrictor on the td04 is correct to use for a vf22? note he didnt change anything on the block side as far as oil/water went

all help/adv appreciated...

Guest S T  E Y E

na man a td04 bolt alloys to much oil as a td04 is wet floating bearing...vf22 is ball bearing...

measure ur banjo bolts and let us know

i read up and i think its posted before on this topic that vf22 and vf23 is supose to have a 4-5 mm bolt on the head and a 1 sided 1-1.5mm bolt on the turbo

Guest S T  E Y E

hmm..its not recomended at all to run a wet floating bearing set of banjos on a ballbearing turbo....

its too much oil for it

if your super worried about it Pappu just get some proper VF22 banjos from subaru new? cant go wrong that way

boon said:

I recently changed from a VF30 to VF34 (BB center) - didn't change banjo bolts and I don't have any issues with it pushing oil.

hmm from what i have read its vf34 similar to vf22 bring BB so same oil needs..

but u already had the restricted banjo bolt in the vf34 yea? or did u put the vf30 one in there?

how much of a difference did the vf34 make on the vf30

S T E Y E said:

hmm..its not recomended at all to run a wet floating bearing set of banjos on a ballbearing turbo....

its too much oil for it

if your super worried about it Pappu just get some proper VF22 banjos from subaru new? cant go wrong that way

u meaning i cannot use the vf30 banjo bolt on the vf22?

• Admin
 pappu']

[quote name='boon said:

I recently changed from a VF30 to VF34 (BB center) - didn't change banjo bolts and I don't have any issues with it pushing oil.

/quote]

hmm from what i have read its vf34 similar to vf22 bring BB so same oil needs..

but u already had the restricted banjo bolt in the vf34 yea? or did u put the vf30 one in there?

how much of a difference did the vf34 make on the vf30

The VF34 came with no fittings so we just used the ones that were on the 30. Doesn't smoke or anything. Reading on the 'net it sounds like the VF30 has a pretty restricted bolt anyway.

VF34 runs great. Boost comes on maybe 400-500rpm earlier? Car also drives smoother although it now has virtually no engine braking in 4th or higher, probably also due in part to the rest of the exhaust though.