Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

air flow through front bumper

funkytown

Looking at the c-west front bumpers the allow for alot more air into radiator / FMIC area, as well as the spot light area if you wanted to put coolers in those areas.

Anyone had experience with opening up a standard front bumper and doing a nice job?

pics, thoughts, advice plz.

Opening up the bumper will lower the radiator's ability to cool at high speed i.e. on the track. Having an opening in a good high pressure spot i.e. the front, that is smaller than the radiator means that the air has to slow down as the area increases from the opening to the radiator. Then it spends more time passing through the radiator and transferring heat.

I have no idea at what speeds this becomes critical though, need to find where my books have gone that had details. Think it may have been Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost"?

Also a good setup will have the opening at the front, and then ducting around the radiator so that once the air enters the bumper opening, it can only pass through the radiator, otherwise you will loose precious air around the radiator as it takes the path of least resistance.

Here's some images that I prepared years in advance; (think these are from Maximum Boost too, found them on my photobucket)

ducting.jpg

frontalareaofduct.jpg

At the extreme end of the scale, have a look at the front end of a Nascar, airflow duct area for the radiator is pretty small.

nascar-girls.gif

And a note on better intercooler design,

frontalarea.jpg

Koom']

[quote name='JoKer said:

what NASCAR

but yea thats why I said no BLAZD

/quote]

You may have said "NO" but I backed it up with diagrams, and tits and ass. I wish school had been that good at providing education!

I only saw tits and ass...

Oh wait there was other stuff...

If anyone is interested, here's the ducting I did from my intercooler to the radiator.

This means that all the air passing through my intercooler HAS to go through the radiator rather than escaping out the top/bottom/sides.

Pretty easy to do as well - just need some thin alloy sheet, tin snips, and a rivet gun ;)

Duct1.jpg

Duct2.jpg

Duct5.jpg

Duct4.jpg

Every little bit helps when it comes to controlling temps on the track...

BLAZD']

a bit off topic but hell, everything you do and the quality is just amazing

Cheers man, it aint that fancy, but should definitly serve its purpose :)

[quote name='pedro said:

And the floor is spotless as well. :)

hahaha, I try to keep my garage clean ;) (although sometimes hard with all the crap I have laying around...)

• 3 years later...

if it was mine i would have run the top plate way down the rad to nearly half the height of the ic . as you can only get an airflow = to half the size of the ic through the ic . where as the virgin air from the grill over the top of the ic could have cooled half of the radiator as opposed to the 1/4 it goes to now

lachlan said:

if it was mine i would have run the top plate way down the rad to nearly half the height of the ic . as you can only get an airflow = to half the size of the ic through the ic . where as the virgin air from the grill over the top of the ic could have cooled half of the radiator as opposed to the 1/4 it goes to now

Lol.......