Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Uprated antiroll bars for B4/BE legacys?

Optical

Custom ones can be heated and bent at places like George Stock & co down here or you can get a bar splined and mounts for the links put on. I dont think its too much work although you might need to know what size you want to go to or have them made up adjustable.

Probly not much around for the BE as they are the only models with multi link rear suspension arent they?

Optical said:

I see a whiteline fixed 20mm and a cusco adjustable 18mm available in NZ.

What other options are there?

Im pretty sure whiteline do a 20mm adjustable - isn't the stock one a mere 16mm ?

Why do you want to change them? Bigger is not always better. If you go too big on the front you will understeer more. You need to change antiroll bars either up or down depending on the tendency to over or understeer. Just going bigger in the front will not allow you to corner any harder, if a 20mm bar made the car handle better Subaru would have made it that size. Anyway if you must go bigger make sure you do something with the back end too.

Flippymoi said:

Why do you want to change them? Bigger is not always better. If you go too big on the front you will understeer more. You need to change antiroll bars either up or down depending on the tendency to over or understeer. Just going bigger in the front will not allow you to corner any harder, if a 20mm bar made the car handle better Subaru would have made it that size. Anyway if you must go bigger make sure you do something with the back end too.

To an extent I agree with your statement on the changes experienced when changing anti roll bars around.

However it is not strictly true that an item fitted by a manufacturer must be or is better simply because it was fitted as standard especially when the benefit or detrimental effect is negligible when compared to cost when it comes to OE fitted equipment as manufacturers tend to put alot of weight on cost savings...

a 20mm bar may have cost more (probably does over a 16mm bar), so savings talks when building cars... They would have RnD'd to the point where they could dial out any worries via other easily changeable and cost effective ways that would have saved them a motsa over fitting the bigger bars...

i.e. $0.10 savings over 200 000 cars = $20 000.00...

I think it depends entirely on the current handling/setup of the car and what you are trying to get out of it. I doubt that Optical doesn't realise the implications of going to bigger bars and at a guess, the Prova Legacy is a wee way off being a standard car anyway.

Koom said:

I think it depends entirely on the current handling/setup of the car and what you are trying to get out of it. I doubt that Optical doesn't realise the implications of going to bigger bars and at a guess, the Prova Legacy is a wee way off being a standard car anyway.

Bit of an understatement.

ah whoops i should clarify im talking about the rear bar only, front is ok for now/less important.

Impreza bars do fit the front but the rear bar is very different.

Interesting thought about the GRB bars, might be hard to find one to test fit...

Couldnt see anything applicable on 41auto, might just have to go for the whiteline one :(

There are a few slightly larger ones in the US but shipping would be prohibitive.