Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sti Factory Boost Setting!?!?

Hey guys im new to this site and just bought my 1st subaru ;) Its a real well looked after 1996 version 2 sti ra v-limited, minor mods. with fresh rebuild..

Running an external wastegate, the factory boost controller has be removed running spring pressure. Which is only 5psi!! Must have been good for the run in but....

Now i need to know how high is the factory boost setting so i can set it with a boost controller.. ??

Thanks!

Will it run 14/15 even though its only a VERSION 2?? i thought maybe they ran lower as i only set it at 7psi, It has a cold air intake and pod filter, external wastegate plumbed in, huge dump pipe off the turbo , 3inch straight exhaust, Adj BOV and equal legnth tuned headers.. , Rebuild was just factory pistons rings rods new lifters or bucket n shim whatver they are called. Still top mounted.. Should it be front mounted? or? should i post in another thread? Cheers

dont run more than 12 would be my advice but others may argue?

the version 2 sti should have a td05 turbo with the 90degree bend which is its main down fall, you could look into a twisted setup

research into the split fuel rails mod if you haven't done it already, it make boost tampering safer

also it should have grey injectors so could upgrade to yellows?

Yeah i just went and checked its got a TDO5H i think i read. didnt check the injectors, so get a twisted turbo setup and maybe upgrade the injectors then run 14/15? ill probably throw it to NZEFI to make sure its not detonating, If i wanted to run more than 16 would i need the ECU played with? and probably injectors and external fuel pump eh?...

Thanks guys i feel safe turning it up to atleast 12, For now ;)

15psi is perfect for your car... STI dont have fuel cut if you run over 16psi, i only see boost cut in most wagons wrx but hardly any sadans

hope u enjoy your REX and welcome to ClubSub....

see you at the lights hahaha

found this http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,9493.msg133035.html#msg133035

the 2nd post has all the factory boost.

got this from JDMVIP.COM:

U8, 2C - 1993/1994 WRX – TDO5-11.47PSI (0.8BAR) TO REDLINE -FUELCUT 14.5PSI (1BAR) - 240PS (237BHP)

W6 - 1993 WRX RA – TDO5- 11.47PSI (0.8BAR) -FUELCUT 14.5PSI (1BAR) - 240PS (237BHP)

W9 - 1994 WRX RA - 11.47PSI (0.8BAR) -FUELCUT 14.5PSI (1BAR) - 240PS (237BHP)

SA (STI CHIPPED) - VER1 STI (SEDAN AND WAGON)- 14.94PSI

SB (STI CHIPPED) - VER1 STI-RA - 13.64PSI

SC (STI CHIPPED) – SAME AS Z4 - VER2 STI WAGON - -12.7PSI (0.9BAR), DROPPING TO 11.7PSI (0.8BAR) @ 6600RPM

FUEL CUT 15.65PSI (1.08BAR)-260PS (256BHP) - 7250RPM

Z4 - 1995/1996 WRX – SAME AS SC- 12.7PSI (0.9BAR), DROPPING TO 11.7PSI (0.8BAR) @ 6600RPM

- FUEL CUT 15.65PSI (1.08BAR) - 260PS (256 BHP) – 7250RPM

Z5 - 1995/1996 WRX-RA - 12.57PSI

6K - VER2 STI SEDAN – SAME AS PRODRIVE-TDO5- 13.33PSI (0.92BAR) BUT PEAKS TO 13.6PSI (0.94BAR) @ 5600RPM, THEN DROPS TO 12.71PSI (0.87BAR) @ 6600RPM- FUEL CUT 15.65PSI (1.07BAR)-7500RPM-380CC

7K - VER2 STI-RA - 13.17PSI(0.9BAR) BUT PEAKS TO 13.64PSI (0.94BAR) @ 5800RPM- FUEL CUT 15.96PSI (1.1BAR)-

PRODRIVE UK ECU (PRODRIVE CHIPPED) – SAME AS 6K – 13.33PSI (0.92BAR) BUT PEAKS TO 13.6PSI (0.94BAR) @ 5600RPM, THEN DROPS TO 12.71PSI (0.87BAR) @ 6600RPM- FUEL CUT 15.65PSI (1.07BAR)-7500RPM-380CC

1C, 3B, V9, V5 , V9, 4B, ALL(?TBC) WRX WAGONS - 10.55PSI (0.7BAR) DROPPING TO 6.84PSI (0.5BAR) STARTS TO DROP @ 5000RPM – FUEL CUT 13.79PSI (0.95BAR) -

• 1 month later...

WTF is this?

I bought my leggy with a V4 single plug ecu and single VF22 and the guy said it was running 'stock 7psi'. wouldn't the untuned ecu be messing my fuel/air ratio up? where the hell is the spring in a vf22? please tell me it's easy to get too...

There's no 'set spring' in a VF22, it's governed by a internal wastegate controlled by your ECU, unless that's been welded up and your running a external wastegate.

7psi will be the stock boost the Legacy came out of the factory with, not the VF22's 'stock' pressure (these came out on the early GC8 STi's and from memory run around 16psi stock).

factory boost on the wrx is 14.7psi.

don't take the turbo out just put in an aftermarket electronic boost controller i put one in my wrx when i put a vf22 in.

Now it runs 10psi low boost and 16psi high boost as its only a wrx no point running higher boost my car will just go bang sooner.

best bet is to get it boosting the 15PSI with the stock set up first as this proves that the ECU is not in safe mode limiting the boost due to unforseen problems, THEN chuck your aftermarket boost control on :)

as you can imagine chucking aftermarket boost control on and setting it at 15PSI is rathet risky if the ECU is running the engine in a safe mode tune due to other issues...