Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Looking to buy 2003 BP legacy - some questions

Ichi Ban said:

no turbo diesel untill 2009 in forester first then introducted into 2010 legacy / outback

2.5N/A , 2.0R, 2.0N/A , 2.0 GT , 2.0 GT B spec, 3.0R ,3.0R B sepc for 2003 - 2007

2.5 Turbo was introduced to line up after 2007 and 2.0 turbo became domestic spec only

the 2.0 GT and 2.0 GT B spec are turboed i know. but from wat ive seen the 3.0R and 3.0R B spec are not :-/ correct me if im wrong :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ichi Ban said:

no turbo diesel untill 2009 in forester first then introducted into 2010 legacy / outback

2.5N/A , 2.0R, 2.0N/A , 2.0 GT , 2.0 GT B spec, 3.0R ,3.0R B sepc for 2003 - 2007

2.5 Turbo was introduced to line up after 2007 and 2.0 turbo became domestic spec only

Turbo diesel very definitely introduced in the BP model legacy and outback, very late in the model run. Both legacy and Outback versions and manual only. A black Outback diesel in the BP model was just last week advertised on Trademe. Listing just expired.

Diesel in BP will be 2010 spec vehcile

VADZTER']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

2.5N/A , 2.0R, 2.0N/A , b]2.0 GT[/b] , 2.0 GT B spec, 3.0R ,3.0R B sepc for 2003 - 2007

the 2.0 GT and 2.0 GT B spec are turboed i know. but from wat ive seen the 3.0R and 3.0R B spec are not :-/ correct me if im wrong :D

Correct :) was just staing that - 2.5turbo wasnt released in legacy till 2007 and replaced 2.0 turbo except for JDM

Ichi Ban']

Diesel in BP will be 2010 spec vehcile

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

2.5N/A , 2.0R, 2.0N/A , b]2.0 GT[/b] , 2.0 GT B spec, 3.0R ,3.0R B sepc for 2003 - 2007

Correct :) was just staing that - 2.5turbo wasnt released in legacy till 2007 and replaced 2.0 turbo except for JDM

anyone know wat the drive difference is between the 2ltr turbo and the 3ltr non turbo? is it possible to turbo the 3ltr? lol that wud be a monster haha

anyone know wat the drive difference is between the 2ltr turbo and the 3ltr non turbo? is it possible to turbo the 3ltr? lol that wud be a monster haha

Same sort of perform with alot more torque, and lets not bring up the 30R turbo question as its been covered alot in the past, and its a bitch

2Lt turbo in manual form is quite laggy and doesn't have a lot of torque down low. On boost, very strong. In auto form the laggy-ness is not so noticeable. 3.0L is typical of n/a large capacity motors with plenty of low down torque and smooth linear power buildup through the revs (in manual form at least). All BP 3.0L legacy's in manual have the sweet 6 speed gearbox both pre and post facelift. 2.0L turbos came with 5 speed manual boxes, upgraded to the 6 speed for the facelift (2007 onwards).

I drove a facelift back to back with ours, and preferred the ratios in the five speeder. I wouldn't have said they were that laggy either. I would love to chuck ours on a dyno for interests sake. Peak torque is supposed to be 2400 RPM!

GorGasmSpecB said:

Yep 100k service is expensive regardless of engine. Although a bit cheaper not having to do the cambelt.

My BL5 is coming up for it's 100,000km service. Been quoted $2000-$2300 for full service including 'cambelt'. That's Winger Subaru and Armstrong Subaru.

Cam belt kit $395.00

... ???

Look intoi it further its way more than just a cambelt

those base kits dont usually inc water pump

coolant

oil engine , diffs x2 and special trans fluid for those with auto box

Pollen filter , upper eng cleaner

Brakes as req'd

Plugs - around $30each

Also you go to a dealer you get dealer pricing ! ie $100hr on average nowdays that job is worth 6-7hrs

I did 100k last year on a BL blitzen and the cost was $2300 inc calcium battery and front pads

eddiewould']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

Yep 100k service is expensive regardless of engine. Although a bit cheaper not having to do the cambelt.

/quote]

My BL5 is coming up for it's 100,000km service. Been quoted $2000-$2300 for full service including 'cambelt'. That's Winger Subaru and Armstrong Subaru.

Cam belt kit $395.00

... ???

I can do for you tailored to suit your budget

did you gve them the full chassis or have they just given you a generic 100k price for a 2.0 or 2.5l

Do you think they will try and charge you for a cambelt and then not fit one because its a 3.0 ?? Really

mitSUBishi-guy said:

2Lt turbo in manual form is quite laggy and doesn't have a lot of torque down low. On boost, very strong. In auto form the laggy-ness is not so noticeable. 3.0L is typical of n/a large capacity motors with plenty of low down torque and smooth linear power buildup through the revs (in manual form at least). All BP 3.0L legacy's in manual have the sweet 6 speed gearbox both pre and post facelift. 2.0L turbos came with 5 speed manual boxes, upgraded to the 6 speed for the facelift (2007 onwards).

I find the 2.0GT has a lot more mid range torque. The 3.0R is doesn't have that much low down either. The 3.0 is a rev happy beast. The 2.0 turbo is a boost junkie with more a bit more pull. The 2.0 turbo is also faster all round.

If you have to ask if you can turbo the 3.0 then no, you can't turbo the 3.0.

That service quote is far too much as well

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Service/Service_Estimate.php quotes $1755 for wingers auckland to do a service on a 2.0 GT manual.

Wow this thread spiralled.

Back on topic, have bought it and have owned it for the past week. Loving it. Thanks for the comments guys! Always in the back of my mind that unless you buy new (which doesnt get away from potential problems, just have warranty) theres always an element of risk. I now intend to service it properly to reduce that risk since last week anyway...

mitSUBishi-guy said:

Really?

Are you saying the Auto GTs in the BP models are better acceleration?

Really?

Are you saying the Auto GTs in the BP models are better acceleration?

No just that driving the auto GT doesn't feel as laggy as the manual. Well our manual at least. And I just drove an auto yesterday so is pretty fresh in my memory.

By better acceleration do you mean quicker accelerating than a manual? From a pure factory numbers perspective the manual is probably quoted as being quicker. But correct me if I'm wrong, the autos put out slightly less power anyway?

In terms of acceleration times an auto provides more consistency whereas a manual is subject to many more variables, and the biggest variable is the driver.

Subaru hasn't yet introduced a clutchless manual gearbox (i.e. DSG style gearbox) but when they do, acceleration times will likely be the same or better than a manual. So best of both worlds - auto convenience with direct super fast gearchanges, and no more bunnyhops at the lights.