Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil _ Lubrificant

victorjf

Koom,,bobistheoilguy is a great read.second time i have read it.

Came across this in motor oil 108.Chapter 8.

"Water/coolent warms up in just afew minutes but oils take up to 30 minutes to get to just their operating temperature of 200 degrees F."

Koom said:

Have a read of some websites that tell you about how oils are actually rated. Bobistheoilguy might help, Wikipedia also. It may feel runnier but your fingers aren't really SAE calibrated to rate oil viscosity now are they :P

Some of these wallies drive ya Nuts!!....So now they may under stand viscosity...........Then their is lubrication factor SG,SE,SF,SL,SM.........I use always SL as a minimum...........Then we have detergent factor.CE,CF....All need to be considered and matched to application..............15/40 or 20/40 SL CE.....Good for 5000k And before some smart ass comes back at me!!!.......Do ya research....I have..Looks like this KOOM chap has too!

BTW. Oil does not get thicker as its heated. That would go against the laws of physics. The 2 ratings you see on bottles are not related that's what the w there for. The first number is cold or winter thickness. Lower is better for getting oil in places at startup. The second number is oil viscosity at around 120 degrees. The thicker usually means it can take more pressure before it breaks down. Synthetics have enabled scientists to make a oil that is semi thin when cold but still protects engines when hot. The thiner the engine the better fuel ecconomy and power you will get. Remmember your engine has clearance set for a certain weight of oil so unless you have rebuilt motor I would stick to manufacture reccomendations

Stick with a 10w40 full syn. The thinner oils tend to give blow by on start up. CF rated oils are the diesel rating like the SL SM ratings are for petrols. I run a 5w40 SM rated Caltex Havoline Full Syn. Changing every 3000kms. As work in a workshop everythings free xD

I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone, usually an auto mechanic, say that they wouldn't use a 5W-30 motor oil because it is, "Too thin." Then they may use a 10W-30 or SAE 30 motor oil. At engine operating temperatures these oils are the same. The only time the 5W-30 oil is "thin" is at cold start up conditions where you need it to be "thin."

CIutch Nade said:

Stick with a 10w40 full syn. The thinner oils tend to give blow by on start up. CF rated oils are the diesel rating like the SL SM ratings are for petrols. I run a 5w40 SM rated Caltex Havoline Full Syn. Changing every 3000kms. As work in a workshop everythings free xD

Careful now.!!!....................(S*) factors are for lubrication factor..Nothing to do with diesel or petrol!!

(C*) Factors are for detergent value!!

Diesel engine oil can be run in your petrol engine..HOWEVER you must understand what C factors mean to work out how long you should let it circulate around your mill before you change it...Research.luv it!

Good to see some understanding viscosity.....Last number hot number...VERY important!....(engineers design criteria area).....cold start......MMMMMMMM.............depends on what you have on the insides o the mill accompanied with the expected cold start temperature.....(customer/dealer issue).... AS does the hot number.

SOOOOOOOOO................. now its easy to work out A !!

Search API CF-4 Rated oil Or CH-4 Or CG-4 (CF-4/SL for diesel and petrol). Jus CF-4 is for diesel.. plus sheet who really cares . LOL he wants a 10w40 Syn. Done. Thats all he was asking

CIutch Nade said:

Search API CF-4 Rated oil Or CH-4 Or CG-4 (CF-4/SL for diesel and petrol). Jus CF-4 is for diesel.. plus sheet who really cares . LOL he wants a 10w40 Syn. Done. Thats all he was asking

LOL, Its all important from crank to spark plug. Sure can screw you around if you get into specs too much.

All interesting stuff though, and some what important this oil stuff. 15/40 SL CF all good, been running it for years in my work wagon.(original GT with those hyd lifters that go Clickty Clack),

Never have heard a click or a clack in 380,000km...Oil is changed at 5000k intervals with the filter The high detergent factor keeps it clean!!all good.

WRXONP said:

why so thin ? As far as i know a thin oil should be used on a fresh motor with close bearing tolerances . a old worn motor with larger tolerances should have thicker oil to compensate

Damn skippy .... at least thats what I heard as well

johnny5']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

why so thin ? As far as i know a thin oil should be used on a fresh motor with close bearing tolerances . a old worn motor with larger tolerances should have thicker oil to compensate

/quote]Damn skippy .... at least thats what I heard as well

would it really make all that much different? either way its gettin pumped round at the same pressure

DRPONU']

would it really make all that much different? either way its gettin pumped round at the same pressure

touche

johnny5']

touche

Not so. Same pressure but different viscosities means different flowrates of oil through the system. For example you could put treacle in there and the pump would relieve at around the same pressure. The amount actually flowing through the system is going to be sweet f all though.