Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil _ Lubrificant

victorjf

Hey guys, i have to change my oil, and i would like to know what best one to put in my car. Its is a subaru RS-B , big end done 65 km ago, but midle wasnot done. I was think 5W-30 or 10W40. What best one ?? and how many litres goes inside include new filter oil ??

Thanks

Victor

pappu said:

i have had bad experience with over filling in the past..

i always fill 4 liters and change ~3000ks..

10w40 magnetek

thats the one i have been using for a very long time

Now that's how to treat your engine! :-*! nice clean oil always....just enough to lubricate,not too much so it blows through the breathers...Top Knotch.

20/40? just i wee bit thicker less blow through..more protection!! but might add 0.10 to your quarter run!. Keep on subaruing!! :)

soopersubaru']

[quote name='pappu said:

10w40 magnetek

/quote]

Now that's how to treat your engine! :-*! nice clean oil always....just enough to lubricate,not too much so it blows through the breathers...Top Knotch.

20/40? just i wee bit thicker less blow through..more protection!! but might add 0.10 to your quarter run!. Keep on subaruing!! :)

20w40 u reakon is better?

lol the time i overfilled it wwas spewing thru the breathers and all.. lol thought i had killed the engine..

4l is under fill man . it take 4.5 to fill. you must have really really over filled it eh ? i all ways do every 3k and all ways do 5 litres so 500ml over fill which goes to the notch above the fill hole on the stick. allot of subaru owners over fill by 0.5litre to help prevent the oil pick up picking up air during high g cornering . . under filling is a sure easy way to run the big end . . . . and 10w40 will make more power than 20w40. i use synthetic oil with anti foaming agents and high heat capabilities to stop it breaking down . . .

hahah street car here bro.. no high connering possible on the streets currently...

i guess when go to the tracks next will overfill to 4.5-5 lts (i have heard that overfilling also caises the oil pickup to become less effective??? - dunno as never tested that lol)

hmm i cant remember how much i overfilled - was 5 years ago that lol

there is no problem with over filling . . . unless you over fill a few litres that the crank slaps the oil level . .. or is even higher and pisses out the seals . . . . . . thought your motto was better safe then sorry ?

pappu']

[quote name='pappu said:

10w40 magnetek

/quote]

20w40 u reakon is better?

lol the time i overfilled it wwas spewing thru the breathers and all.. lol thought i had killed the engine..

Done that myself..Overfill..Have my breathers going down the exhaust in lieu of a catch can....SMOKE!!! like you never seen!!! not even the car 2 metres behind me was visible........Hell of a fright....Thought it was the turbo. Was boosting pretty hard up the passing lane at the time.

Have now found that about 4mm below the full mark when engine cold stops this blow out the breathers on 20/40 (still uses about 150-200ml per 5000K)

Ran car in on 10 weight oil (10/40)

but with forged internals i was getting through too much oil (10/40) at the lower weight.( 500ml per 5000K)

Crank pick up does not occur in the subaru, However because 20/40 oil is "thicker" it will slow down the run up of the engine......0.10 or 0.20.added to your quarter mile time!

Very important if you are racing!! difference of the smallest of seconds will win or lose your race.

So what is important to you? Quick times and to hell with engine life so long as you win?

OR prolong the engine life by using a higher weight of oil!??

As i paid 20k for mine, i run the heavy stuff.

soopersubaru said:

Ran car in on 10 weight oil (10/40)

but with forged internals i was getting through too much oil (10/40) at the lower weight.( 500ml per 5000K)

Crank pick up does not occur in the subaru, However because 20/40 oil is "thicker" it will slow down the run up of the engine......0.10 or 0.20.added to your quarter mile time!

As i paid 20k for mine, i run the heavy stuff.

You know that once up to operating temperature, the 10w40 and 20w40 is essentially the same viscosity right?

The number with the "w" after it is the cold viscosity i.e. "winter" weight or startup viscosity.

The 2nd number is the viscosity at operating temperature.

Some oils it's not the best having a bigger difference between the two numbers due to the amount of chemitrickery that has to go on to achieve the different hot and cold viscosity's. But in general you can take the first number as the thickness when first starting the engine on a cold morning, and the second as the thickness in general. i.e. if you moved from Auckland to ChCh, some would say there could be a benefit in switching from 15w40 to 10w40 or even 5w40 due to more below zero temps for initial engine startup.

wow.just wow ::). if your car is stock I suggest you completely ignore everyone an put in 4.5 as recommended by the manufacturer. as long as its not super thick oil an is of the synthetic nature it shouldn't matter to much what oil you use.Be sure to change it every 5000kms.

as for my "IMO" statement, if you do hard cornering an high reving in your car id just say firstly stop doing that. an secondly get some protection for your car like a baffled sump, might cost you abit now but you can keep that part forever an its likely gona save you 4k when the engine goes boom from messing with oil settings an doing hard cornering an high reving

At the end of the day treat yor car nice an it will do the same back to you.treat it like shit tamper with the settings an do some racing its probably not gona last.

WRXONP said:

so a higher number is thinner ? pretty sure that's wrong cos then dif oil would be like water yet its thicker than engine oil ? can some one fill the void here ?

No. A higher number is thicker!

The multigrade oils are designed to start off thin (i.e. viscosity of 10) and then become thicker as they reach operating temp (i.e. viscosity of 40).

Have a read of some websites that tell you about how oils are actually rated. Bobistheoilguy might help, Wikipedia also. It may feel runnier but your fingers aren't really SAE calibrated to rate oil viscosity now are they :P

slystiguy said:

wow.just wow ::). if your car is stock I suggest you completely ignore everyone an put in 4.5 as recommended by the manufacturer. as long as its not super thick oil an is of the synthetic nature it shouldn't matter to much what oil you use.Be sure to change it every 5000kms.

At the end of the day treat yor car nice an it will do the same back to you.treat it like s*** tamper with the settings an do some racing its probably not gona last.

+1 i run magnatec 10/40 and all good

oh lol learn some thing new every day here . . . it just looks and flows a whole lot runnier that's all . . . . i was all ways under the impression you heat the engine before oil change to thin the oil ? so essentially your thickening it by heating it ? sorry for the questions i have limited access to search internet

WRXONP said:

oh lol learn some thing new every day here . . . it just looks and flows a whole lot runnier that's all . . . . i was all ways under the impression you heat the engine before oil change to thin the oil ? so essentially your thickening it by heating it ? sorry for the questions i have limited access to search internet

I think the nature of oil is that whe it's hot, it flows a lot better whilst being thicker. Also since could be because of the pressure too