Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Is it normal.....

off2harrys

I would have to +1 what your mechanic said,most likely condensation, forms if the car is being used on short journeys and not being hot enough for long enough for it to evaporate...

Also could be as mentioned an early sign of headgasket failure BUT I have never seen nor heard of a Subaru's headgasket failing into the oil galleries...

DRFVDR said:

I would have to +1 what your mechanic said,most likely condensation, forms if the car is being used on short journeys and not being hot enough for long enough for it to evaporate...

Also could be as mentioned an early sign of headgasket failure BUT I have never seen nor heard of a Subaru's headgasket failing into the oil galleries...

True for EJ series. Have seen the old EA series full of the grey/white mix in the sump! the frost plugs in the head gets a hole in it...then the whole of the cooling system goes into the sump! and you don't even see it when you top up on the side of the road after a overheat!

Usually because the owner has water in the radiator and not coolant!

my car was sitting for a week and i saw some white solid stuff on the dip stick

the mechanic said could be condensation etc

usually HG failure will also bring other indicators ...

i will get a TK test done anyway just so im satisfied (not saying he was wrong but just for my satisfaction lol)

funkytown said:

i had that gunk in the top of the filller cap.. a reasonable amount as well, car had been sitting. tis all good, never tested it, makes 295wkw and gets beaten at the track on 25psi.. no issues.

its the driver talent ;)

mechanic said if u warm up car and the have radiator filler cap off and rev the car - and water shoots up then compression is leaking into the water - that true?

sounds abt right theory...

yup thats a good test :) if it hits the bonnet then it really really screwed :)

was at an incident on Friday night, guy pulls over in his T T Legacy and asked if i knew anything about subarus,I of course said a wee bit :) he took his radiator cap of and all i heard was chuff chuff chuff from leaking combustion,I said"Yup shes fucked mate, I will give u $500 for it" he was not impressed :) heheheh

B_Man']

[quote name='pappu said:

whats the cost of tk tests generally?

ps - how accurate are tk tests anyway?

/quote]

I have done TK tests and have come back with negative results, Stripped motor down and had a blown head gasket.

dammmm!!!

whats the point of a tk test then anyway :o

needs to be alot of Exh gas to show positive test on Tk

So much infact that pretty much any joe punter could tell it was screwed already

Waste of time, I do not bother wasting my time with TK tests

off2harrys said:

Sweet doesnt sound too bad then,cars lucky to get driven 40k a week,doesnt even get warm driving to work.hurry up ski fields open so i have a excuse to have a decent drive

yeah it sounds totally like a good candidate for condensation build up...

take it for a long hard drive and then have a look :)

google or youtube champagne test, you stick a funnel tight in the radiator cap, fill it with water/coolant, and if continuous bubbles comeout like a fizzy drink, your headgasket would be leaking exhaust gases in to the cooling system, ie headgasket buggered.

I do a similiar trick but i use a powerade bottle :) as it is clear it real easy to see the bubbles :) have actually seen them full of smoke, was a sure sign that the head was toast,the gasket was brand new and the head had been "repaired", this was the last time i had a Toyota 1KZTE head repaired, I just replace them now,quicker/easier/Better than doing the job 3 times