Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Whats the best alarm ?

Well i think its about time to get an alarm ::) Willing to pay top dollar for a real decent set-up, ive had a look around and it seems either Mongoose or AVS are the ones to go for. Ive also heard of alarms that txt you if your car is being broken into. Anyone clear this up for me and the name of brand that does this ? I think its AVS but is there any others ? I want total protection of my subbie !!!

Thanks, Marsh.

• General Member

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

AVS are a club sponsor so have to go with them :P (discounts to ClubSUB paid members)

and a few independent reviews would hopefully sway the same way!

every so often they do giveaway's too!

http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/blog/

This is an awesome blog posted by an alarm installer based in wellington.

Really sheds light on mongoose alarms and the very broken star system used by the nzsa.

Well worth the read and i recommend for anyone thinking of buying a new alarm.

I can say for sure that i will be paying him a visit next time i am in need of an alarm.

The AVS S5 seems to be the common choice of alarm, AVS used to do the 9000 which had the GPS tracking integrated but that is now a discontinued model.

You can always get a aftermarket add-on GPS tracker, snitch or blackhawk come to mind. They txt you when alarm triggers, and you can track the vehicle. Having it separate from the alarm system and well hidden means you can still track vehicle if main alarm becomes disabled.

LatitudeNZ said:

Really sheds light on mongoose alarms and the very broken star system used by the nzsa.

+1

I quite enjoy the blogs

LatitudeNZ said:

I can say for sure that i will be paying him a visit next time i am in need of an alarm.

I recomend this guy. Very professional. Installed an Autowatch LRi for me, $700.

AVS S5 here

Brad is good to deal with + a club sponsor. This means discounts...

Have had other brands and never been able ot contact the dealer/importers give me back up info when needed.

Brad (From AVS) yesterday/today gave me some info to fix something!

Nuff said

AVS uses Snitch as their GPS tracking module, so definitely a good top-dollar option. They are certainly a favourite among the club regulars due to their excellent after sales support and service, which is worth a lot in itself!

Otherwise an AVS w/ GSM Communicator is probably a cheaper option, offering a lot of the same details.

• Admin

Autowatch and Cobra make most of the 'traditional' alarms (Mongoose M60/M80 and umm, fill in the blanks...) look pretty arse.

But it all comes down to the installer. My old alarm (which the previous owner had installed) was a '5 star' but the brain was tucked up on top of the steering column, loom was looped around in the same area, and the bloody drivers door switch wasn't connected. It had glass break sensors which are a complete waste of time on a Subaru. A $200 chinese single immobiliser alarm, installed extremely well, will protect your car better than a badly installed '5 star'.

In Wellington, I would say that vehiclesecurity guy definitely knows his stuff, and I get all my alarms done at SLAP, who do a damn good job IMO (watched both my alarms being installed and I know they go the extra yard)