Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI running 1.5bar *help*

Dangeruss

Im a total n00b to turbos and recently bought a v7 sti(its awesome!!) after driving hondas for the past 10 years and need some advice. At the moment its running at 1.5bar of boost, just wondering is this safe as I thought standard was about 1bar? It has a defi-link control unit with boost gauge and the past owner told me it adjusted the boost but have recently found out it only sets a warning light on the gauge. If I'm running at 1.5bar does it mean there is someway to adjust the boost back? any help would be appreciated, cheers

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be pretty safe, these engines are a fair bit stronger than your old GC/GF engines.

The cheapest way is to install a boost tap - a GFB would be my brand of choice.

The best way is to install an electronic boost controller, but these are $$. Over $500 for a good one.

1.5 bar is 22psi. Bit much boost if you ask me even spiking that on a stock v7 STI isant a good idea (not wow guna pop in 2 secs flat but sure wont be the best for it). 1.1-1.3 bar max is about what it should run up in the revs.

Dangeruss is yours spiking 1.5 or running a solid 1.5 bar towards redline?? Id go with the GFB tap idea and try set a solid 1.2 bar and therefor will prol spike to around 1.3-1.35 in 4/5/6th at low revs high load which is ok.

as mentioned above 1.5 bar spike wont kill your car....wel lnstantly anyway, maby over time but id still get it looked at/sorted. What ive said is assuming your car is stock or close to.. no remap,Fuel pump etc

Ninja 8)']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

have had two (V7 and a V8) do this in the last two weeks

b]many differnt things can cause this[/b] - where are you located?

this is going to be interesting...

lol i know right, i love watching this guy. He be smart man indeed, im watching it only so i can see replys

Located on The North Shore...boost seems kinda all over the place, 1st and 2nd gear its at about 1bar then 3rd 1.3 and 4th, 5th and 6th is at 1.5bar. maybe this is normal? Just took her out for a short blat to see and hit a possom which cracked my front lip, gutted!!

Coupe said:

lol mine was one of these cars, but all sorted now, i put it down to the position of the moon

Special gravatational pull eh? if i can spell. make water move fast , makes chch shake. y not increase boost. fair call

CIutch Nade']

[quote name='Coupe said:

lol mine was one of these cars, but all sorted now, i put it down to the position of the moon

/quote]

Special gravatational pull eh? if i can spell. make water move fast , makes chch shake. y not increase boost. fair call

+1 sounds like a perfect scientific explanation to me :D :D :D

Dangeruss said:

Located on The North Shore...boost seems kinda all over the place, 1st and 2nd gear its at about 1bar then 3rd 1.3 and 4th, 5th and 6th is at 1.5bar. maybe this is normal? Just took her out for a short blat to see and hit a possom which cracked my front lip, gutted!!

Firstly..as marc stated..does the car have any modifications? mine would spike but only to 1.3 and DIE down as it hits higher revs.

Ninja 8)']

[quote name='Dangeruss said:

Located on The North Shore...b]boost seems kinda all over the place, 1st and 2nd gear its at about 1bar then 3rd 1.3 and 4th, 5th and 6th is at 1.5bar.[/b] maybe this is normal? Just took her out for a short blat to see and hit a possom which cracked my front lip, gutted!!

Firstly..as marc stated..does the car have any modifications? mine would spike but only to 1.3 and DIE down as it hits higher revs.

no major mods, just exhaust and hks blow off from what i can tell. next time im driving i'll watch to see if it dies down in the higher rev range

Never had it get that high in 5th gear but from all the version 7 s I hav been in it's not out of the ordinary ask pappu dudes owned like 9 of em maybe more .as I said mine peaks at 21 and a bit no harm done no mods besides full 3 inch power making wise anyways but even before I did a full exhaust change it was still the same

main things to check on std engine with std exhaust and std boost control from engien ECU set up

hose from compressor housing to actuator- is clean (NO OIL OR REDIDUE) and is fitted with restrictor "pill"

Wastegate actuator - is able to hold 7.35psi (0 .5bar) with no leak down, and it also opens the wastegate at this pressure

Wastegate - operation of actuator rod is free without any tight spots

hose from comp housing /actuator "T" join to the side port of the solenoid is clean ( NO OIL or RESIDUE )

Solenoid has a resistance of approx 30 ohms

If all these are fine then you must open up the restrictor to lower the boost

To open this up in size you need to drill it out with a set of NUMBER DRILLS - std drill bits are useless for this job

measure the restrictor and it should be 0.9mm , you need to open this up by 0.05mm increaments - and reboost check on 4th and 5th

(sometimes you'll fix the issue at 0.95mm - sometimes I have gone as far as 1.20mm)

Note, if you go too far then you'll need to solder the restrictor up and start again with a blank restrictor / or use another one

aim for a target of 1.2bar spike and holding a contsant 1.0 to 1.1bar - this is safe

If all else fails then wait till the next lunar eclipse and increase the voltage to the flux capacitor

NOTE all of the above is done at your own risk - esp increasing flux capacitor voltage

If u have exhaust then it will spike as seen by most v7 owners

Another thing that I Wana throw in here is that if ur going by the gauge then what if the gauge is inaccurate. There is even a thread here To discuss it can be inaccurate on top end. I personally don't have a DEFI gauge as I use my laptop to read off the Ecu but do a quick research on Its accuracy

What if that is the issue and in da fact maybe u boosting bit less eh

• 1 month later...

I had my V7 Rex at 15-16 PSI and it was pretty consistent through the gears from what I can remember... it was on 17" with xxx/35's on it... (smaller diameter than standard) damn it felt like it pulled really hard!!

I have my V7 STI with full exhaust, hitting about 1.3 bar (1st & 2nd gear), gets to 1.5 bar by 4th (haven't really floored it in 5th)... of course the greedy gauge starts redlining at 1.5

Although it's on 19" xxx/35's, might have to get some 17's for it and see what it's like.

Scoobydoo said:

It should be pretty safe, these engines are a fair bit stronger than your old GC/GF engines.

The best way is to install an electronic boost controller, but these are $$. Over $500 for a good one.

really?any proof of that.

• Admin
 sti8u']

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

/quote]

really?any proof of that.

Proof of what?

That they're stronger? They're forged from the factory, of course they're stronger.

fully forged?or semi forged?

iduno.seems like alot of the new v7 + seem to blow bearings just as much as the gf/gc's ever did.iv meet countless amount of people with v7 that have been rebuilt before 100thou ks.

sti8u said:

fully forged?or semi forged?

iduno.seems like alot of the new v7 + seem to blow bearings just as much as the gf/gc's ever did.iv meet countless amount of people with v7 that have been rebuilt before 100thou ks.

The bearings are just as suceptible to failures in oiling, but the pistons etc are stronger