Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI running 1.5bar *help*

Dangeruss

pappu said:

Another thing that I Wana throw in here is that if ur going by the gauge then what if the gauge is inaccurate. There is even a thread here To discuss it can be inaccurate on top end. I personally don't have a DEFI gauge as I use my laptop to read off the Ecu but do a quick research on Its accuracy

Mine reads a bit higher than actual boost, Defi BF, i think it reads bout .15-.2 bar higher.

Is there a way to calibrate it????

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MercuryFree']

[quote name='sti8u said:

fully forged?or semi forged?

iduno.seems like alot of the new v7 + seem to blow bearings just as much as the gf/gc's ever did.iv meet countless amount of people with v7 that have been rebuilt before 100thou ks.

/quote]

The bearings are just as suceptible to failures in oiling, but the pistons etc are stronger

I havent heard of many failures in V7s infact none at all and if they did fail probably due to shite maintenance

Stoffa said:

my block came from a version 7 sti running 1.5 bar, it detonated and twisted a piston and scuffed the bore, poked!!

Dammm sounds like it had some major knock issues

V7 Sti blocks take a log of abuse as long as it's well maintained Nd of course tuned to run that

One of Teznu mates doing 270kw on stock block and for an year I think

I know 2 mates running 240kw for over an year in stock shortblock

Heck there is even a 10sec street legal suby running stock shortblock

chappell943 said:

found this link which is supposedly stock v7 sti boost curve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/airboy123/5452414755/

If you believe that map then you'll believe ANYTHING

1.5bar is NOT factory spec

1.3 is spec, and I have seen a few spike up at 1.5 and then settle at 1.3 which is usually a tight gate or solenoid issue

Also seen a few that had major problems that were running 1.5 (all stock)

Just because its running 1.5 and not giving an issue this doesnt make it right

My old v7 sti ecu was reflashed to 1.5 bar, I got a ebc and held boost pretty good, I reckon just get a remap done and you ecu and enjoy more gains in power and more reliability. I got 207 kw at the wheels on a very safe tune for $ 400 dollars off a road tune from Phil of flashtune, people like Pappu can tune it for you to bro, hope that helps.

ROYALS STI said:

My old v7 sti ecu was reflashed to 1.5 bar, I got a ebc and held boost pretty good, I reckon just get a remap done and you ecu and enjoy more gains in power and more reliability. I got 207 kw at the wheels on a very safe tune for $ 400 dollars off a road tune from Phil of flashtune, people like Pappu can tune it for you to bro, hope that helps.

difference being the timing and fueling are adjusted to suit running that much boost, factory setup starts leaning out with that much boost

My brothers v7sti runs a stock ecu

It hits 1.52 bar

On a recent Clubsub dynoday it ran 11.2 pretty much afr and there was no knock registered on the ecu

Basically what I'm saying is that even at that boost level the stock ecu is runnin things rather rich and not knocking

In fact even my one when was stock ecu was doing abt the same (as other v7s I have seen)

They won't blow up on stock map and ecu setup as long as u use 98gas and just Let the ecu Do it's things

I'm not sure on stock map sensor limit but think it's abt 25psi based on what I was told by some other tuners

For retune I stay abt the same boost levels but thru afr and timing smoothing u get abt 30-40kw on them

lol i think what there sayin is that,mayb all the turbo unit and ecu and boost controll can mayb hold 1.5 bar without issues

but it could be another story thats going on inside your block.

just because your turbo unit ecu and boost controll can hold 1.5 or peaks at that doesnt mean the block will.it may but for how long thats up to you.

eveuntually thing will get worn and then will be due for a new set or pistons,rods,bearings.

i run my car on 8psi everyday and thats plenty for street use,but if i feel the need on dyno days my car will be happy to see 18psi without a issues.

my point is.1.5bar all day everyday isnt good.

lol dont you think 20-22psi is high for a car will a stock motor stock injecters and fuel pump?mayb it would be fine after supporting mods.i.e fuel pump and a retune.but defintly cant be good for the motor.

lol and thats exactly why they only last 100tho ks before they need a rebuild

any body with half a brain would know its too much boost.mayb the engine can handle it yes.but for how long?

its all a money sceem buy subaru.they build the motors strong.yes,but 20psi for 80 00ks isnt guna last!

but yeh its allgod crank it up to 25psi just cause you can.

may aswell start saving for your rebuild now.

sti8u said:

lol dont you think 20-22psi is high for a car will a stock motor stock injecters and fuel pump?mayb it would be fine after supporting mods.i.e fuel pump and a retune.but defintly cant be good for the motor.

just that a LOT of v7s run that and have been fine

the v7sti motor is pretty good

the longest i have known is my mate colin who has had hios v7 sti for abt 5 years now and was running 21psi peak from the time he bought it and has still got it to this day

he is a member here so will leave it to him to post if feels compelled..

anyway, its just a peak number and it drops very fast to lower levels

if it was gc8 then i wud worry a bit more..

also the pinks are well above the supply needs and so is the pumps on them...

also, have seen the ra models have a slightly higher boost

personally seen 22.5 everytime in a mates sti ra all the time

was stock ecu so nothing was fiddles with that respect

my own ra used to hit almost 23 and then fall

all my sti v7 have mostly been hitting 21-23 anywhere in between

lots other ppl have this same boost details where it hits high values and then drop and none have had issues

the stock mapping does seem to cope with the spike quiet well and adjusts timing as needed

sti8u said:

lol and thats exactly why they only last 100tho ks before they need a rebuild

any body with half a brain would know its too much boost.mayb the engine can handle it yes.but for how long?

its all a money sceem buy subaru.they build the motors strong.yes,but 20psi for 80 00ks isnt guna last!

but yeh its allgod crank it up to 25psi just cause you can.

may aswell start saving for your rebuild now.

maybe u know only the bad drivers who have blown their v7stiz either due to lack of mainanance or half wit driving

my brothers one is on 180km and still going strong -

know many many many others who are in the 130+ mark no rebuild

do u personally know anyone who has had to rebuild his v7sti motor before 100k?

or just read it online?

there wud be a lot of v7 owners here in the club who wud have 100k+ rides and not rebuilt

i know 3 people with v7's

one had about 80 thou on it before it needed a rebuild,no mods at all.no pod filter or atmo blow of valve.block was warpd aswell

the 2 other ones were just before 100thou ks.both ran big end bearings due to the boost leavel being to high.also pbms had a few in there when my engine was getting rebuild.they also had low ks and had bearings faluires aswell.like i said pappu they are good strong motor's but eventually they wont be.

i can garentee that if the subaru v7 was set on 10psi for its whole life.it would last 500 00ks easy.

but seeing 21-23 psi everyday isnt good and cant be.

why do you think i run mine on 8?theres no need for such high boost levels intill you actauuly need it,

iand i can garrentee my engine will last longer that 110thou that it did.iv already clocked up 16thou on it.

im not arguing with you pappu,just agreeing to disagree. ;)

sti8u said:

Lets not forget that the stock pink injectors are over 500cc so can fuel quite farkin well.

Mine used to peak high as well, esp after ECU reset.

It's just one of those things, I guess.

warped block is more than a sign of overboost...

overheating etc other major factors come in play here..

so the 3 u know all had blown engine.. damm.. what ar the chances of that.. and they were all bone stock?

and the other 2 had blown big ends exclusively due to stock boost being too high?

they were well maintained and not driven with non mechanical sympathy...?

big ends on these dont fail with 21psi .. it may happen if ur unlucky but highly doubt that it wud be the main and only cause of it..

u sure all 3 were bone stock??

and km really dont mean much except resale value

i have had v7sti ranging from 74k to 165k and not always lowerest km means the best car..

in fact the best one was a 130km car fwiw

anyway, im sure ur missing some info as to why they blew cos on stock v7sti and blowing big end is either bad luck or ill maintanance/bad driving

under normal circumstance i find it hard to see the engines just dying like that ( wiat unless the bad luck clause)