Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

A couple of pic's of the coupe and engine update

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was breathing heavily out the oil breathers, rick suspected it needed rings or internal work to which he found..

Ichi Ban said:

quick update, engine is out and stripped now

a couple of issues found which have been stealing some Kw's

things like - an out of round bore (x2), a headgasket that was leaking

Most alarming tho was the cracked crankshaft ! and an extremley worn small end bush on one of the rods

Big ends and mains are like new, so proof the oiling system modifications work

New parts being machining or purchased atm, inc a replacement block, clutch upgrade, balancing, revised deck heights for the pistons too, now sitting 0.016' above the deck. Heads being refurbed and set up again

And lots of new goodies from Rocket Ind, Rally sport direct , Cometic, Aerosport, and Brian Crower motorsports are on the way

Coupe should be back on the road in 2-3 weeks - Cant wait :)

so he was quite lucky :) or a very good mechanic to know something was amiss... ;) you decide which

sti8u said:

so is the motor blown?

or you just striped it for the fun of it?lol

Nope no blown motor - Just knew that the crankcase breathing was getting excessive and stripped it down BEFORE any issues from this became more serious

This engine had just clocked up 18,000km on it, a very very hard 18,000km - most of it brutal track work

So overall very happy with lifespan of the engine and repairs needed now

Things dont last forever

so maybe you pushed the open deck block too far??!! or maybe it was just the 2 bar of boost.

What do you think caused wear on the small end?

Cracked crank shaft....maybe from running alloy pulley without dampening? too much torsional twisting and reverberating up and down the crank without being dampened down?? A theory I read about on the net so it must be true.

Stoffa said:

so maybe you pushed the open deck block too far??!! or maybe it was just the 2 bar of boost.

Cracked crank shaft....maybe from running alloy pulley without dampening? too much torsional twisting and reverberating up and down the crank without being dampened down?? A theory I read about on the net so it must be true.

Yeah maybe a little to far for open deck, but have also found that the engine when it was last machined (reconditioner un-named) went 0.0015" too big in the bores than I had requested

So the engine was running 0.005" piston / bore and I had spec'd 0.0035 - so that explains the blow by once the rings aged a little

Small end issue is/was a fitment issue from factory with the aftermarket rods -

As for the crank, too be honest it want crack tested after the crash (for those of you who dont know - 3 yrs ago a teenage hit a lamp post head on and snapped it off, leaving 1m still in the ground !) so it may? of been from that. Harmonics could also be a cause - but the crack is in a strange place (in the web of the counter weight)

PS anything read on the net is TRUE

check these bad boys out - arrival expected in two weeks :)http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Brian-Crower-Adjustable-Cam-Gears-Subaru-WRX-2002-2005-STI-2004-2007

ItsTheRS said:

Amazing dude, looks like very extensive mods you have done to the engine and alot of time and thinking gone into it. Im a fan ! 8) Is this your daily ride or just strictly track work ?

Cheers, the coupe can be daily driven, and is very streetable (exterior looks completely stock),and its road legal

It will be seeing plenty of track action over the comong months (manfeild and taupo are the plans atm) and maybe a street sprint or two

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

/quote]

Yeah maybe a little to far for open deck, but have also found that the engine when it was last machined (reconditioner un-named) went 0.0015" too big in the bores than I had requested

So the engine was running 0.005" piston / bore and I had spec'd 0.0035 - so that explains the blow by once the rings aged a little

Small end issue is/was a fitment issue from factory with the aftermarket rods -

As for the crank, too be honest it want crack tested after the crash (for those of you who dont know - 3 yrs ago a teenage hit a lamp post head on and snapped it off, leaving 1m still in the ground !) so it may? of been from that. Harmonics could also be a cause - but the crack is in a strange place (in the web of the counter weight)

PS anything read on the net is TRUE

check these bad boys out - arrival expected in two weeks :)http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Brian-Crower-Adjustable-Cam-Gears-Subaru-WRX-2002-2005-STI-2004-2007

Pffff who needs counter weights. Machine them off for a super duper light weight crank.

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='ItsTheRS said:

Amazing dude, looks like very extensive mods you have done to the engine and alot of time and thinking gone into it. Im a fan ! 8) Is this your daily ride or just strictly track work ?

/quote]

Cheers, the coupe can be daily driven, and is very streetable (exterior looks completely stock),and its road legal

It will be seeing plenty of track action over the comong months (manfeild and taupo are the plans atm) and maybe a street sprint or two

What events are you likely to do? Road & Track, playday etc?

undecided, and prob need to join a car club so i can get more serious than the playdays

Who is would be my bets person to contact re, join a car club / road and track series (for next year)

buffed all the external engine bolts today

Then tomorrow they are taking a trip to Aucks to get gold zinc'd again

The aftermarket conrods are sorted and will be 1000% better than what they were new

Crank,rods,pistons,flwheel,clutch cover and front pulley have been balanced now

Heads are ready to go and the engine case's are being decked to suit the new cometic headgaskets as I type this

Should have the main components back by Tues, then its just a wait for the rings and cam gears