Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Not able to select gears at all!!

Hi all, I have a 99 rsk b4, twin turbo manual with 160000km on it. I drove to Rotorua this morning from Hamilton and parked up at my parents place then a couple of hours later went to park the car in the shed and could'nt select any gears at all, even when the box is in netural the gear lever struggles to move side to side. The car had a minor problem of sometimes popping out of 5th but very rarely. Have just done a gearbox oil change using castrol 75-90 and had driven car for around 100km before this morning, but running or not car just wont engage any gear, feels like every gate is blocked, any one have any ideas before I tear the gbox out?? ???

Big nut on the end of the gear(?) hub coming loose

happened in mine (popping out of 5th, then left it and it got worst & worn(f***ed) 5th sycro and couldn't changed between forward gears to reverse and vise verser, sometimes jamming up completely like yours)

trick that worked for me, just getting it moving again: engine running, try putting into a gear (5th was easiest for me) with no clutch then when it starts to go in/grind put the clutch in quickly... and then all forwards gears would work. i had to be rough too...

or to fix pull off center housing and tighten nut up, that's if you caught it in time and haven't f***ed other things like i did

Edit: reading yours again, mine was popping out of 5th every time i let off the gas. yours may have this issue (which is minor at the moment) as well as something else

slystiguy said:

hope you know about "that difficult bolt thing" which is under the the starter motor

my memory fails me but others will chirp in the details

clutch fork pin?

doesn't sound like a clutch problem, as he is having trouble moving the gearlever itself

i've only experienced this problem after shredding a gear and a tooth got wedged against the case and a selector fork rod.. unlikely though. you would have gear noise at idle in neutral

if its the mainshaft nut then you can get to this by removing the transfer case, and leave the box in

What does the car do with the pedal clutch out? if it tries to move , then its stuck in a gear (not the one the gearlever is in either !!)

You only need to remove the transfer case to fix fault as well, this not the whole box

If you have half dropped the box out, leave as is just in case it does need to come out & it mite make it easier to access some of those f#%ken pins too :P

Then take off the center diff housing/transfer case tighten up the nut and make sure you can select gears before putting it back together

Pedal in or out gearlever does nothing, barely moves side to side in netural position which is where it is stuck at the moment. When pushed over to 5th-reverse side of box it seems to "lock" in on that side, still in netural and takes a heavyish hand to move it back to the other side. Will get the center dff housing/transfer case off this morning and have a peek and see what is going on, hopefully it is just the mainshaft nut. Cheers all, will let you know how it goes.

spuddling aka IMPRZF said:

Pedal in or out gearlever does nothing, barely moves side to side in netural position which is where it is stuck at the moment. When pushed over to 5th-reverse side of box it seems to "lock" in on that side, still in netural and takes a heavyish hand to move it back to the other side. Will get the center dff housing/transfer case off this morning and have a peek and see what is going on, hopefully it is just the mainshaft nut. Cheers all, will let you know how it goes.

Also car does nothing at all so I presume its not stuck in gear, will hopefully know more by lunch time

Have removed the centre diff and had as much of a look as I can, the only nut I can see is the one where the centre diff would sit and block veiwing it so is this the main shaft nut?? It dosn't feel loose but hav'nt tried tightening it up yet, nothing else looks damaged and got no metal parts when I dumped the oil so am still a little stumped still..

its easy,

Just remove 5th gear shift fork roll pin and select 5th gear without moving the shift rods

then select another gear , and hey presto car jammed in two gears , and you can torque the nut up with out anything turning

once torqued up, select neutral again and fit 5th roll pin, make sure this is also back in neutral

yes they are interchangable thru most models of 5mt, what part do you need? there are 3 shift hubs

Can you PM me a pic of what you need - have most parts here