• Raised $0.00

spark plug gap size

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but actually does it idle fine cold?

mine would idle just like that hot but idle fine cold..was o2 sensor

the hunting occurs as the ecu tries to find a o2 signal.. after mine hunted for a little while it would stabilize and this was the ecu generating a fake o2 reading...

also this didnt throw a fault code on mine

HIGHLY doubt thats a blown head gasket lol stop trying to scare him

Blown headgasket is normally pressurising coolant and blowing coolant out the over flow or bubbling the water (boiling) .... or pressurising it so much u keep splitting rubber hoses

theres other ways to blow a headgasket but thats the main way they go on a suby which will notmally only occur after being cooked

one way to test afm is to unplug it while idling..all though its a dodge way of doing it its only telling u the ecu is getting a signal from the afm

the real way to test it is with a multimeter and to test the voltage readings via how much CFM is crossing the hot wire

im prety sure ive red on here a while back that u say ur car idles a bit wierd when in traffic ..as u call it "playing up"...and you thought it was something to do with your air filter LOL

sounds to me like your o2 is dead

you can test this but you need a multimeter

Agree it may not be a head gasket. It COULD be.(where is that steam/smoke from in first seconds of vid?)

Suggest compression test to check/valves and gasket.

Hearing the idle note...I now suggest removing and cleaning the ICU and the one way valve behind it.

As wrxonp also says O2 sensor could also be playing a part in this issue.

Check with multimeter as suggested.

External blowoff wont help computer cope either.

Is the waste gate also externalised?

If air and exhaust are not setup standard and the computer has not been altered to suit, this does cause many issues.

soopersubaru said:

Agree it may not be a head gasket. It COULD be.(where is that steam/smoke from in first seconds of vid?)

Hearing the idle note...I now suggest removing and cleaning the ICU and the one way valve behind it.

If air and exhaust are not setup standard and the computer has not been altered to suit, this does cause many issues.

LOL

do you know how a wastegate works? internal or external regardless

a wastegate will not effect the idle nor will it play anything on the ecu

BOV wont cause idling issues if it is indeed shut (if its leaking then yes it will cause issues)

as for the steam look at his engine.. the whole engine is wet..dont you think it could be water on the manifold LOL

compression test IS NOT the proper way to test for a headgasket leak or valves..you shoud do a cylinder leak down test to check this

WRXONP']

[quote name='soopersubaru said:

/quote]

LOL

BOV wont cause idling issues if it is indeed shut (if its leaking then yes it will cause issues)

as for the steam look at his engine.. the whole engine is wet..dont you think it could be water on the manifold LOL

compression test IS NOT the proper way to test for a headgasket leak or valves..you shoud do a cylinder leak down test to check this

Pull ya head in........Ever built a race engine? I know a lot more than you.(I've trained the likes of you)We have crossed before.Don't wind me up again.

Simple compression tests carried out correctly in a sequence will reveal all sorts of issues.

External blow off with the computer not set to cope DOES cause these idle issues in particular!!

Have just been advising this chap on what he can do to sort this issue.

Dont require your youngster smart A*** comments in an attempt to rubbish anything i come up with.

lol race engines !!!

this forum is full of big headed cunts like you

IS THIS A RACE ENGINE ??

NOPE

its on stock ecu and everything

so how does a external wastegate effect the ecu and or idle??

the bov can ONLY effect the idle if its leaking..pretty simple AYE if its not leaking then it wont be causing an issue and since he has ran it for ages with a bov without the issue it seems pointless aye

realistically you are sending him down the wrong track

soopersubaru']

[quote name='soopersubaru said:

/quote]

LOL

Pull ya head in........Ever built a race engine? I know a lot more than you.

golden clubsub moment right there

i diagnosed my headgasket from a compression test...... your looking for differences in cylinder compression .

if theres a sizable difference of over 5-10% or more then theres somthing going on.

to hard to tell whats wrong with his car tho over the internet.

about 4 years ago my bg5 wagon idled like that and it turned out it was a broken ring land that gradually got worse.

wrxonp dont bag everyone elses ideas where all trying to help and get a result dont need to be an ass or you can fuck off back to your sick nismo crew yo. :D

i have to LOL at that mate

subarus are far from a race engine.. proof - stick it on a race track - nunga nunga nunga goes the bearing or pop goes the head gasket

far FARR from a racing engine

you should know this mr race engine builder

you know this is a forum were people come to post up a problem with their car or a question and people help them to resolve the issue

its not the place to show off how big your head is and how small your wang is like you have demonstrated.. so realistaccly YOU pull your head in

changing the wastegate does not require a re tune on the ecu - learn how a wastegate operates and what it does before u post that crap

rex-leggy said:

i diagnosed my headgasket from a compression test...... your looking for differences in cylinder compression .

if theres a sizable difference of over 5-10% or more then theres somthing going on.

about 4 years ago my bg5 wagon idled like that and it turned out it was a broken ring land that gradually got worse.

wrxonp dont bag everyone elses ideas where all trying to help and get a result dont need to be an ass or you can f*** off back to your sick nismo crew yo. :D

being realistic i am only trying to help

and a sad compression test DOES NOT MEAN blowen head gasket.. it simply means the compression is low.. this could be a leaking valve. sad piston rings. broken ring lands the list goes on and on

any real mechanic knows a cylinder leak down test is what tells you FACTS

ie do a cylinder leakage test and its shows signs of leakage.. you can identify an exhaust valve leak by listening out the exhaust pipe. same as intake you will hear it out intake pipe.same as headgasket you will get pressure coming out of water galleries.. take oil cap off and you will have pressure coming out if its getting past the rings

all in all this is all IRELLIVANT as he has taken his car to a shop to get fixed !

A vacuum gauge will tell you even more than a leak down test.

As i said "a compression test(s) carried out in the correct sequence" will find everything a leakdown test will.

Engineers know this you lowly rated mechanic!

Tell Hayden Paddon subaru don't make race engines...(he cleaning up in a real race!!) Production class closely regulated to ensure the engine is production car standard, With antilag!!

Bet this guys issue can be traced back to tune not suitable for the blowoff at least.

Slight surge along with stall,, after revving that opens the blowoff and confuses the computer causing momentary lean out and stall.

cars is at a local clubs sponsers workshop.(highbrook automotive)

they will look at it today and let me know.

idont think its a headgasket,more of a leak some were i cant find,mayb closer on the intake side by the turbo

soopersubaru']

[quote name='rex-leggy said:

wrxonp dont bag everyone elses ideas where all trying to help and get a result dont need to be an ass or you can f*** off back to your sick nismo crew yo. :D

/quote]

being realistic i am only trying to help

and a sad compression test DOES NOT MEAN blowen head gasket.. it simply means the compression is low.. this could be a leaking valve. sad piston rings. broken ring lands the list goes on and on

any real mechanic knows a cylinder leak down test is what tells you FACTS

ie do a cylinder leakage test and its shows signs of leakage.. you can identify an exhaust valve leak by listening out the exhaust pipe. same as intake you will hear it out intake pipe.same as headgasket you will get pressure coming out of water galleries.. take oil cap off and you will have pressure coming out if its getting past the rings

all in all this is all IRELLIVANT as he has taken his car to a shop to get fixed !

A vacuum gauge will tell you even more than a leak down test.

As i said "a compression test(s) carried out in the correct sequence" will find everything a leakdown test will.

Engineers know this you lowly rated mechanic!

Tell Hayden Paddon subaru don't make race engines...(he cleaning up in a real race!!) Production class closely regulated to ensure the engine is production car standard, With antilag!!

Bet this guys issue can be traced back to tune not suitable for the blowoff at least.

Slight surge along with stall,, after revving that opens the blowoff and confuses the computer causing momentary lean out and stall.

the blow off vlave hasnt got much todo with it.its near new condition.

iv been running the external bov for awhile now and its been sweet.

its definlty missing underload but im not guna stress myself out bout it,its now at a trusyworthy workshop that will sus the problem easily,appreciate your input

well just picked up the car from highbroke automotive,

not too happy with what they did,

180$ for a decent set of plugs aparntly

top up oil and reset and scan car.

seems abit over the top,and my idel issue is still there now i have to take it back tomrow. >:(

yup aparntly they were black as already,also idel controll unit is playing up

the also told me the basics,having at external blow off valve and the podfilter is helping things out also

sti8u said:

well just picked up the car from highbroke automotive,

not too happy with what they did,

180$ for a decent set of plugs aparntly

top up oil and reset and scan car.

seems abit over the top,and my idel issue is still there now i have to take it back tomrow. >:(

As i said earlier..

I would not pay a cent for what hibrook did today!!!

Also I would not have charged you for diagnosis or changed the plugs.

Hope you have the ones they took out!!!.There will be nothing wrong with them!

Again MY ADVICE ONLY.(Despite WRXONP'S comments)...Return the car to original breathing and exhausting.BEFORE further damage occurs.

OR get it retuned to suit changes made (probably need to fit an after market computer that can be tweaked when/as required.

The reality is:-

Subaru and other modern engines of today's cars RACE Quality engines with requirements of fine and specific tuning.

ANY alterations to the intake,exhaust,fuelling MUST be retuned or damage will occur.

IT may take a while before you notice the engine is off song when bits are altered,added or changed......but by then............Damage is/has occurred.

external bov? you mean waste gate? unless the valve leaks it shouldn't be a problem(although its a completely pointless modification) and a pod filter shouldn't make much difference either although again a completely pointless modification.

I think you need to take your car to a club member not some mechanic whos gona charge you up an not fix the problem.

You've got to be careful with mechanics. they will always try to sell you something that you possibly don't need