Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

rwd gear box

SUBRMN

so ive read the above topic on rwd a 4wd box very easy to understand im gona try it out but just a few questions on the subject

am i able to fully remove front diff or is that a absolute nono?

and can i remove front axle stubs if i cant remove front diff without opening the box up to weld stub axle holes shut?

any help would be apreciated cheers

the way mines done avoids the cert issue sort of...... the crown wheel in the center diff is removed so no drive gets to the front diff , front axles can stay in and in a visual way it still looks 4wd .

the center diff is still welded.

dont know how it handles as im yet to drive it, some people say the way its been done is bad because the crown wheel plays a big part in the trans oil flow.

i dont think you have to weld the axle holes shut either.

rex-leggy said:

the way mines done avoids the cert issue sort of...... the crown wheel in the center diff is removed so no drive gets to the front diff , front axles can stay in and in a visual way it still looks 4wd .

dont know how it handles as im yet to drive it, some people say the way its been done is bad because the crown wheel plays a big part in the trans oil flow.

is that on your rs?

that will be wild if it is. ;D

I have the front diff removed, no driveshafts, and to block the holes where the axle stubs used to be I used brass frost plugs which you get from repco.

I reckon it looks factory like that, and thts how il be taking it for a wof, its had 2 previous wofs like that and not dodgey ones.

driftrex said:

Oh and in rwd form my car drives completely different, not in a bad way, just gotta change your driving style.

yeh no holding boost around corners ne mre.must be alot of fun tho!!

sti8u']

[quote name='rex-leggy said:

/quote]

is that on your rs?

that will be wild if it is. ;D

it sure is .... will deff be slippery :D

dont think it will stay that way its not really my style anymore.

need to find a dccd diff before it gets changed tho.

SUBRMN said:

thanks for that above is abit pricey for me wen i can do all work myself and yes i dont plan to go back to awd i have a spare awd box for that dont take long to change over

whats your reason for going rwd?

just for skids or is there a actaully point?

iv owned to a turbo rwd skyline and i pefur the 4wd alot better!

SUBRMN said:

thanks for that above is abit pricey for me wen i can do all work myself and yes i dont plan to go back to awd i have a spare awd box for that dont take long to change over

there is no problem with removing the crown wheel, leave pinion as is (Helps lubrication that is lost by removing crown) .As has been advised ,two frost plugs will blank off holes.

You should have a cert for this mod to be strictly legal.

Why peeps do this is still a mystery to me!! However each to their own too i say!

SUBRMN said:

thanks for the help every one will do the frost plug thing

bak to my most important question that im still unsure of that is am i able to fully remove front diff as it wont be in use any way thanks alot

Yes you can, my front diff is removed completely, left pinion as is. you will have to split the gearbox open of course.

I like to overfill my gearbox to be on the safe side though.

SUBRMN said:

thanks driftrex glad thats all cleared and thanks for the advice with the oil how much litres would you put in from empty cheers thanks again

Not sure exactly, just fill on dipstick then go another half a litre.

I think mine holds around 5litres at the moment, factory is 4litres, but u hav to fill the space the front diff used to occupy, then a bit more.