Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel pump help

rico

Hey,

So was driving from Dunedin to Nelson in my 97 bgg GTB legacy and after stopping in Kaikoura car would not start again. Got towed to garage where they diagnosed fuel pump as the problem.

Have been trying to find replacement but from Subaru, Repco Bnt etc looking at $400. Looked at Walbro ones on TM etc and can't understand why they so cheap? Is it because they are not a direct replacement and I would need to modify things to install one?

Please let me know if these walbro ones would be sweet, need to sort ASAP.

Cheers

walbro pumps are perfect. higher flow rate. cheeper because they arn't subaru genuine parts. they have a higher flow rate, but they are a little noisy. turn up the radio, you hardly notice it. but if you sit at traffic lights with a quiet exhaust and the radio turned off you can definately hear a faint whurring from the pump.

walbro is also one of the first performance upgrades a lot of people do, as a more reliable fuel supply.

the kit, if you get it from prowholesale, a clubsub sponser, they are a bit cheeper than trademe, genuine walbro, and include loom adapters so they bolt straight in. half hour job, tops.

or go for the sti one... lol. beat me to it.

NO BOS! said:

I hav a stock V7 STI fuel pump for sale.

Would be keen man but really need to buy off company so can pay with credit card and get it sent ASAP rather than waiting for internet banking to cear etc. I'll check out pro wholesalers

rico']

[quote name='NO BOS! said:

I hav a stock V7 STI fuel pump for sale.

/quote]

Would be keen man but really need to buy off company so can pay with credit card and get it sent ASAP rather than waiting for internet banking to cear etc. I'll check out pro wholesalers

Go through pro wholesale... because then you will have the piece of mind knowing its genuine!! and not some crappy chinese look a like

kwi_fozze said:

walbro pumps are perfect. higher flow rate. cheeper because they arn't subaru genuine parts. they have a higher flow rate, but they are a little noisy. turn up the radio, you hardly notice it. but if you sit at traffic lights with a quiet exhaust and the radio turned off you can definately hear a faint whurring from the pump.

walbro is also one of the first performance upgrades a lot of people do, as a more reliable fuel supply.

the kit, if you get it from prowholesale, a clubsub sponser, they are a bit cheeper than trademe, genuine walbro, and include loom adapters so they bolt straight in. half hour job, tops.

or go for the sti one... lol. beat me to it.

+1.

Just ordered walbro with subaru fitting kit through Pro wholesalers, great to deal with. Hopefully turns up tomorrow morning and I can take it over to car in Kaikoura and get it fitted.

Any tips or tricks with fitting these?

rico said:

Just ordered walbro with subaru fitting kit through Pro wholesalers, great to deal with. Hopefully turns up tomorrow morning and I can take it over to car in Kaikoura and get it fitted.

Take off fuel cap so the system isn't at all pressurised, make sure you remember which hose was which when you remove them from the top of the pump housing and it is generally recommended to re-use the subaru "sock".

MercuryFree']

[quote name='rico said:

/quote]

Take off fuel cap so the system isn't at all pressurised, make sure you remember which hose was which when you remove them from the top of the pump housing and it is generally recommended to re-use the subaru "sock".

an image to demonstrate the sock advice

walbropump.jpg

Just got back from Kaikoura after fitting walbro pump, big thanks to Pro wholesale for quick delivery and great service. Got Subaru fitting kit with the pump so no need to join any wires etc it simply plugs straight in and comes with a fuel sock the same size as the one from the original pump.

Maybe its all in my head but I swear car is idling and accelerating much smoother than it ever has which makes me wonder how long the old one had been on the blink for before it finally gave out.

Cheers to all that helped.

rico said:

Just got back from Kaikoura after fitting walbro pump, big thanks to Pro wholesale for quick delivery and great service. Got Subaru fitting kit with the pump so no need to join any wires etc it simply plugs straight in and comes with a fuel sock the same size as the one from the original pump.

Maybe its all in my head but I swear car is idling and accelerating much smoother than it ever has which makes me wonder how long the old one had been on the blink for before it finally gave out.

Cheers to all that helped.

Good shit. It probably is idling better and all that! Not just in your head

• General Member

Mine was genuine Walbro, from GFB NZ and it had a smaller sock than stock. Was also at the much more extreme angle.

I used the old sock as was recommended and have had no issues this far about 15 thousand kms or so on.

Although I didn't have to resolder anything, mine plugged straight up.

kamineko']

[quote name='rico said:

/quote]

an image to demonstrate the sock advice

walbropump.jpg

That bag is a 90degree one, you will find the 45degree ones fit and are bigger and efficient enough, i thought the correct fitment for a bg5/bd5 is a GSS341 not 342.. could be wrong ??? only time i've fitted a 342 was in my old BE5 and that had to be used with a small 90degree bag and on a slight angle