Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Crashed V6 STi - Thoughts? *edit - fixed pics

Someone I know through sport recently crashed their V6 STi wagon, guy in front of him slammed on brakes for an orange, he ran up the back of them, you get the idea. Trouble is he is only 17, couldn't get full insurance so only has 3rd party so know he has a dead sti on his driveway and doesn't know if it's repairable (I doubt it would be worth it?) or if there would be any interest in parting it out, so I said I'd ask on here and see what feedback i got,

here are some pics

image3.jpg

image.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

he found this in the engine bay, looks like a cam belt pulley (or whats left of it)

cam cover looks broken so does that mean engine poked? (if cambelt is broken)

Does the person he hit have insurance? I think the Road code says something like if it's a orange light, stop if you can safely. Slamming on breaks isn't safe, even if your friend did breach half distance rule. In my opinion, just a thought, maybe that's what he is doing if he wants to try that path

Worse damage has been fixed before. Admittedly the front is a little more serious to hit than the back, but I've seen worse damage. It's just that the parts are expensive, and she'll need a wee bit of straightening.

The engine is the big question mark. Engines have survived that, but as Kami said, it COULD be rooted...worth checking.

At the very least it's worth selling to someone who will fix it, saving to fix it or getting sh!tty with insurance. The back of my car looked FAR worse when it got annihilated by a rubbish truck (again, back is easier to fix than front, but worse damage has been fixed before). If it were mine, I'd be getting in there with rust prevention for the bits where metal has been exposed, pull off as much broken stuff as possible and start saving for the straightening and new panels. No need to wreck a perfectly nice STi over a punch in the face.

Looks repairable and chances are with a punt like that the engine would have shut off when he hit the back of the car so its highyly probable the engines ok. Be worth pulling the front damaged parts off, fix the cambelt and pulley and give it a whiz.

New alloy radiator. New cross members. Mint.

Divine said:

Does the person he hit have insurance? I think the Road code says something like if it's a orange light, stop if you can safely. Slamming on breaks isn't safe, even if your friend did breach half distance rule. In my opinion, just a thought, maybe that's what he is doing if he wants to try that path

The person at the back will always be at fault. Their speed and following distance should be matched for a safe stop in all conditions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

the guy in front has done nothing wrong. the following car must always be in a position to stop at all times regardless of circumstances. small child running out, etc. slamming on brakes at an orange is hardly cricket, but it's not illegal. i successfully had some one convicted of careless driving after changing lanes in front of me, slamming on the brakes, and me going up his arse, but that was only valid due to the dangerous lane change.

i wouldn't wreck the car. motor damaged or not, it's easily repairable for reasonably cheap. the car i mentioned in the above circumstance received similar damage, and i repaired it (although not show-room) for a grand total of $75 ( 2 lights, a slide hammer + can of color matched spray paint). It'll be easy to get it mint, with how easily parts can be swapped from subarus