Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Thinking about a BP5 legacy

markw336

well not entirely true the h6 has approx 250 hp where as the turbo has about 270hp but the delivery of power is different in the h6 you have instant torque where as in the turbo you have to wait a bit for the torque the h6 has constant power where as if your not on boost you have no power

lol yeah its chain driven and way more reliable so its much better for a wifes car if all she does is drive it from point to point if you want power you'd probally be better off going down the turbo lane as the parts/price/performance are better matched then with the 3l

the 2.0t is faster and less gas than the H6. h6 as said is smoother and more of a cruiser.

I would have gone the 2.0t myself but i do a bit of towing so the 6 is better.

it was a horses for courses decision for me. both a very nice packages. the 3.0 with the 6spd is a nice package as a compromise ;)

wow really the h6 uses more gas far out that surprises me only cause i have a bg5 legacy GT and because i have this i think al surbaru turbo motors are very hungry haha and im not one to complain about the price of petrol but must admit it came as a bit of a fright when premium petrol was 2.25 this morning (i live in thames)

dacerx said:

if you were really worried about fuel pricing you wouldnt be getting subaru at all, in all honesty, thats not why we own them.

YES this +10000000000000 have people complaining to me about there subaru's using too much gas. get a priius if your so concerned about gas lol

Up to around late 2006, BP turbos were 5 speed manuals. Then there was a facelift and the 6 speed manual gearbox (from the 3.0L models) was introduced into turbo models. It's a sweet gearbox. Also if you're gonna go NZ new, there was about 12-18 months where the facelift GTs continued with the 2.0L turbo before supply switched to Aus spec GTs which came with the 2.5L turbo and less power (180kw vs around 205kw).

I did a car swap test drive with a friend who just bought a 3.0L manual BP - he drove my facelift GT. 3.0L is a sweet motor. But not as quick as the turbo. I nailed his 3.0L on a motorway onramp. In my car he clung to my tail all the way down, and afterwards said the GT had plenty of power in reserve. But both engines are great - I love the turbo but I'd be more than happy with a 3.0L.

Standard clutches are average though. Stall easy. Don't like fast changes. Might be that they're good when new, but don't wear well. I test drove a few and all the same.

X said:

my mates BP5 before mods cost about 3/4 tank from Auckland to Upper Hutt ( Wellington ) now it cost him just over a tank or so

My BH did roughly 2.5 tanks fully loaded from Whangerei via Rotorua to Wellington

Fully loaded was 2 kids, me, mrs luggage for international move - 3 suitcases, 1 pram, and all sorts of shit... (Just ask Pappu what the car looked like when he saw us in the detour dropping a poddie of)

Having owned both cars I can tell you this:

They both use around the same amount of gas in mixed usage. The turbo is better on the open road, the 3.0 better in town.

The 3.0 doesn't have as much torque as the turbo despite what the others say, it has much better response though. The turbo has a bit of lag to begin with but once its boosting at around 2.5k-3k it has a LOT more mid range push than the 3.0. The 3.0 has very linear power delivery and feels better up top than the turbo. Ringing the 3.0 out feels good while the turbo falls off at the upper RPM.

Speed wise I would rank them like this:

Turbo manual

Turbo Auto=Manual 3.0

Auto 3.0

markw336 said:

wow really the h6 uses more gas far out that surprises me only cause i have a bg5 legacy GT and because i have this i think al surbaru turbo motors are very hungry haha and im not one to complain about the price of petrol but must admit it came as a bit of a fright when premium petrol was 2.25 this morning (i live in thames)

I disagree. My V6 with v7 motor gets 550km to a tank of 98. My legacy gets 600 or slightly more.