Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Outback engine question

lunchie

Hey all

My old man is looking at getting an outback.

He is thinking the 2004-2006 shape.

Basically he wants to know how much power the different engines all make and whether the auto trans are ok, he would like to be able to tow a light boat (1500kg max)

Also is either of the engines better or worse than the other in terms of reliability?

I am leaning towards the 3ltr for him but he wants to know what the fuel consumption is like>?

Does anyone here own one and have any experiences to share or even engine experience with the 3ltr in the legacy as I believe its the same engine?

Any real first hand experience would be great.

Cheers

the 3 litre would use the least amount of fuel of all the engines as a guess

less than the turbo because it not turbo :)

less than the 2.5 as the engine will be working less hard in the same situation

Of course it depends on the driver really

We are borg said:

the 3 litre would use the least amount of fuel of all the engines as a guess

less than the turbo because it not turbo :)

less than the 2.5 as the engine will be working less hard in the same situation

Of course it depends on the driver really

wrong wrong wrong Demo lol...

the 2.0t is more fuel efficient that the 3.0 in almost every situation - and its more powerful (peak kw). the 3.0 has a nicer and wider torque band for towing.

I cant comment on the 2.5 but id assume its the most efficient of the three.

Hi lunchie.

I own a 2004-6 NZ new BPE (3.0l) outback. comes in 5speed tiptronic and a few different addons / features compared to the JDM one. Mechanically its identical.

Personally i went with the 3.0 over the 2.0 as i do tow with it. in my opinion you'd stress a little turbo motor towing to much, you take a fuel consumption hit but its still not bad. i can get about 10l/100kms on long haul, much less towing. With respect to reliability its great - ive not had a single issue with mine in the 30k kms of owning it thus far. Chain driven is also handy as no belt change required till 200,000kms.

with respect to towing weight i tow my race car + an unbraked trailer (not ideal but its what i have). I havent weighed it but would assume im somewhere in the 2 tonne range. This is about its safe weight limit, i towed my freinds GD (spec C) on the same trailer and his car is about 200-300kgs heavier than mine and it suddenly got quite scary - i think the towed weight exceeded the car weight by too much - this is only my own opinion though. you can tip and towed trailer off the road really with a moments inattention. That all said you should be fine with 1500kg boat etc.

Great car for towing - and oodles of power - i can hook up passing lanes or steep hills at the speed limit almost anywhere in the country - i would say though that for towing cruise control and tiptronic are almost essential for a nice towing experience.

also auto > manual when ever towing.

Oh and.. the newer 5AET (5 speed auto these have) is light years ahead of the older 4AET in older legacies. Compared to other autos in the 2003- 6 era perhaps they arent the pick of the bunch but nothing you'd really complain about.

hope that helps.

• Admin

My old man has an EZ30R Outback Auto - really nice to drive, smooth power, oodles of torque low down compared to the 2.0's. If I remember right they're around 186kw which is very similar to a WRX.

The gearbox is nice, very smooth quick shifts, no worries (as long as it's been looked after...). Tows his 14ft tinny like it's not there.

Only wierd thing, with the added ride height of the Outback, they seem to have made the suspension quite rigid. Good for towing I guess but it's quite bumpy around town and such.

boon said:

Only wierd thing, with the added ride height of the Outback, they seem to have made the suspension quite rigid. Good for towing I guess but it's quite bumpy around town and such.

personally i like it nice and firm - its still sways a bit if pushed through the curves. IMO its not harsh and uncomfortable.

• Admin
 funkytown']

[quote name='boon said:

/quote]

personally i like it nice and firm - its still sways a bit if pushed through the curves. IMO its not harsh and uncomfortable.

Hey I've got no problem with it, it's a world softer than my stupid thing. I just expected something that high to... ?wallow? a bit more than it does.

funkytown']

you lowered and OB? now ive heard it all

tbh i want some coil overs so i can raise mine up :D

hmm ask gerald if i can do a direct swap with mine - mine SACKS on its arse when im towing. (im asuming its only the rears that change)

Yea man looks mean ahaha ok I'll ask when I talk to him next

[quote name='ADIKT said:

since when can you get a turbo OB? thought the were all NA??

You could get some autoleveling shocks like i had in my 07 leggy?? ::)

img]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/34779_443889040931_556590931_6353431_776137_n.jpg[/img]

That looks sik