Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Blown/cracked Head gasket

tydon

ok when i replaced my black under manifold black intake plastic pipe i forget to hoook up a couple of pipes one to my IAVC and one on the alloy header tank. drove around for a day before realising that it overheated and that there was no water in the car at all...

im sure iv either cracked or blown the heads.

I have another spare engine i can put in from a GTB legacy wagon it has a very loud sticky lifter.

would it be easier to pull engine out and fix the blown/cracked head or fix the sticky lifter on the GTB motor and drop it in and convert block to single turbo????

Swindog said:

Fill it back up with water and run it see what happens then.

it still overheats slightly hard to start no heating coming out of heater just cold air.

thats what happens when u work on ur car in the pouring rain in the dark was freaking soaked and wanted to get outa the rain....

just wanna know whats the eaiser fix sticky lifter? or replace heads and gaskets on previous motor?

If you've badly overheated it, then the heads are quite likely to have gone soft. So they are now good for scrap value.

A sticky lifter in a GTB motor sounds dodgy? They've got solid lifters. Unless you're talking about a GT (BG5a)?

from what ive read here youve put water in it but it slightly overheats and no hot air out the heater, you may have just not bled the cooling system correctly. bleed it right and see !

Koom said:

If you've badly overheated it, then the heads are quite likely to have gone soft. So they are now good for scrap value.

A sticky lifter in a GTB motor sounds dodgy? They've got solid lifters. Unless you're talking about a GT (BG5a)?

well the gtb motor had a noisy ticking sound motor ran fine and it quitens when it warms up. its is a bg5b or c motor with yellow injectors orange afm.

CIutch Nade said:

from what ive read here youve put water in it but it slightly overheats and no hot air out the heater, you may have just not bled the cooling system correctly. bleed it right and see !

i also get a hot water bubbling sound and it spits the water out the radiator overflow. so im sure the heads are stuffed while driving sometimes get large poping sound and power bogs down engine dies unless u give it alota revs in lower gear to start engine. idles really badly and takes abit to start up from cold or warm

tydon']

[quote name='CIutch Nade said:

/quote]

i also get a hot water bubbling sound and it spits the water out the radiator overflow. so im sure the heads are stuffed while driving sometimes get large poping sound and power bogs down engine dies unless u give it alota revs in lower gear to start engine. idles really badly and takes abit to start up from cold or warm

headgaskets deff goneburger. id be betting the heads are also fucked .

either look for a new engine or heads.

always double check fluids after a run around the block or get up to temp and go over it

rex-leggy']

[quote name='CIutch Nade said:

/quote]

headgaskets deff goneburger. id be betting the heads are also f***ed .

either look for a new engine or heads.

always double check fluids after a run around the block or get up to temp and go over it

i can get another BG5a motor in good condition or the BG5b motor out of the GTB with a noisy lifter.

is it hard to fix a lifter i wud prefer the bg5b motor as it should be able to handle more?? it had yellow injectors ornage afm etc.

are you sure its a bg5b motor? the "noisey lifter" you speak of would usually come from bg5a heads with hydrolic lifters.

solid lifters shouldn't be noisy it might just be piston slap. there both going to be the same block really , the big difference is in the heads. bg5a heads will work fine BUT dont rev the crap out of them .

rex-leggy said:

are you sure its a bg5b motor? the "noisey lifter" you speak of would usually come from bg5a heads with hydrolic lifters.

solid lifters shouldn't be noisy it might just be piston slap. there both going to be the same block really , the big difference is in the heads. bg5a heads will work fine BUT dont rev the crap out of them .

motor came out of a 96 GTB limited wagon with the ej20r loom im sure theyre the bg5b motors? had a really loud ticking and quite fast pased sound on idle and would slowly get quiter after warming the engine up.

piston slap is where the sidewalls of the pistons wear out due to being alloy blocks and the pistons rattle inside untill they warm up if its doing it after its warm you have a problem

on cold the pistons are small and they rattley but once warmed up they expand with heat and should stop making that noise

Stoffa said:

I thought it was the bores going out of round not the pistons wearing funny, piston slap usually goes away once the engine is warm

car would still tick when warm didnt really affect any performance that i knew of as it was TT and had vf17/18 just ultra lag. and the tags on the chassis had ej20r and bg5b. the engine ran fine just had an annoying ticking