Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Exhaust mod option

STI

I'd Say a full 3 inch system off the turbo would go down nicely. HKS Silent Hi-Power + siamese front pipe?? not really that silent though hah

can confirm 3" turbo back exhaust is nice, defiantly not quiet. At a guess id say not warrant able but haven't gone for a new warrant yet.

make sure you do something about your boosting when you get it done. have just installed a Greddy Profec-B which has made it alot nicer.

MINTGTB']

[quote name='Raynes said:

I'd Say a full 3 inch system off the turbo would go down nicely. HKS Silent Hi-Power + siamese front pipe?? not really that silent though hah

/quote]

is that what you're running raynes?? sound mean..?

That's what i'm running, and it does sound bloody mean. You gotta go to dodgy wof places though, everywhere else plays the "it's louder than factory" (No shit!) card and get you to dB test it ::) (not a good idea)

If you're on the shore, Barry's point auto on barry's point road. Found them cause my mate works down the same drive

I got siamese down pipe then standard 2.5 mid section to a Sti gnome (spelling?) tip on my V7.

Looks completely standard from the outside, isn't to loud when cruzing which is waht you want in a daily driver but sounds really nice when you get on the boost. Ill see if I can find a vid of it.

Hopai said:

Here's something for you guys to drool over!

http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

I've fitted a couple of these and they're a damn well built muffler, legal too (just).

I thought they where a great idea the best off both worlds... But when i enquired about them i got told the muffers with the varrible sound in them were illegal here.

I still have one :P

Old Skool Subbie said:

I thought they where a great idea the best off both worlds... But when i enquired about them i got told the muffers with the varrible sound in them were illegal here.

I still have one :P

Half true, as long as when the muffler butterfly is in the fully open position it doesn't exceed the specified noise rating for the vehicle, it's completely legit.

Owners of stock older GT's (there can't be many now) would be fimiliar with the system, as the factory muffler has butterfly in it that when you plant boot and the second turbo kicks in, the exhaust doesn't go through the resinator chamber in the end muffler.

Some GDI Mitsi's have a similiar system for when the GDI kicks in, as do the newer V6 Honda's for when the i-VTEC kicks in.

ReubenH']

[quote name='Raynes said:

/quote]

is that what you're running raynes?? sound mean..?

That's what i'm running, and it does sound bloody mean. You gotta go to dodgy wof places though, everywhere else plays the "it's louder than factory" (No shit!) card and get you to dB test it ::) (not a good idea)

If you're on the shore, Barry's point auto on barry's point road. Found them cause my mate works down the same drive

yeah yeah.. your 3" though reuby.. i hope 2.5" will still sound mean! 8)

Any suggestions on some good quality front pipes? At the moment I have a HKS Silent Hi Power, (3" Cat Back) was going to get the HKS front pipe but the store I got them from had none in stock. So I'm just wondering are there any alternatives (preferably in stock in NZ) that people are using and are happy with their purchase? I've seen a few forum members suggest Rage in the old forums but they're made of mild steel are they not?

• 2 months later...

Well as most would know, i fitted my HKS Silent Hi-Power diff back zaust on yesterday.. its bloody quiet! will invest in some 2.5" Downpipes, Y-join and a 3" mid-section with a hot dog resonator to give it a deep low burble 8)

If you get a 2.5" downpipe, likely that it'll have a blanking plate blocking off flow from the exhaust wastegate flapper, which partly defeats the purpose of doing the downpipe as there will be turbulence galore at the turbo exhaust exit.

I've got a V7 STi with a Rage 3" downpipe, custom mild steel 3" exhaust with 3 resonators, welded to a Zerosports World Leaguer muffler. Very quiet, great note, flows excellent. It's what I'd consider a perfect sound level, can just barely hear the burble around town in a car that has no sound deadening, but open the taps and it's all on :)

Guest DMSREX

Bellmouth downpipe with a splitter welded is a good alternative to Siamese downpipes (not a fan of the Siamese design).

You do need to have the splitter welded correctly i've seen some dodgey ones.

Guest boostcut
 off2harrys said:

if your worried about sound levels with a 3" another options get some a/m headers,seems to quieten it down a bit only got 90db on mine and of course a lil bit more oomph

yeah thats what my car did too... 91 db x force extractors 3 inch down pipe and hks mid and rear and its too quiet

boostcut']

[quote name='off2harrys said:

if your worried about sound levels with a 3" another options get some a/m headers,seems to quieten it down a bit only got 90db on mine and of course a lil bit more oomph

/quote]

yeah thats what my car did too... 91 db x force extractors 3 inch down pipe and hks mid and rear and its too quiet

ooh i dont know if i could handle the equal length headers though,they sound weird prob grow on you though