• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tow Cars

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are borg said:

Ideally your tow vehicle should be heavier than the towed vehicle ( nigh on impossible)

Surf/Prado/hilux + 1kzte ( 3 litre turbo diesel later on intercooled as well) + AUTO =would be my second choice

Landcruiser 80/100/200 with the 1HDFTE engine (4.2 turbo diesel and with the 100 series intercooled and EFI) 0r the with the 200 a 4.5 litre turbo twin turbo intercooled V8 diesel with either a 4 speed or 5 speed auto = first choice

I would stay away from the NA diesel as they have bag loads of torque but no HP :( this i know as I have run a landcruiser with a 4.2 litre 6 cylinder for over 400,000 km :)

Have both a 80 series and 200 series.. Toyota Power!! ;D

• General Member

Towed my WRX in full trim on trailer from Manfield to Wanganui with Mums Hyundai Sonata once... It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Used a SS Ute to tow it Wanganui to Palmy once, was easy as, I also used a Turbo Diesel Holden Rodeo to bring it back, that was pretty stress free also.

Lastly I towed my old KE30 DX Corolla from Wanganui to Taihape and back on a massively overkill tandem axle tilting car trailer with an old 2l Diesel Hilux. It wasn't quick but I was patient and it did the job without a hassle.

petrolheadjman said:

A friend of mine tows her rx7 race car with a big petrol patrol, uses lots of gas but does the job!

Yeah, but she's towing the giant enclosed STM car transporter trailer...I don't intend to be going that overboard!

Although in saying that, it looks like everyone's yelling LAND CRUISER so not much difference in giantcar stakes between that and a Patrol I guess...

MercuryFree']

[quote name='petrolheadjman said:

A friend of mine tows her rx7 race car with a big petrol patrol, uses lots of gas but does the job!

/quote]

Yeah, but she's towing the giant enclosed STM car transporter trailer...I don't intend to be going that overboard!

Although in saying that, it looks like everyone's yelling LAND CRUISER so not much difference in giantcar stakes between that and a Patrol I guess...

and the patrol is broken atm :-(

If you are really looking at a tow vehicle have a look at what tow bars are available as in the rating,u will probably find that the likes of prado,surf,terrano and most uses can only be fitted with a 2250 kg one where as the landcruiser/patrol ones are mostly 3500kg

CR4SHR']

[quote name='Sequence said:

Once towed a hilux ute on a tandem axel trailer with the V8 turbo land cruiser, Over taking cars at 130kms ;D

/quote]

On a race track eh :P

Must've been, towing limit is 90, someone must have forgotten to tell him, its 90km/h not 90m/h xD

Sent from my GT-I5510 using Tapatalk

I beg to differ from all you kiddies

Pit crew fit - Yes

Pit crew beyatches - heeeellll yes

Tow whatever you like (race car wise) - f**king A

4.jpg

Or have your orgy pad with you

u1300-86-1.jpg

Or on steriods:

Bilder-Buch2.jpg

U1300LMartin-Krause2.jpg

And offcourse to dig your ass out of the sh1t ;D

georg_buerkle_bb.jpg

Lotto tow car (Stall have the mog tho cos I know they go in wonderful places that most others wont especially the old 1300 Mog ambo's) - if I win this weekend that is

ford-f350-7.jpg

I have towed a few cars with a few different cars, so below is my thoughts and a few replies to peoples suggestions.

Mainly used an H6 Outback (EZ30D auto) to tow my 1500kg Legacy rally car on a braked trailer, it did the job just fine. But if you were 4 up in the car and had a bunch of spares it slowed it down a bit. Of course the towbar limit was around 1500kg braked, so insurance would be an issue if we had ever had an accident. Fuel economy wasn't great, about 1.5-2 tanks to Auckland.

Used a Rodeo 3L turbo diesel manual ute (2006ish) at one stage to tow rally car to Auckland and back, really fuel efficient and towed very easily. And you have a nice big tray to load spares on. Downside is the interior is rather well ute like... If I buy a tow car it will be between a ute like this and an XR6 turbo ute.

Also have used a friends V6 Commodore (late model modern V6 and manual, not the old cruddy motors) to tow the GTR (about the same weight as the RS ~1500kgs), used half a tank to Palmy and back (empty trailer in one direction) and cruised easily in 5th, but struggled a little in 6th at 90km/hr with loaded trailer. Also has a nice big interior to sleep in and is practical round town, however boot space is a bit small compared to the Legacy or Rodeo.

I have flat towed with my BG5 GTB (cars around 1200-1400kgs) without issue, but I suspect the poor old GTB would struggle with 2 ton of trailer and GTR, would at least need to upgrade the rear shocks and springs as it squats pretty badly.

I have also flat towed with various vans and found that the later Hiace's with 2.8 TD and 3L TD are pretty damned good for towing. This would be an excellent option for a tow car as heaps of room for parts etc. Downside is they aren't really a very nice daily.

My one bad towing experience was using an old Nissan Terrano 2 door, with the 2.7L TD. SLOW!!! We did load it up very heavily and had 3 of us in it. But it really struggled up hills, often had to use 2nd gear! It also sagged majorly in the rear end. So less than ideal. On the positive side, it wasn't overly thirsty and you can always fiddle with the pump and get more power, at the cost of more fuel consumption. Also really cramped inside, but that might have been because I had a weeks worth of race car spares in it for Targa. So I wouldn't recommend anything with the engine these had as a bigger shell would be even slower I imagine.

I am looking at an XR6 turbo ute as the next tow car, as although it will be thirsty, they have massive torque and a big tray to load up with parts :) And as a daily they aren't that thirsty, especially if you get them a tune and a few mods.

Jon - I wouldn't touch an Audi as a tow car, I have a friend with an RS4 Avant and the stupid little things in the way they design them make them a real pain to work on, and like most Euro cars they seem to have their fair share of electronic gremlins.

Subieboy - I wouldn't touch any Merc truck if they are anything like the UNIMOG's, bloody unreliable slow pieces of junk!

Any late model ute or van (2005 onwards) 2.8l or bigger diesel turbo will see you right. The newer utes are more car like in the interior and driving and are fine for daily drivers.

I've got an 09 Mazda BT50 and it tows like a dream, takes me no longer towing circa 3 ton of trailer, car, spares etc then it does driving anywhere normally. Not bad on gas either, circa 450km when towing at least 600km normal driving.

Munkvy']

I am looking at an XR6 turbo ute as the next tow car, as although it will be thirsty, they have massive torque and a big tray to load up with parts :) And as a daily they aren't that thirsty, especially if you get them a tune and a few mods.

Put it on Gas... My best mate in Aussie had a 2009 XR6 Turbo ute on Gas, heavily modified... over 300Kw and no issues (Does switch to petrol somewhere in the higher rpm)

[quote name='Munkvy said:

Subieboy - I wouldn't touch any Merc truck if they are anything like the UNIMOG's, bloody unreliable slow pieces of junk!

Driven them extensively while in the Army, the only reason they "broke down" is because they weren't being used as they weren't getting serviced...

We had one as part of my unit that had less than 15 000Km on it and it was an original model - the 1st unimog ambo delivered to RNZAMC... F**k we spent more time wiping spiders off the f**king things than mud, it was a disgrace

those audi all roads rear airride shocks crap out all the time too, I'm sure it would happen more often too if your towing all the time, iirc they about $1500 trade for the rear pair.

my mate runs a euro workshop in king st and I've seen at least 3 audi all roads in there getting the shocks done, when they crap out they sag on one side

94 Leone said:

One of the new TD hilux's you'll see slammed on 20's in richmond/nelson, if they aren't slammed and are still higher, they'll pull hard. Or put a lexus v8 in it for sh*ts and giggles.

Ooor a raised brumby with an ez30 in it xD

EZ30 wont fit in the FRONT :) I know i measured

but it will fit in the bed but you lose 4wd :)

Depends what type of towing, I use the surf in the profile below when out 4x4 pulled my mates safari out of the sh&t a few times and like wise for me, Lexus V8 manual for the win. Fuel use is ridiculous 385 Km to a tank 55L :( but being able to go any where and tow pretty much anything ;D.

Cheers, 2dr

2dr said:

Depends what type of towing, I use the surf in the profile below when out 4x4 pulled my mates safari out of the sh&t a few times and like wise for me, Lexus V8 manual for the win. Fuel use is ridiculous 385 Km to a tank 55L :( but being able to go any where and tow pretty much anything ;D.

Cheers, 2dr

I can say the same about my cruiser :) does about 15 litres of diesel per 100 km ( so not flash)

has done over 400,000 km and still uses no oil

IMG_5347.JPG