Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy BP5 / BL5 Tuning Reviews

Scotte

tweedo said:

Did you notice much better economy with it as well? $150 seems pretty good or do they charge more each time you get a revision done? And do these twinscrolls handle 1.25bar daily? That def sounds like a good option though. I\'m not wanting to do too much myself just incase something goes wrong but if its just a lot of logging data and reflashing I suppose it can\'t go too wrong can it? Haha

it\'s hard to say, as I didn\'t really pay too much attention to fuel economy and never really took a snapshot of a tank before/after to see the difference.

Mine does sit about 10km/L if that\'s any help, which is mostly my city commute and weekend driving around the city.

The cost was $150US all up, but that didn\'t include the cost for heading to the track each time, I probably went about 6-7 times to the track, so wasn\'t too much in the end.

The process is quite fun once you get started, you can see the changes made to the ecu by comparing old vs new in romraider, so you can see where gains and smoothness are made and how such small changes to various parameters can affect the drivability of the car.

At 1.25 bar I find that I rarely hit that during my regular driving, because of the improvements to the low end torque the car is much more enjoyable to drive under the boost curve than before, but that all depends how you drive.

Thing is once it\'s tuned you should be knocking way less than before on the factory tune, so it\'s probably safer giving it the beans then it was before.

Is that 10km on the trip computer? If so thats about what I get around town, normal driving.

Do you think you could have got away with just the initial tune and ran with that for good or would that never be a safe option? Where did you get your cable from too?

Did you log the data then send it back to him each time for adjustment?

Sorry for all the questions just wanting to find out as much as possible before I go ahead with something like this.

tweedo said:

Is that 10km on the trip computer? If so thats about what I get around town, normal driving.

Do you think you could have got away with just the initial tune and ran with that for good or would that never be a safe option? Where did you get your cable from too?

Did you log the data then send it back to him each time for adjustment?

Sorry for all the questions just wanting to find out as much as possible before I go ahead with something like this.

yeah 10km on trip computer.

I ran with the stock tune for about a week before getting the first base map on the car, it ran ok but was really rich with the downpipe so pretty much could smell fuel all the time, this was fixed within a few revisions. Supposedly it\'s safe enough with these cars, but yeah you\'ll be running way too rich so best getting a tune with that downpipe.

I just got my cable from ebay, it was a cheap vagcom cable, but worked ok, you just have to make sure you get one with the FTDI chipset, the others won\'t get you anywhere.

yeah did a log of 2nd gear 2k rpm to redline, same in 3rd gear sent it through and got an updated revision each time.

No worries, am happy to help.

As I said it was a bit of work, i\'m sure you could get quicker results from someone in Aus or even get it tuned on the dyno locally, but I\'m pretty happy with the results I got on mine, and feel very comfortable that the car is running better than it was before.

Going to get it looked at locally for a start by APET, the price sounds reasonable enough for a mild tune, which is all done on the dyno too. Anybody here had anything done by these guys?

The guy there said the earlier model BP/BL\'s have an issue with getting into and being able to reflash the ECU though... You obviously didn\'t have any issues with this though?

tweedo said:

Going to get it looked at locally for a start by APET, the price sounds reasonable enough for a mild tune, which is all done on the dyno too. Anybody here had anything done by these guys?

The guy there said the earlier model BP/BL\'s have an issue with getting into and being able to reflash the ECU though... You obviously didn\'t have any issues with this though?

i have a 03 bp5 spec b had it flashed by one of the members Allister (Paimei) on sunday. he had no problems reflashing it.

just a mild one at this stage, will be going again after i do some more mods

subirex']

[quote name='tweedo said:

/quote]

i have a 03 bp5 spec b had it flashed by one of the members Allister (Paimei) on sunday. he had no problems reflashing it.

just a mild one at this stage, will be going again after i do some more mods

Oh cool, are you happy with the results? Noticed much difference with it?

Is it locked by ecutek or similar or they just couldnt connect with it?

On another note as far as Apet go there is a few people who have used them on here looking over some old posts. kamineko would prob be the best person to ask.

He reckons that the earlier model BP/BL\'s you weren\'t able to flash anything to the ecu but that they fixed that with the late \'04 model onwards? Is this a load of bollocks?

I think it may be when I read that syphe and subirex had no issues and theirs are the \'03 model!

Is there something that needs to be connected for it to work?

evowrx said:

Is it locked by ecutek or similar or they just couldnt connect with it?

On another note as far as Apet go there is a few people who have used them on here looking over some old posts. kamineko would prob be the best person to ask.

It\'s not locked. They tried a few program\'s and it wouldn\'t show up on them.

They can get into it to read but just not to be able to reflash it.

Sweet, thanks. I\'ll hit him up about it if I manage to get this sorted.

Other than the OBD2 port being a pain in the arse to access and the short cable I had, I didn\'t have any other issues.

Once I got the drivers setup with the old version of ecuFlash it never gave me troubles.

Stupid question but did they have the car in test mode with all the fans and crap going on and off? On the newer cars with CANBus I don\'t believe the car needed to be in test mode to read/flash, though if they did manage to read a map then there goes that theory.

Na all he did was plug it in the obd2 port, tried to access it through ecu flash and some other program but had no luck getting it to show up. I was wondering whether you needed to plug the green or black cables together? Were yours plugged in or na?

Just seems a bit odd to me that your earlier model one is fine but they decided they wouldn\'t allow it on mine haha

yeah you need to connect the two wires in the passenger foot well, it\'s a pain in the arse to unplug them but after you do it a couple of times you get the hang of it.

It will be a green plug and socket, and don\'t think the car will start with them plugged in.

KiwiJoe said:

I asked about a dyno flash at an outfit in Christchurch yesterday. They said there would be a $500 \'setup fee\' to unlock the ecu before the tune even began. I was unimpressed.

Well fook that!! Do you think they were just taking the piss? What car have you got?

tweedo']

[quote name='KiwiJoe said:

I asked about a dyno flash at an outfit in Christchurch yesterday. They said there would be a $500 \'setup fee\' to unlock the ecu before the tune even began. I was unimpressed.

/quote]

Well fook that!! Do you think they were just taking the piss? What car have you got?

No, they seemed totally serious. This is for an 07 GT.

tweedo said:

I\'ve found those ones/knew where they were... they are paired with the black plugs as well yeah?

Just to confirm... you DO have to plug them together to be able to reflash the ecu?

yes both need to be plugged together. one set is on left hand side of car 1 set on right hand side of car