Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Version 8 wrx

lunchie said:

Does anyone know if (or has actually done it) whether a VF series turbo is a direct bolt on to the wrx (non sti) which uses the td04

yes any vf that fits v3-7 will fit that v8wrx

vf22,23,24,29,30,34 i suppose are the most common ones

has anyone here ever bolted a vf22 onto a stock wrx? with any success?

I am getting closer and closer to buying my car but I REALLY want to keep a hatch and I dont want a v7 sti and cant quite afford a current shape.

So I was thinking

buy a v8wrx hatch for like 12k. bolt on a vf22, bigger injectors and fuel pump and get a reflash. Maybe another 4k.

Boom, hopfully 250-300 hp for 16k all up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? V8 wrx will tolerate this hp on stock engine and gear box?

WRXONP said:

200 kw (268hp) at the wheels is pretty simple to get with a decent TB exhaust - vf22 23 30 34 - pink sti injector - walbro and a retune - can do 200 on relatively moderate boost

yeah the power is not what Im worried about, I am confident I can get that but what I am wondering is will the stock block and 5 speed tolerate 200kw atw?

what do you guys recken about this idea

bigger turbo, say vf30 or vf34

ecu reflash from STM or similar, bigger fuel pump

Aftermarket catless down pipe.

Retain stock exhaust rear section.

Basically do you think I would still get good gains with retaining the stock rear section of the exhaust as I really want to maintain a completely stock appearance.

Any thoughts? as I only want 200kw atw and I would be happy as a pig in shit

Stoffa said:

stop bothering around and just buy an sti!! by the time you go swapping turbos and reflashing, you'll be in the ball park of an sti anyway.

and you'll have a 6 speed and brembos for free

+1 for the little extra money its twice the car, faster stock and far better resaleable value too.

Edit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/v8/auction-470597014.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-470316532.htm

evowrx']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

stop bothering around and just buy an sti!! by the time you go swapping turbos and reflashing, you'll be in the ball park of an sti anyway.

and you'll have a 6 speed and brembos for free

/quote]

+1 for the little extra money its twice the car, faster stock and far better resaleable value too.

Edit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/v8/auction-470597014.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-470316532.htm

another +1

with just an exhaust u can get around 200kw on v7sti after a tune

and u can use the change to do a v8 front conversion and possibly still have change from 16k..and have a better car all around...

I regret everyday but if i had bought a sti i probably wouldve left it standardish this way ill end up with more in the end. preferred the v5/6 non sti interior too and couldnt afford sti at the time anything sti close to what i bought wouldve been another 5k. always want better brakes though.

paints expensive for front conversion unless you have a hookup

Eight dollar said:

Aren't we missing the part he wants a v8 wagon which don't come out sti?

yip missed it. did subaru miss that too pretty stupid?

in the future thats what id like to buy...ive only seen them with sti bumpers im guessing.

And also, if you did a front conversion. You would still need to do rear tail lights, and with the v8 lights I think they have a bit at the bottom which sits in the bumper meaning you would need a new bumper as well. Prob not worth it in the long run

Hey all, I appreciate that just buying the V7 sti wagon will be one option but I really dont like the looks of it and I WANT a wagon. So I think I will give the v8wrx wagon a try and pop on a vf34 or vf22 with a retune and see what sort of power it makes.

A stock v8 sti makes 190kw atw. If I can do that then id be happy.

Also I am not wanting to turn the wrx into an sti, I know it will never be that, I just want a WRX thats interesting enough when I put my foot down as I have driven enough wrxs and stis to know that the wrx bores me in stock form.

yea man good call

with a vf23/30/34/22 u should see 190kw@w+ with tune (would suggest maybe a sti top mount and exhaust as well)

there are some tidy ones on TM at moment

(ps. yet to see a stock v8sti do 190kw@w - more like 175-180 on the ones i seen run)

v7 sti was the last sti hatch as such, until the 08/version 11 came out

i dont mind the bugeye buts prefer the v8/v9 looks, and because subaru didnt build a sti hatch i just got a wrx, hence why mine now looks more like a sti hatch than a standard wrx hatch, all u need is the sedan parts and you're sorted

front guards, bumper, splitters, lip and spotlight covers and there's your sti front end, (i didnt bother with the grill as the grill has sti on it and im yet to source a genuine scoop)

ive put some other bits on like a rear waist spoiler, end caps, etc but that was personal preference

my td04 does well enough for what i need, i dont do straight lines, id much rather attack the track than hit meremere, the more twisty the better so i like taupo over hampton (havent hit hampton in mine yet but have in a mates ef9) so im happy with the response i get from the small, but quick spooling turbo, at some point i wouldnt mind giving the ecu a reflash/tune but a new turbo is not on my list of things to do

if i win lotto or somehow end up with lots of money, i will look at putting maybe a sti engine into the car and tweeking that a bit, until then, my car goes fine

if anyone wants to discuss whats been done with my car just let me know

pappu said:

yea man good call

with a vf23/30/34/22 u should see 190kw@w+ with tune (would suggest maybe a sti top mount and exhaust as well)

there are some tidy ones on TM at moment

(ps. yet to see a stock v8sti do 190kw@w - more like 175-180 on the ones i seen run)

well that makes it even easier. A stock v8 wrx does around 145-150kw atw so really I just need another 40kw or so. But the main thing is I dont like how the tdo4 runs out of puff at 6000rpm it reminds me of my old ct26 powered st185 gt4. They had the same issue, great low down power and then nothing in the top end.

Ideally I want to do the down pipe and center section of the zaust but leave the back section stock to keep the car looking very normal.

also I would prefer a v9 wrx hatch but with the exception of the man above good luck finding one!