Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

engine rebuild ej20

czar loc

hi guys

ive been given a engine block with a lot of other subaru parts, ive just dismantled the last of it as it was stripped a bit (removed heads, removed Pistons and split the block), my plan is to rebuild it fully with alot of new parts ie. Forged pistons,ARD billet crank shaft Ect, but now are wondering if the block i have is worth using to start this project my plan is to hopefully get 400- 450hp atw ??? its an open deck and looks fine cilinders look clean thats all i can tell from it.

are there any defnitive marks on the block to identify what it is??

Photos at http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii578/czarloc/

Iv'e read up alot on this too, I think if it's a open block and your wanting 400whp+ then it might pay to get it sleeved for the extra protection, I'm hoping to push 350whp with a 2871r/30r sized turbo on a open deck, and was reccomended to sleeve or swap to a semi-block like the 207 if I was looking at pushing 400-500whp :D thats a big inbetween.

apparently there havn't been to0 many issues 400+, but hey, since it's all open,why not sleeve?

soopersubaru']

[quote name='czar loc said:

Dose any1 know/strongly Reccomend Were to go in hamilton/Waikato Aera? What kind of Costs am i Looking at?

/quote]In auck we are can build....for ..450 hp $ 12k + computer too run it + tune ups(2)

Line bored deck heighted, full Dynamical balance of components AVCS heads

I'd have more faith in what you were offering if you could spell/didn't use words that don't exist.

soopersubaru']

Dose any1 know/strongly Reccomend Were to go in hamilton/Waikato Aera? What kind of Costs am i Looking at?

In auck we are can build....for ..450 hp $ 12k + computer too run it + tune ups(2)

[quote name='czar loc said:

/quote]In auck we are can build....for ..450 hp $ 12k + computer too run it + tune ups(2)

Who is this through?

moneys not an issue... could be 20k, i was just meaning about preparing the block, ive got 45% of the parts so far (spent $4500+), Just wanted to know if this block is worth using, r there much major differances between ej20's

being more realistic about your power figures 400hp minimum, the last subi i had before mu m8 wrote it off a few years ago was a bc5 rs doing 375hp, i want this rs to be a bit faster but not to fast thats y 500hp is my "Cut off"

Crank $200-3000 depending on secondhand or new genuine or after market

Rods $500-2000 Eagles may fail at 450hp atw so you may need to get better $$$ ones

Bearings $200-500 NDC cheapies - ACL race

Seals/Gaskets $600-1000

Modine/Oil Cooler $450

Block + Prepwork $500-$10,000 depending on how far you go, at that hp I'd be sleeving

Heads Freshened/Skimmed $500-$5000 minimum cleaned/skimmed valve grind - porting + cams cost goes up quickly

Head Gaskets $200-$500

ARP Head Studs $450

Forged Pistons $900-1200

Proper Sump $200-$1500

Oil Pump $450 I used an 11mm one off 2008 sti

Cam Belt Stuff $500-1200 (I used gates racing kevlar belt)

Balancing

Engine Builder - Mine spent 37 hours doing my engine properly, ended up with $3000+ bill but I did get my block bead blasted so it came back looking brand new and I got them to use torque plates for the boring and honing and they also dialed in my adjustable idlers

and thats just the engine, you'll still need a turbo that can make that power and all the supporting mods.

It adds up quick, my advise is to drive a 300 hp atw car first and decide if thats enough, it usually is on the street and still get you into trouble on the track.

Well if moneys no option then sweet as, the first big thing you need to figure out is closed deck or semi closed? a closed deck block is centre thrust but if your using an after market crank alot of them are rear thrust, so you may need to get what ever block converted.

Rear Thrust is better than centre thrust, so what you can do if find an open deck rear thrust block and get it custom closed decked, there are a few people doing this in nz now

If I were chasing that power I'd be building a EJ257 2.5 Litre and closed decking it or maybe sleeving on top

So far ive got this stuff ticked off the list

Crank $200-3000 depending on secondhand or new genuine or after market

Rods $500-2000 Eagles may fail at 450hp atw so you may need to get better $$$ ones

Bearings $200-500 NDC cheapies - ACL race

Seals/Gaskets $600-1000

Modine/Oil Cooler $450Block + Prepwork $500-$10,000 depending on how far you go, at that hp I'd be sleeving

Heads Freshened/Skimmed $500-$5000 minimum cleaned/skimmed valve grind - porting + cams cost goes up quickly

Head Gaskets $200-$500

ARP Head Studs $450Forged Pistons $900-1200

Proper Sump $200-$1500

Oil Pump $450 I used an 11mm one off 2008 sti

Cam Belt Stuff $500-1200 (I used gates racing kevlar belt)

Balancing

And my everyday is 300hp now

Whats the details on your crank?

centre or rear thrust? you said ARD??? it may actually have provision for either/or.

May advise is dont buy bearings and head gaskets till last, your builder will tell you what sizes you need

as for rebuilding it i plan to do it myself, have done cambelts, removed engines, oil/ water pump changes ect but when it comes to splitting the block this is my first time just need advice on where to go from here...

75mm stroke

thrust is 3rd

got givin it ,is it what i need.?

then you can only use an early phase 1 block, which is what all the closed deck blocks are.

the other differences with the early blocks is they only have 4 bolts the connect to the gearbox, but not really a drama you can still use late model gearboxes.

also the centre thrust bearings have a smaller thrust face surface area than the late model cranks, theres a theory I've read that with heavy pressure plates on your clutch it can put alot more pressure on the smaller ones and more likely to cause wear into the crank. which causes crank walk.

heres a pic, the one on the left is a centre thrust, the right is a rear thrust

leftcentrerightrear.jpg

insideleftcentrerightre.jpg

also most closed deck blocks have oil squirters

you dont have to get a new one, just trying to make sure you have all the info to make your own decision. people run centre thrust with no drama at all. If you go to a late crank you can drop one straight into a closed deck block

But if you do go to a later model crank there are a few to watch out for, you can get factory double cross drilled and nitrated cranks, usually from v8 spec c and later spec c's.

you can also get double cross drilled without the nitriding.....all of these double drilled cranks also have the oiling on a different angle on the mains (that feed the big ends), thats why later model engines are more reliable.

czar loc said:

as for rebuilding it i plan to do it myself, have done cambelts, removed engines, oil/ water pump changes ect but when it comes to splitting the block this is my first time just need advice on where to go from here...

75mm stroke

thrust is 3rd

got givin it ,is it what i need.?

maybe it would be a good idea to get someone to oversee the work. if iwas aiming for 500hp and spending 20k i wouldnt want it going up in smoke for any reason. not judging your ability.

how else do i learn lol, my mate rebuilt his last four engines but hes overseas n hard to get in conact with, and i do plan on getting a lil help from him when hes back next month. its just i dont want to be running round having to get the parts