Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How much power can a sti engine handle?

BlueTeamRacing

As title states.. Im in the postion at the moment of car being off the road - Getting turbo, injectors, link etc etc done and also planning on getting engine rebuilt and forged.

Just curious as to how much power people have made and ran on a standard sti engine? I was told when i brought my car it was forged but i dont believe it as it was cheap and the typical no reciepts and the guy was a tool. As i was planning on rebuilding anyway this didnt bother me.

Im tempted to leave engine as is and see how long it lasts but knowing my luck it will blow up on the dyno! >:(

chulozumo said:

Isn't his a spec c block?

Check out the garage section :)

There's a good few monsters in there...

Spec c block is no different... I'd say 250-270 kw atw, the rods will let go n you will need to upgrade oil pump to ensure everything runs smoothly...

But meh, pump it up n see what happens I guess?

• 4 weeks later...

if it ver5 sti it has an open deck block. It does Have better heads and cams than the trusty Ver4 but the blocks distort the bores and the head gaskets give issues on the open deck block when you pump some boost. If you dont over rev it or go about 240kw the stock rods will just live, and if its tuned right with a set of head studs fitted it should be all happy. If your wanting something mega grunty and abusable go to a better shortblock option

those open decks can take a tonne of punishment. its definitly the rods that are the weak point in factory form.

i run 25psi through mine and plenty of power... because its oprn deck the bores do warp eventually and yol get ring failure / blowby

From your guys experience am i better to buy a short block and fit that or to rebuild my current engine with new pistons, rods and headgasket and whatever else that may let it down? money wise whats the better option?

When i brought this car i was told its rebuilt but... how do you know really. Was planning on taking it to nzefi in two weeks for tune but still slightly worried its gonna go bang

Stoffa said:

Just get the engine youve got tuned, if it dies worry about it then

Will do cheers. Just curious new setup just about finished. Flipped manifold too and wanted to know if I can start the car with factory ecu to see if everything is ok? Not drive just to make sure I haven't missed anything before I tow it to get link and tune...

Mods done, t3t4 turbo, 800cc injectors, split fuel, tuned headers, exhaust, fuel pump

I wouldn't, after seeing my road tune get done with only minor turbo upgrade (18g) different inlet manifold and bigger injectors. it was leaning out under 4000rpm with a really light throttle position.

mainly as the new injectors had a very different flow curve

thats why I got a mate to do a road tune first, we had a few dramas getting it running, but mine was a brand new custom wiring loom. Im putting 1000+km on it and getting the whole intake and exhaust pressure smoke tested for leaks before hand.

hopefully if theres any problems I can find them myself.

paid $200 for my road tune

-BLKREX-']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

/quote]

Will do cheers. Just curious new setup just about finished. Flipped manifold too and wanted to know if I can start the car with factory ecu to see if everything is ok? Not drive just to make sure I haven't missed anything before I tow it to get link and tune...

Mods done, t3t4 turbo, 800cc injectors, split fuel, tuned headers, exhaust, fuel pump

pics bro i want to see this flip.

evowrx']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

/quote]

pics bro i want to see this flip.

Yup pics either this or next weekend. Still gotta sort split fuel setup, install new radiator and figure out if I can ditch the water header as new turbo only oil cooled

• 3 weeks later...
 tez n u said:

Buy a version 7 sti short block, i ran 24-25psi through it on a gt30/82r and it took it happily all day everyday ;D

i can confirm how hard the car got driven

and still stook up to it real nice