Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

DRIFT STI OR NOT ???

Hay guys , im putting very serious thought in buying a 94-97 sti for the purpose of drifting,

my question i put to you is, how well do you think the rear diff gearbox and engine would respond to this kind of punishment ?

thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond to this, cheers guys

have seen it done to subys and mitsis - the only way its gonna last is custom sub frame + R200 diff (r160 and r180 will just keep on popping)

and either bell housing adaptor or a cut and shut bell housing and use a z32 or rb25det gear box - will more than likely need to cut and weld the tranny tunnel to make it fit unless u want it to hang out and scrape the ground

my 2 cents - not worth it - for the money you would put into it to make it a strong RWD setup - you could have a RWD car fully caged and ready to drift -

cos once the drive train is sorted - i dont see subaru engines lasting very long getting the revs raped out of them all day long

Don't mean to sound rude,

but if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't attempt. Unless you have a lot of money and time to spend on this then there isn't too much point when most nissans make a perfectly good drift platform and there are so many aftermarket parts available specifically for drifting

it can be done but it isn't easy and things will break

2 cents

hate-evoz said:

get a cefiro or silvia... keep to nissans ... although theres heaps of subi drifters, youtube it.

cefiros are too long for drifting - big whales - a31s are the most out dated thing out

darren benjamin is doing well in a c35 however - powered via 2jz and alot of chassis mods

shorter cars are much more agile - s13 14 15 180sx etc etc etc

thats just me however

nissan <3 :-*

nissans make drifting cheaper than most other cars - engines / gearboxs / diffs and everything else is much much cheaper (mainly because so many people crash them and wreck them) plus the aftermarket parts are everywhere

theres alot of things to consider when setting a car up to get sideways

Yea I would just pick up a cheap S13 and thrash the funk out of it, search bloodmasters and get a missile! But if you really want to drift a scooby do it man! There is a real good thread ill dig up for you about so me dude converting one in the states for drifting, not cheap tho.

Nic said:

Yea I would just pick up a cheap S13 and thrash the funk out of it, search bloodmasters and get a missile! But if you really want to drift a scooby do it man! There is a real good thread ill dig up for you about so me dude converting one in the states for drifting, not cheap tho.

not cheap at all - and a proper RWD car will out drift it any day

RWD subaru is all and only good for a flat peaker to do some "mean burnouts and smokeys bro" - then POP goes the drive line and or motor

for the money it will cost - you will have a far far far more advanced nissan which WILL be a hell of a lot more reliable for the task

94 Leone said:

Screw the rb nation, honda s2000 vtec ftw! Lol.

Just my useless 2c worth, but the revvyness of a vtec would make it suitable for drifting.

also the chassis is tuned towards driving and a bitch to make into a drifter and the steering mechanisms is not the usual electronic or something can't remember now as I stopped reading when I realized its mostly male hairdressers that drive em

STiNGR said:

At last someone mentioned Toyota. If you got tin to chuck around go get a jzx100. Hook some gears in one of them! Personally i would get a bad boy FC

bulletproof engines but family car shells IMO. engine conversion ftw.

94 Leone said:

Screw the rb nation, honda s2000 vtec ftw! Lol.

Just my useless 2c worth, but the revvyness of a vtec would make it suitable for drifting.

S2000 are notoriously twitchy and would be extremely hard to handle.

evowrx']

turbo honda powered silvias...very cool, stock engine, low boost, massive power.

nissan s*** maybe common at the moment but the prices are being pushed up coz of demand.

We must be on different planets - Nissan parts are as cheap as chips - and get cheaper as time goes on as stuff is only getting even older

At last someone mentioned Toyota. If you got tin to chuck around go get a jzx100. Hook some gears in one of them! Personally i would get a bad boy FC

bulletproof engines but family car shells IMO. engine conversion ftw.

Been done before - hugos ae86 HAD a turbod f20c - he binned it for a rotor

RBs and JZs aren't as great as they're made out to be - rb has a huge heavy cast block and pushes weight forward in front of the axle

SR - light alloy block disperses weight much better - and a square bore x stroke makes allot of torque and ability to spoil turbos quickly

But that's only my opinion and by judging what ie owned in the past

Toyota parts are far more expensive

I am a little biased I know but aren't we all ???

[quote name='94 Leone said:

All the more fun, actually much like the old column change toyota 2WD hilux's with the twitchyness.

The one key thing with drifting is consistency - having a car that handles like a mongrel is no good when your pushing it to its limits - you need a car + a setup which is very predictable

• General Member

While in my experience Nissan parts are cheap WRXONP you seem to pay through the nose for a half decent base Nissan nowadays.

Been doing a lot of looking at Skylines lately and people want the earth for crap.

tried buying suspension bits from a wrecker lately? perfect example had to find a r33 front arm the other day 10 wreckers later i got one...common much. does depend what youre buying though.

sr are mint, common in 400m cars in states thats where gaz gets all his shit from.

rbs dont seem to have the reliability that the jzs have especially on stock unopened block. any racing is reliability over peak power.

toyota parts well stock toyotas dont seem to break cept the common rail 2005- stuff under 120,000kms engine rebuilds but thats another story.

All seems overkill for someone just looking at getting into it.

another note the rwd wrx plate is up for grabs...

evowrx said:

tried buying suspension bits from a wrecker lately? perfect example had to find a r33 front arm the other day 10 wreckers later i got one...common much. does depend what youre buying though.

sr are mint, common in 400m cars in states thats where gaz gets all his s*** from.

rbs dont seem to have the reliability that the jzs have especially on stock unopened block. any racing is reliability over peak power.

toyota parts well stock toyotas dont seem to break cept the common rail 2005- stuff under 120,000kms engine rebuilds but thats another story.

Ever tried getting anything from a wrecker period ? Nuff said

Stock Toyota turbos are junk

Toyota gearboxes are severely over priced

Curt Whittaker blew a 2jz this season

Cole blew a fully forged rb30

Andrew redward blew a rb

Mad mike blew his 4 rotor last season

I could keep going - basically no motors bullet proof when it's being abused on the rev limiter all it's track life

WRXONP']

[quote name='evowrx said:

sr are mint, common in 400m cars in states thats where gaz gets all his s*** from.

/quote]

Ever tried getting anything from a wrecker period ? Nuff said

Stock Toyota turbos are junk

Toyota gearboxes are severely over priced

Curt Whittaker blew a 2jz this season

Cole blew a fully forged rb30

Andrew redward blew a rb

Mad mike blew his 4 rotor last season

I could keep going - basically no motors bullet proof when it's being abused on the rev limiter all it's track life

being in business its a tad unprofessional and a f*ckin mish to buy parts off trademe. wreckers for the most parts are mint just a little overpriced i know thats how everyone feels about strongs on here maybe not henderson p/w...tradme parts can be moonbeams tho you should know that having owned a mitzi.

i stand by what i said.

lol for starters how ever - if you were looking for something r33 specific - you know other vehicles parts fit right??

but anywho - wreckers are wreckers - buy cars for chips - sell parts for moon beans and make 1000000x profit on each car