Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What can make a tapping sound from the flywheel area?

Guest keltik

Well yes i realise that, im just pointing out that in this particular case its rather redundant to check every gear and make a little chart

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing Keltic. We are all just here to help.

If it was my car, or a customers, I'd diagnose it... It only takes a few minutes, you know whether the box is going to be a throw away or just a gear and bearings, and, most importantly(because we all know what a rip off it is when the mechanics strip your box to fix what turns out to be a crook release bearing), You know you are fixing the right thing.

That's juust me though, I'm funny like that.

Just did the drive thing

makes noise in all gears when the car is moving whether clutch engaged or not. Not specifically louder in any gear. Pretty much matches the engine revs except when coasting in gear. then noise matches the gear ie slower in 5th than 1st

If i'm coasting really slow in a gear with the clutch down it's really slow.

When parked with the Handbrake on putting it in gear as if to pull away then easing the clutch out but not enough to stall th noise almost goes -I guess it's cos the revs drop right down and the gears dont move.

It doesn't sound too metalic. Pretty light thudding sound. Almost plasticy infact the same as a screwdriver handle against the bell housing.

Drives fine and if have the windows up I can't hear it at all or notice anything amiss when driving. Even the shifter doesn't transmit any vibrations

Had some scary quotes today-testing the waters.

Where would i find the numbers on the casing?

Well...

"When parked with the Handbrake on putting it in gear as if to pull away then easing the clutch out but not enough to stall th noise almost goes -I guess it's cos the revs drop right down and the gears dont move."

In gear, not moving the gears aren't moving at all. Sooo.. If the noise ALMOST goes away, I have to presume that there is still a noise there, and, that would make me think it must be something in the clutch or motor.

Next step it to devise a test for the clutch and motor...

I was just about to suggest you check for rocks between the mounts and crossmembers when I reread the thread.... you say it reminded you of a mount! Have you checked mounts(including rocks stuck between them and the body), the pitch control etc?

Cheaper than a gearbox!

I mean i could make the noise go if I stalled it. fully depressing the clutch and all noise stops. Starts again as soon as clutch starts to bite.

Either way the box has gotta come out to check the clutch first.

Guess what I'm doing all day Thurs?!

THe big pain is the nissan is out too because the power steering hose split on the weekend. New one on it's way for $30 but grounded till then :(

checked the mounts, i'm pretty certain its a box or clutch thing, maybe something tapping the drive coming out the back of the clutch

So as soon as the clutch starts to grip the noise starts, right? Even when the car isn't moving at all, right?

Well the motor and box would be trying to twist on it's mounts in that scenario, but the gears aren't moving at all, so I'd be checking mounts, something sitting on the crossmember under the bell-housing, something like that.

In my opinion, it's very unlikely to be inside the box... assuming your descriptions are accurate.

Yup, well it's tricky. Diagnosis is part science and part statistical probability and part testing what is easiest first.

See my last post, you didn't answer the first two questions, You didn't tell me if the noise got louder when it is under load as I suggested either. Perhaps the guys here are right, perhaps it is inside. Without driving it and listening to it myself I don't think I can be any more help to you.

Been poking around until it got dark

to answer q's as soon as the clutch starts to bite, the noise starts. with the car blocked and on stands.

but after some looking pretty hard and feeling stuff I cant determine where the noise is sourced but I did notice some pretty bright burs on the corner of the fly wheel teeth. Not the normal witness marks from the starter. But some random marks on the rearward edges of the teeth.

Now is it possible for something to get flicked up inside and wedged in the clutch mechanism that either rubs the housing or primary drive only when the clutch is engaged?

I've not had one apart, and from the drawings I can't imagine how much of the assembly rotates in relation to each other to work it out.

Thanks for the help so far :) :)

it does sound to me that u you have broken the anti vibration springs on the clutch plate or maybe one of the pressure plate fingers has come loose...

and I too am a mechanic,and this would be my diagnoisis going on what has been said

Just a thought......What about getting the car up to about 80km/hr then leaving it in gear pushing the clutch in and turning the engine off.

If it still makes the noise then definitely gearbox or clutch plate if the noise stops then could be pressure plate, release bearing or something else that rotates/moves with the engine.

is the noise constant ?

Does the noise get faster with incresed rpm? = gearbox

Does the noise go away with increased rpm? = clutch damper spring issue

Does it get noiser when you drive it in any particular gear?

Ichi Ban said:

is the noise constant ?

some of the answers already given

makes noise in all gears when the car is moving whether clutch engaged or not. Not specifically louder in any gear. Pretty much matches the engine revs except when coasting in gear. then noise matches the gear ie slower in 5th than 1st

When parked with the Handbrake on putting it in gear as if to pull away then easing the clutch out but not enough to stall th noise almost goes -I guess it's cos the revs drop right down and the gears dont move.

funkytown']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

is the noise constant ?

/quote]

Yip me a Muppet, should have read the entire topic :)

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

is the noise constant ?

/quote]

Yip me a Muppet, should have read the entire topic :)

Sweet someone else knows the word Muppet and uses it

Anyways my 2cents: start with the cheaper option of replacing stuff (if it is a spring it will bound to be cheaper than say a rebuilt box...)

Disclaimer I aint no mechanic but like money in my pocket...

Master Muppet out ;D

Guest boostcut

^^^^ this is true... drain oil pull box and take clutch off... buy new clutch while your in there, pull box apart fix wats broke and refit.. and refill with oil

Ahh the old good old "carpet bomb" diagnostics there boostcut

Replace everything you see and hope for the best !!

For all we know it might be a crank thrust bearing failure!!

Like i said earlier, without a look inside there's no way of knowing so starting this arvo it's gonna go like this.

start the laborious process of removing box, IC, cables/wires, front/middle exhaust, slave cylinder

Pop the ball joints and CV's out

Rear drive shaft

Then all the 'box bolts and lower the thing to the floor.

Pull off clutch-examine (most likely replace), there's a place in Wairau that skims the flywheel for free when you buy a clutch

Hopefully the damage was clutch related.

Turn gears and listen/feel for problems. If bad, crack it open and look inside whilst crying at the money it's gonna cost.

I mainly keep thinking it's clutch, because of all the little burs i can see on the flywheel from underneath-fingers crossed

Replace all the bits and be on my way

Sounds like a plan?

Been there, done all the combos i can think of. but in everycase the sound only appears when power is going through the back of the clutch/primary drive.

Coasting in neutral with no ignition=no noise.

Maybe I should cut an access hatch to have a look.........;)