Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy 1994 RS - information needed

1994legacyrs

Hi,

I have recently bought a legacy rs 1994 5spd manual (2.0L) sedan and I want to do a complete fluid service. I've been to repco and looked on the haynes website and they don't have a manual for the RS model. Does anyone know of a good service manual that specifically covers my model? Links would be appreciated.

I would also love to know any specs for the motor - such as HP, Torque, gas millage etc

Thanks

You're beasty made 183kw at the flywheel when it rolled off the production line, although 15yrs will have reduced that somewhat. There's nothing out there that specifically covers your model although you can piece together how it works by using the USDM spec manual for the 94, JDM manual for the 97, and even the newer ones have similar components.

Fluid service is fairly easy though, not a lot changed in how you do oil/coolant/brake fluid/etc through the different models so these manuals will do the trick.

1994legacyrs said:

Hi,

I have recently bought a legacy rs 1994 5spd manual (2.0L) sedan and I want to do a complete fluid service. I've been to repco and looked on the haynes website and they don't have a manual for the RS model. Does anyone know of a good service manual that specifically covers my model? Links would be appreciated.

I would also love to know any specs for the motor - such as HP, Torque, gas millage etc

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have decided just to do the engine, gearbox and differential oils at this stage.

What oil would you guys recommend to run? 05w-40? 10w-30?

There would be three differentials wouldn't there? I looked on one of the manuals given and it recommends GL-5 for the rear differential. I assume it would be the same for all three? Is there any specific GL-5 anyone recommends?

As far as the gearbox (transmission) oil is concerned - Any specific types again?

Sorry for all the questions

gearbox /frontdiff and centre diff all lubriacted from same oil

75w90 GL5 oil is what you are after for your MT

Where about do you live as this plays a role in what oil to choose!

What sort of temperatures do you see over the year?

Thank you for your reply. My knowledge is fairly streched when it comes to my legacy as my previous car was a honda civic. I take it MT stands for main tranny or something? Like i said, i'm not quite up with the lingo (I'm willing to learn!)

So then the transmission (front and centre diff as well) are all lubricated by the same oil and it uses 75w-90 GL-5 which is also used in the rear differential?

I experience maybe high 20's in the summer - and sub 0 in the winter (at the moment my car is in-cased with ice in the morning! - damn frosts!)

I live in the Nelson Bays - Motueka, but I live close to the mountains hence the heavy frosts.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated! ;)

By the way - I am working on the assumption that when I raise the car and look under I will be able to locate the rear differential and transmission bolts to drain and the fill with oil. Are they easy to locate - or is there some trick to it?

Drain fittings very easy to find

Fill MT (manual transmission) via the level dipstick (approx 3.5ltrs)

for winter there being so cold i'd suggest an oil 5w30 or 0w30 for normal driving

Do a web search and get an idea of what these ratings are and make an informed choice

Plenty of guys here will now FLAME ME because I have answered what is a subject with so many possiblitiies with my own opinion

But bring it on

Ichi Ban said:

Drain fittings very easy to find

Fill MT (manual transmission) via the level dipstick (approx 3.5ltrs)

for winter there being so cold i'd suggest an oil 5w30 or 0w30 for normal driving

Do a web search and get an idea of what these ratings are and make an informed choice

Plenty of guys here will now FLAME ME because I have answered what is a subject with so many possiblitiies with my own opinion

But bring it on

Semi-synthetic recommended as well??

Try mentioning an Oil brand as well, and then see how far the thread can go ;)

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

As an update a just bought 5L of 10w-40 semi-synthetic and an oil filter along with 4L Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5. I hope 4L will be enough for the tranny and rear diff.

Anyone see anything majorly wrong with my choice? The car isn't going to puke the oil back up in disgust?

I can picture it now - the car in a roar of flames because I fed it the wrong oil! :-\

All good, but youl probably end up about 500ml short on gear oil

DO the rear diff first ( as the gearbox could handle the oil being little low until you picked some more, but the rear diff wont like having low oil)

Best you drive around nice and sedate (no boosting) until you can fill your tank with 95 or better octane fuel

All it takes is some detonation (esp on an older engine) and it's good bye big end bearing !

You have been warned :)

Guest boostcut

hell yeah! id be goin to repco for some octane booster, not that it really works but you know...

UPDATE

Thanks guys I have just done the Oil and Filter but because of time constraints, I left the rest.

I looked at the rear differential and there was two bolts one on top of another facing the the rear of the car. I have to think of a way to get the oil in - any tips?

As far as the transmission goes, I am pretty sure I found the drain, a big bolt on the bottom of the transmission. I had a look around for the filler though and the only thing I found was a dipstick under the intercooler. Looks like I'll have to take off the intercooler to get at the filler? Is the filler just where the dipstick is?

While I was under the car I noticed hat where the exhaust came down from the manifold half the heat shield was broken off and it had some insulation type stuff underneath it. It looks fairly easy to replace - just a couple of clamps holding it on - but is it really that important? If it is I am sure I can find a replacement at the wreckers or something.

I put most of the 5L of oil (maybe 4-4.5L) in and it was reading just below full. I drove it home and let it settle (it was on the flat at both times) and it read just above full? I thought if anything the oil level would have dropped? It is maybe 0.5cm above full - I heard it is bad for the engine to run too much oil? Your thoughts on the matter would help.

Thanks again guys